What are the main criticisms of Stefan Molyneux

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 6:31 pm

I've recently started looking into libertarian and individualist ideas, so I'm not too familiar with differences between details. This is the first fellow i've been following on a regular basis.

Besides some controversial defooing, I think 95% of his ideas are
Phenomenal. Been listening to his podcasts as they come out since a couple months, and the archives mostly in order. Up to January 2006 so far.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 10:49 pm

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 11:35 pm

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 5:31 am

Critics say that if you give people freedom to choose for themselves, then they make foolish choices. Therefore people are better off when a government agent makes those decisions for the people. People are better off when government manages many aspects of a person's life, so that foolish decisions are minimized.

Critics argue:
more government = more freedom
more government = more prosperity

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 10:01 am

Personally I dislike him for largely aesthetic reasons. His writing style - there is absolutely no place whatsoever for martial 'dragon-slayer' metaphors in any treatise on ethics which hopes to earn my esteem.

As a non-empiricist I'd disagree with Molyneux either way but generally I like reading the works of those with whom I disagree. Something about Molyneux is, to me, just repulsive.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 10:21 am

A quick google search turned up: http://www.molyneuxrevealed.com/

The guy doesn't really crop up on my radar often, but I do recall something on youtube I watched that suggests he has a pretty insane view of women.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 10:28 pm

adifferentname wrote:
A quick google search turned up: http://www.molyneuxrevealed.com/

The guy doesn't really crop up on my radar often, but I do recall something on youtube I watched that suggests he has a pretty insane view of women.

He has a sort of strawman argument about crazy and anxious women- and i do contend that on average, they are, in comparison to men.
From what i've heard from him, he blames child abuse and many sociopolitica ills of society on women- they tend to be needy, and emotionally more unstable, support liberals,etc.
Obviously not every woman is satan's spawn, but you do see where the occasional woman"shaming" comes in.
He has strong points about child abuse, and also feminism.

I'm pretty sure now the main criticism is his demeanor and "defooing" look the term up.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 5:44 am

He thinks Ayn Rand was a philosopher.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2014, 10:46 am

This is me reading between the lines because I don't know if he's outright said it -- Molyneux likes to paint a picture that nearly all mistakes men make in male-female relationships can be attributed to enabling or permitting bad behavior on the part of women. Take this sad sack of a caller for instance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSV3R5hwMsM When Molyneux starts probing caller about his parents Molyneux quickly jumps on the bandwagon that the mother is an abusive alcoholic abuser, and so this means the father's worst sin must be being too darn spineless to stop putting up with it. Worldview seems to be based on his own upbringing.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 12:25 pm

The_Znof wrote:
He thinks Ayn Rand was a philosopher.

Aw, snap!

A burden discerned in the blood you taste