Can Aspies actually have clinical Social Anxiety?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 2:10 am

Orangez wrote:
Of course autism can lead to social anxiety. If you get punished for doing something wrong and you fail to understand what you did wrong was then you body goes into the flight or fight response telling you to get out of your situation. Thus, your body will get use to this situation and it grow itno full social anxiety.

Or you can be anxious around others from past bullying experiences, mishaps, etc. It's not about punishment.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 3:57 am

agwood wrote:
It seems some psychiatrists are actually too quick to diagnose ASD in place of SAD.

http://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/ ... s-syndrome

Even in the beginning of the article there is a significant error...'school refusal' is not an anxiety disorder, social phobia is but the mention of 'school refusal' being an anxiety disorder makes me question the credibility of the article already...and before I go further with reading it I would also like to point out it is quite possible to have both Aspergers and an Anxiety Disorder, anxiety and depression are common co-morbids.

Having now finished the article even more skeptical about its credibility since its been proven people with autism do not automatically lack empathy....its the expressing it that can be difficult, though there could be people with aspergers who do lack it but that is not necessarily the case. And what does it mean 'lack insight' surely we do not lack insight in any and all situations, topics....for instance we have lots of insight as to how it feels to have autism, how people have reacted to that or behaviors having to do with it. And that is how I feel about that article.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 4:04 pm

Yes. Trauma can be one precursor to the development of social anxiety. It also presents sometimes as a comorbid to PTSD. Neither are incompatible to being on the spectrum, one does not cancel the others out.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/My%20Documents/Downloads/09e4150fec132dc7c2000000.pdf