Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 8:52 pm

Those who study the afterlife conclude that in the afterlife, we no longer feel interested in sex or other human elements. It must be so great being an atheist without ever worrying about things outside the physical universe. Its so depressing and to add this all up, there can't be any justice in this life or hereafter because on one hand you have a paradise with the trade off being obsolescence of sexual interest and this cold physical reality on Earth.

If there is really something or someone out there, I'd rather have him fix this Earth and in brief I'm saying I wish for an afterlife that is physical and earthly. Nobody surrounding me is convinced of what I want and it's not going to even happen anyway.

Like one of my dreams outside the realm of possibility is to escape the present and go back to live when my parents were growing up. I feel so lonely and left out in today's modern society. Technological singularity, doomsday threats, robot automation, bad political structures, I want them all gone or changed. I feel rotten and broken because whoever is out there doesn't want to involve itself in Earthly affairs.

I am crying and I feel real pain in my stomach at the demise of earthly society but I want human civilization to be renewed. Spiritually or religion can't even make me happy.

I feel like if God exists, it gave me a major injustice not only here, but even hereafter.

I don't feel safe anymore.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 9:04 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Technological singularity, doomsday threats, robot automation, bad political structures, I want them all gone or changed. I feel rotten and broken because whoever is out there doesn't want to involve itself in Earthly affairs.

I am crying and I feel real pain in my stomach at the demise of earthly society but I want human civilization to be renewed. Spiritually or religion can't even make me happy.

Sounds like the 'Unabomber manifesto': industrialization leads to personal suffering.

" Never forget that a human being with technology is exactly like an alcoholic with a barrel of wine"
- Ted Kaczynski

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 9:10 pm

What?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 9:41 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
Technological singularity, doomsday threats, robot automation, bad political structures, I want them all gone or changed. I feel rotten and broken because whoever is out there doesn't want to involve itself in Earthly affairs.

Sounds like the 'Unabomber manifesto': industrialization leads to personal suffering.

" Never forget that a human being with technology is exactly like an alcoholic with a barrel of wine"
- Ted Kaczynski

You could also say the same of the Luddites of the 19th century.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 2:47 pm

Wow. It's kind of amazing that I saw this thread right after I had ordered the book Dialectic of Enlightenment.

Quote:
Dialectic of Enlightenment is undoubtedly the most influential publication of the Frankfurt School of Critical Theory. Written during the Second World War and circulated privately, it appeared in a printed edition in Amsterdam in 1947. "What we had set out to do," the authors write in the Preface, "was nothing less than to explain why humanity, instead of entering a truly human state, is sinking into a new kind of barbarism."

http://www.amazon.com/Dialectic-Enlight ... ightenment

Very interesting topic you brought up.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 6:56 pm

There are many reasons to be excited and even positive about the future, yet to me, social entropy seems to be stealthily making its mark. People often see a small change and think little of it, but taken over time you can see the deleterious effect.

Curse words for example. People think there's little wrong with overt use of sh*t. Thirty years ago, it was very impolite to use the word. And now it's even acceptable to use the F-bomb in everyday speech. The C-bomb is becoming an everyday word too. And kids think nothing of calling each other a mother-f***** now. I hate the last two. Both are underhanded derogation of women.

Curse words aren't the only evidence of us being on the slippery slope downhill. And the pace of change makes everyone scurry to look after their own stuff and care less about others.

Here's just a few reasons why we are more isolated these days:
Technology replaces human contact and human activity.
The market is all about making a buck out of everything that moves.
The extrovert ideal means we have to sell ourselves rather than be real.
Relationships are now brief and intense rather than long and deep.
Looking after number one means we are more fickle, and less communal.
Want it now / get it now, means we don't value things as we once did.
We rely on 'agencies' to do all the caring, social work.
The corporation is about dividends to investors, not social responsibility.
Corporations fail, directors walk away with zillions, investors lose.
There are fewer dreamers to take us forward because we're in survival mode.
People only care about own survival these days.

But.....

They can't breed the humanity out of us that easily. I still see moments of humanity in people, where we are made to remember just who we are and brought together in support. After 9/11 I saw that. After the siege in Sydney, just the other day, I saw the outpouring of the human spirit. They say tragedy and adversity brings out the best in us. Sometimes prosperity and progress just makes us socially lazy and more selfish. But sometimes it just takes an act of kindness to renew our faith in people.

One thing that helps me feel better is to commit a random act of kindness. It really does help, and both sides of the act gain something positive.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2014, 8:39 pm

Society hurts because we don't know about the world around us. The world that we live in is from our Lord Jesus Christ.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:56 pm

Misery arises from desire.

Desire for changes that we are unwilling or unable to effect.

Desire for betterment through acquisition of material items.

Desire for what others have earned for themselves.

There seems to be a lot of misery being expressed in threads like this one.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 9:00 pm

queensamaria wrote:
Society hurts because we don't know about the world around us. The world that we live in is from our Lord Jesus Christ.

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Now that I'm out, my actions and thoughts are more consistent with my beliefs. Yay me! lol

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 9:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
Misery arises from desire.

I'm sure Maslow would love to hear that.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 12:35 am

People are hurt from the world and see it as an unsafe place because they're not sure of it; they're not sure of what they think and believe of it, its a mystery to them, I think humans are afraid of things they don't know.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 2:43 am

The world has always been dangerous and probably always will be. Before the corporations and the present insane anti-terrorist nonsense there were were the aristocracy and the powerful religious officials who could chop off your head or burn you up if you disagreed with them. The human species has a tendency to produce powerful vicious bullies and insane idiots. As for forbidden curse words, the more you use them the less power they have. I spent a couple of years in the army and every third word was what might be considered unacceptable language and it it was hardly noticed, if at all. There are more important things to get upset about like torture and starving people and crooked government and war.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 11:38 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Like one of my dreams outside the realm of possibility is to escape the present and go back to live when my parents were growing up. I feel so lonely and left out in today's modern society.

And your parents probably wish they could go back to when their parents were growing up and the same for their parents and so on all the way back....
Thirty years from now we'll look back on the 2010's as the "good old days" and that cycle will live on forever.
Play the hand you're dealt as best you can because that's all you have to work with.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 12:38 pm

Raptor wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
Like one of my dreams outside the realm of possibility is to escape the present and go back to live when my parents were growing up. I feel so lonely and left out in today's modern society.

And your parents probably wish they could go back to when their parents were growing up and the same for their parents and so on all the way back....
Thirty years from now we'll look back on the 2010's as the "good old days" and that cycle will live on forever.
Play the hand you're dealt as best you can because that's all you have to work with.

And yet people are stupid enough to keep reproducing the species.