Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TransientTurmoil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2014, 5:04 am

Over the past year I have been wondering if I have Asperger's. I do not want to see a professional because I'm afraid that if I am diagnosed, I will use it as an excuse not to try to accomplish my goals. At least if I hear it from people who are not professionals, there will be enough doubt so as to not have an excuse. I have always been somewhat anti-social, but this is not particularly significant. Many people are shy and don't have a disorder. I didn't hear about the narrow interest symptom of Asperger's until about a year ago. This made me wonder. Here's the thing: I have had many different intense interests, but only one at a time. These obsessions have been wide and varied. As a child I was obsessed with dinosaurs. More recently, I have become obsessed with mathematics. I may be obsessed with the same thing for weeks, months, or years. When I grow bored of an obsession, I am often depressed until I find a new one. When in this state of flux, I have existential crises almost daily. I am the same way with music. I have enjoyed almost every genre of music, but only one at a time.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 5:11 am

could be. You show some traits, including love for music.

what about hyperactivity, toe walking, oversensitivity to some pains and high tolerance for others, intense love for animals, obsession with water, fascination with blinking lights and swaying objects, rocking, dulll voice, faraway look in the eyes, insomnia, stomach aches, sensitivity to lights, fear of noise?

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 5:17 am

TransientTurmoil wrote:
I do not want to see a professional because I'm afraid that if I am diagnosed, I will use it as an excuse not to try to accomplish my goals.

Why would you use AS as an excuse to not try to accomplish your goals? Even if you have AS you're the same person you were before getting a diagnosis, so if you tried to reach your goals before finding out about AS there's nothing that says you can't do so after finding out about it as well. Do you know what I mean?

TransientTurmoil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2014, 5:26 am

rebbieh wrote:
TransientTurmoil wrote:
I do not want to see a professional because I'm afraid that if I am diagnosed, I will use it as an excuse not to try to accomplish my goals.

Why would you use AS as an excuse to not try to accomplish your goals? Even if you have AS you're the same person you were before getting a diagnosis, so if you tried to reach your goals before finding out about AS there's nothing that says you can't do so after finding out about it as well. Do you know what I mean?

Yeah I know, but I have a tendency to over-think everything. I have forced myself to try to improve my social skills over the years, and I feel that if I was diagnosed with AS, I would stop trying.

TransientTurmoil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2014, 5:33 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:

what about hyperactivity, toe walking, oversensitivity to some pains and high tolerance for others, intense love for animals, obsession with water, fascination with blinking lights and swaying objects, rocking, dulll voice, faraway look in the eyes, insomnia, stomach aches, sensitivity to lights, fear of noise?

I have always had trouble sleeping, mostly because I can't stop thinking about whatever it is I'm obsessed with. Though I don't think I have insomnia. I also may be more or less sensitive to certain pain than other people, but how am I to know how other people feel pain? I think I was hyperactive as a child, but I don't know. Again, hyperactive compared to who?

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 6:09 am

If you meet the criteria in the DSM 5, that's the first step towards knowing. Use online tests and look back on your past school reports or any other material that describes your growing up process.

Obsessive interests aren't the most distinguishing symptom of AS (unless very narrow). You'd want to look more into your ability to read body language, facial expression, tone and other non-verbal behaviours and your social cognition. Sensory sensitivities (especially auditory, ~80% +) are very common in AS.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 10:15 am

No one here can possibly know if you have AS. Seek an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional if you want an official diagnosis, and not the opinions of strangers on a social website.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2014, 10:53 am

Actually, the reason people seek professional help is that they have consistently had problems, and they want to make their lives better. It's actually a way of taking responsibility for your future rather than just blaming your problems on circumstances, the failures of other, or inadequacies in your society. When you take the step of going to a clinic to be evaluated, that is an acknowledgement that it's within your power to change how you approach things.

Basically, by saying, "I have Asperger's," you're saying things like, "No, it is not normal that I have not interacted with anyone other than my band-mates for the past three months. I need to call my mother, and I have a college roomie I haven't chatted with since last September. I can't let this Asperger's rule my life." Seeking diagnosis means actually trying to resolve the problem rather than trying to explain away or excuse behaviors that are damaging to your social health.

Same with depression. People who say, "Oh, I'm not depressed. I'm fine. I'm just feeling blue," are the ones who end up taking up drinking heavily, doing drugs, and engaging in other self-destructive behaviors. Seeking help means you have made up your mind that you want to live a better life.

However, if you don't have any real problems associated with these behaviors, is there a problem?

Insania2016
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2014, 10:16 am

TransientTurmoil wrote:
Over the past year I have been wondering if I have Asperger's. I do not want to see a professional because I'm afraid that if I am diagnosed, I will use it as an excuse not to try to accomplish my goals. At least if I hear it from people who are not professionals, there will be enough doubt so as to not have an excuse. I have always been somewhat anti-social, but this is not particularly significant. Many people are shy and don't have a disorder. I didn't hear about the narrow interest symptom of Asperger's until about a year ago. This made me wonder. Here's the thing: I have had many different intense interests, but only one at a time. These obsessions have been wide and varied. As a child I was obsessed with dinosaurs. More recently, I have become obsessed with mathematics. I may be obsessed with the same thing for weeks, months, or years. When I grow bored of an obsession, I am often depressed until I find a new one. When in this state of flux, I have existential crises almost daily. I am the same way with music. I have enjoyed almost every genre of music, but only one at a time.

Nothing you say stands out to me. Plus, it is suspicious that you don't want to see a professional for a formal diagnosis. If it is that important to know then go see a psychiatrist and express your concerns. A part of the diagnosis process is being able to actually see you, study your body language, how you speak, etc. It takes time.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 10:25 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:

Most of those aren't AS traits!

And this is why, topic creator, you should seek a professional diagnosis if you really want to know whether you have AS or not.