What do you all think about the atmosphere right now?

Page 9 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Harvey
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Dec 2014, 2:01 pm

the news is censored, it is more like entertainment... the gloom and doom type... sky news in England is probably the worse... the news there is a joke.

Definitely, these certain agencies / individuals want a race war in the inner cities, and such... the programming and the manipulation is designed for the NT minds of the general population...

the question is, when will the riots start up again like in the the 1960's?

the police are not beneficial, they do not serve much of a real and proper function in society any more... more like producing revenue for job security...

there are still some police who are decent individuals with good intentions, but this is becoming rare these days.

since i became aware of crooked cops in the 70's in Detroit, i do not trust them and do not like them

Repay laughter
with laughter again
but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind, people are saying the cops are using deadly force against the unarmed but think about things for a moment...if the cops all have guns then no one is really unarmed because a big strong guy can easily get that gun from the cop suddenly he is no longer unarmed and cops know this. It helps to think about what makes them tick psychologically and reach your own conclusions. You truly are safest when you aren't challenging cops. Just do what they say and do not make any sudden moves.

Actually it would depend on various factors whether any given 'big strong guy' could easily get the gun. For one there is the psychological aspect, not everyone really likes having a gun pointed at them due to the fact that if you get shot with one there is a good chance you die which might get in the way of attempting anything like that. It is possible a large violent person could potentially disarm an armed cop if they wanted but I do not think one should be assumed violent due to their physical size or any other physical trait.

You would be surprised by how many people convince themselves they don't care if they live or die at that moment. Sure they might care later but it can be too late then.

I really doubt I'd be surprised as I am already aware there is that aspect, but plenty of people would not convince themselves of that...and would probably not consider fighting/disarming a cop who stops them. Not sure ones size or any other physical features implies anything about likelihood to attempt anything like that.

The ones who don't try are the ones like me. We don't experience the ridiculously ugly side of cops because we don't confront them. We value our lives and put that first. Yeah mistakes happen but the vast majority who are harmed by cops either resist arrest, or are armed with a gun or some kind of weapon.

Some criminal who have been to prison hate it so much they would rather be dead than go back those are the ones who are likely to confront the cop, try to get his weapon and are in the most danger of getting shot.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 2:25 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The ones who don't try are the ones like me. We don't experience the ridiculously ugly side of cops because we don't confront them. We value our lives and put that first. Yeah mistakes happen but the vast majority who are harmed by cops either resist arrest, or are armed with a gun or some kind of weapon.

Some criminal who have been to prison hate it so much they would rather be dead than go back those are the ones who are likely to confront the cop, try to get his weapon and are in the most danger of getting shot.

Do you have a source for this fact that the vast majority of people harmed by cops are resisting arrest or armed? Also I would not be to terribly surprised if people who aren't actually 'resisting' still accused of it...I think you're problem is you live under the illusion that 'if you're doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about'.

Also your initial example pretty much implied its ok for a cop to pre-emtively use excessive force on someone due to physical appearance. I mean are you saying by default how much one values their life depends on their physical size...so bigger people don't care as much so its ok for cops to harrass them? seems to be kind of what you where arguing.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 2:35 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind, people are saying the cops are using deadly force against the unarmed but think about things for a moment...if the cops all have guns then no one is really unarmed because a big strong guy can easily get that gun from the cop suddenly he is no longer unarmed and cops know this. It helps to think about what makes them tick psychologically and reach your own conclusions. You truly are safest when you aren't challenging cops. Just do what they say and do not make any sudden moves.

Actually it would depend on various factors whether any given 'big strong guy' could easily get the gun. For one there is the psychological aspect, not everyone really likes having a gun pointed at them due to the fact that if you get shot with one there is a good chance you die which might get in the way of attempting anything like that. It is possible a large violent person could potentially disarm an armed cop if they wanted but I do not think one should be assumed violent due to their physical size or any other physical trait.

You would be surprised by how many people convince themselves they don't care if they live or die at that moment. Sure they might care later but it can be too late then.

I really doubt I'd be surprised as I am already aware there is that aspect, but plenty of people would not convince themselves of that...and would probably not consider fighting/disarming a cop who stops them. Not sure ones size or any other physical features implies anything about likelihood to attempt anything like that.

Do you have a source for this fact that the vast majority of people harmed by cops are resisting arrest or armed? Also I would not be to terribly surprised if people who aren't actually 'resisting' still accused of it...I think you're problem is you live under the illusion that 'if you're doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about'.

Also your initial example pretty much implied its ok for a cop to pre-emtively use excessive force on someone due to physical appearance.

We have cases where people resisted and ended up dead. In fact, several have happened around the metro area I live in just recently. You wouldn't believe it. I can think of three right off the top of my head, all of them resisted and now they are dead. One had a hammer, the other a gun, and the third was intoxicated and fought with the cops. He was another very large guy, like well over six foot, and looked like he could have been a defensive player in football. This happened a few blocks from my house and it was before Michael Brown.

Then a guy took hostages in a hotel room, he was shot, can't remember if he died, I think he was killed.

So that's just here in this city and very few people holler police brutality here because they know people have weapons and will use them so many times it's you or them. People are aware of that here and the violent crime rate is pretty high so people don't want the cops to be alienated and ineffectual although it is not uncommon for them to take the law into their own hands as many people think the cops won't be enough to protect them. It is just a matter of waking up to reality. A lot of times it is either you or them you must decide which is most important and put yourself first.

And this is just a small mid western city, not even a major player like LA or NYC. It's just not a very good time even though they say it has actually improved since the seventies. It seems worst than ever though.

It is not a matter of their physical appearance as in whether their skin is light or dark, more of, how much do they weigh, how much muscle are they made of, how tall are they, how angry are they? Those are what matters not skin color. You have to put yourself in a similar situation. Say some five foot five inch, 130 pound man is coming at you. Now picture a six foot five, 220 pound, muscle bound man. Neither are armed. Which one do you think you have the most success fighting?

Another thing that just happened here - a dark skinned man took hostages in a high rise office building. He did cooperate with cops and was not harmed in any way. He is in jail now though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 2:43 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Also your initial example pretty much implied its ok for a cop to pre-emtively use excessive force on someone due to physical appearance.

We have cases where people resisted and ended up dead. In fact, several have happened around the metro area I live in just recently. You wouldn't believe it. I can think of three right off the top of my head, all of them resisted and now they are dead. One had a hammer, the other a gun, and the third was intoxicated and fought with the cops. He was another very large guy, like well over six foot, and looked like he could have been a defensive player in football. This happened a few blocks from my house and it was before Michael Brown.

Then a guy took hostages in a hotel room, he was shot, can't remember if he died, I think he was killed.

So that's just here in this city and very few people holler police brutality here because they know people have weapons and will use them so many times it's you or them. People are aware of that here and the violent crime rate is pretty high so people don't want the cops to be alienated and ineffectual although it is not uncommon for them to take the law into their own hands as many people think the cops won't be enough to protect them. It is just a matter of waking up to reality. A lot of times it is either you or them you must decide which is most important and put yourself first.

And this is just a small mid western city, not even a major player like LA or NYC. It's just not a very good time even though they say it has actually improved since the seventies. It seems worst than ever though.

It is not a matter of their physical appearance as in whether their skin is light or dark, more of, how much do they weigh, how much muscle are they made of, how tall are they, how angry are they? Those are what matters not skin color. You have to put yourself in a similar situation. Say some five foot five inch, 130 pound man is coming at you. Now picture a six foot five, 220 pound, muscle bound man. Neither are armed. Which one do you think you have the most success fighting?

Another thing that just happened here - a dark skinned man took hostages in a high rise office building. He did cooperate with cops and was not harmed in any way. He is in jail now though.

That is what I was trying to say, someone cannot be assumed to be a criminal due to physical size....also the amount of force necessary would vary depending on that individual, if they are in fact resisting arrest for instance. But they couldn't just pre-emptively tazer the guy and throw him on the ground before following through with general protocol of arresting someone because they 'might' be violent for instance. Seems like the incidents you have described are not cases of police brutality at all. I myself have not personally witnessed any extreme brutality in my area. But I have seen cops like to intimidate and I imagine that goes hand in hand with it, have seen videos of cops getting carried away.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 2:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
That is what I was trying to say, someone cannot be assumed to be a criminal due to physical size....also the amount of force necessary would vary depending on that individual, if they are in fact resisting arrest for instance. But they couldn't just pre-emptively tazer the guy and throw him on the ground before following through with general protocol of arresting someone because they 'might' be violent for instance. Seems like the incidents you have described are not cases of police brutality at all. I myself have not personally witnessed any extreme brutality in my area. But I have seen cops like to intimidate and I imagine that goes hand in hand with it, have seen videos of cops getting carried away.

People think tazers are fool proof but I know of one case where the woman was tazed by the cops downtown and she died from it.
So anytime you put yourself in a struggle with cops you are in danger and when you remain passive and cooperative, you might go to jail, but you will live.

It is just a bad idea to ever struggle with the cops and keep in mind cops respond to calls by people who saw someone doing something and report it, they don't just see people and think, I am gonna go get that guy just because. Some cases yeah I have seen videos of cops and think they over reacted, and I think that's the case with Eric Garner. Maybe they thought he was trying to fool them so they ignored him when he said he couldn't breathe but I am with right wingers and tea partiers on this issue. All that drama over cigarettes is just stupid. The guy was selling cigarettes for chrissakes. Good Lord. So with that particular one, I agree it was ridiculous to even treat him like that or arrest him even.

But, some of these others, where they are armed and looking to fight, I know the cop, like me if they were coming at me, should have the right to defend themselves just like I want that same right if someone is coming at me with a gun or a hammer. I don't want to be charged with murder if I take the guy out before he gets me so the cop shouldn't be charged, either.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 2:54 pm

The science of police is an imperfect one as well as the science of human being.

That is NOT EVER going to change.

There are going to be good and bad apples when it comes to human beings, particularly in a profession where fearless is MOST OFTEN THE requirement to GET THE JOB DONE.

SAME THING WITH COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAMS, or crime for a living, AS THAT IS PART OF 'STRONGER' human nature for the basic instinct for HUMAN survival.

The FACT THAT we now have 24 hour news and almost unlimited avenues to see it EXACERBATES EVERY BAD THING THAT HAS ALWAYS HAPPENED IN HUMAN LIFE.

THE badDER thing IS the ILLUSION THAT THINGS ARE WORSE THAN THEY WERE BEFORE, CAN POTENTIALLY manipulate some of the BAD APPLES INTO DOING more REALLY BAD APPLE THINGS.

AND WHEN enough of the BAD APPLES GET TOGETHER, THE ILLUSION THAT THINGS ARE WORSE THAN BEFORE can truly become REALITY.

AND THEN a self-fulfilling prophecy can COME TRUE.

THE BEST answer I have to keep one sane AND SAFER, OVERALL, IS NOT TO WATCH THE NEWS AT ALL.

THE MIND ITSELF IS OFTEN ONE'S WORST ENEMY or BEST FRIEND, and what one feeds it, generally, speaking, IS WHAT IT BECOMES.

THAT'S THE SCARIEST AND MOST HOPEFUL THING OF ALL, IN ALL OF THIS, TO ME.

And the best thing is the solution is so dam simple, overall, per JUST TURN THE CHANNEL OR TURN IT OFF, ALL TOGETHER, PER A POTENTIALLY better self-fulfilling prophecy, FOR at least one person.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 3:04 pm

aghogday wrote:
The science of police is an imperfect one as well as the science of human being.

That is NOT EVER going to change.

There are going to be good and bad apples when it comes to human beings, particularly in a profession where fearless is MOST OFTEN THE requirement to GET THE JOB DONE.

SAME THING WITH COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAMS, or crime for a living, AS THAT IS PART OF 'STRONGER' human nature for the basic instinct for HUMAN survival.

The FACT THAT we now have 24 hour news and almost unlimited avenues to see it EXACERBATES EVERY BAD THING THAT HAS ALWAYS HAPPENED IN HUMAN LIFE.

THE badDER thing IS the ILLUSION THAT THINGS ARE WORSE THAN THEY WERE BEFORE, CAN POTENTIALLY manipulate some of the BAD APPLES INTO DOING more REALLY BAD APPLE THINGS.

AND WHEN enough of the BAD APPLES GET TOGETHER, THE ILLUSION THAT THINGS ARE WORSE THAN BEFORE can truly become REALITY.

AND THEN a self-fulfilling prophecy can COME TRUE.

THE BEST answer I have to keep one sane AND SAFER, OVERALL, IS NOT TO WATCH THE NEWS AT ALL.

THE MIND ITSELF IS OFTEN ONE'S WORST ENEMY or BEST FRIEND, and what one feeds it, generally, speaking, IS WHAT IT BECOMES.

THAT'S THE SCARIEST AND MOST HOPEFUL THING OF ALL, IN ALL OF THIS, TO ME.

And the best thing is the solution is so dam simple, overall, per JUST TURN THE CHANNEL OR TURN IT OFF, ALL TOGETHER, PER A POTENTIALLY better self-fulfilling prophecy, FOR at least one person.

Meditation would help so many people if only they would learn to meditate and steady the mind. Too many emotions out there, and irrational actions.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 3:11 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
People think tazers are fool proof but I know of one case where the woman was tazed by the cops downtown and she died from it.
So anytime you put yourself in a struggle with cops you are in danger and when you remain passive and cooperative, you might go to jail, but you will live.

It is just a bad idea to ever struggle with the cops and keep in mind cops respond to calls by people who saw someone doing something and report it, they don't just see people and think, I am gonna go get that guy just because. Some cases yeah I have seen videos of cops and think they over reacted, and I think that's the case with Eric Garner. Maybe they thought he was trying to fool them so they ignored him when he said he couldn't breathe but I am with right wingers and tea partiers on this issue. All that drama over cigarettes is just stupid. The guy was selling cigarettes for chrissakes. Good Lord. So with that particular one, I agree it was ridiculous to even treat him like that or arrest him even.

But, some of these others, where they are armed and looking to fight, I know the cop, like me if they were coming at me, should have the right to defend themselves just like I want that same right if someone is coming at me with a gun or a hammer. I don't want to be charged with murder if I take the guy out before he gets me so the cop shouldn't be charged, either.

Also not so sure being passive and cooperative guarantees the police will not act brutally...also though one can only remain so passive and cooperative to an extent in a high stress situation. For instance yeah if cop stops me I'm not going to get agressive and start telling them 'f*** you' or anything I'll be calm and cooperate, but if they start acting aggressively/harassing then yes out of fear I might then seem less 'cooperative' due to being very anxious, cringing if they make sudden moves and...once when I was trying to cooperate with being searched(kinda long story) I was just really freaked out because cops showing up made me very anxious so I was having a hard time moving smoothly if that makes sense and they like warned me not ot resist(I wasn't honestly I was to afraid to do anything to not cooperate it was just my psychological/physical reaction). So guess from my perspective I can see how they could escalate the situation to try and induce resistance...or jump to the conclusion they are trying to resist in some way without considering maybe they're a little freaked out by being confronted with multiple armed cops with guns and tazers.

Also say a cop starts hitting someone and they are just trying to block themselves from injury, and cops decide to call it resistance? I could see that happening....so I don't know just don't always buy the 'resisting' arrest because lots of senerios where that is not entirely the case but still is described that way.

But yeah even if they did not believe the guy when he said he couldn't breath, still should have let him out of the choke hold or loosened it or whatever the hell you do to not kill someone with one. Also there is a difference between running at a cop with a weapon and being shot in the process and being unjustly harrassed by cops. I mean I heard one case where they killed a schizophrenic teen who was restrained by two other cops...just shot him in the head while restrained obviously that is nothing like a cop defending them-self from someone running at them with a weapon and intent to kill/harm.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 3:34 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Also not so sure being passive and cooperative guarantees the police will not act brutally...also though one can only remain so passive and cooperative to an extent in a high stress situation. For instance yeah if cop stops me I'm not going to get agressive and start telling them 'f*** you' or anything I'll be calm and cooperate, but if they start acting aggressively/harassing then yes out of fear I might then seem less 'cooperative' due to being very anxious, cringing if they make sudden moves and...once when I was trying to cooperate with being searched(kinda long story) I was just really freaked out because cops showing up made me very anxious so I was having a hard time moving smoothly if that makes sense and they like warned me not ot resist(I wasn't honestly I was to afraid to do anything to not cooperate it was just my psychological/physical reaction). So guess from my perspective I can see how they could escalate the situation to try and induce resistance...or jump to the conclusion they are trying to resist in some way without considering maybe they're a little freaked out by being confronted with multiple armed cops with guns and tazers.

Also say a cop starts hitting someone and they are just trying to block themselves from injury, and cops decide to call it resistance? I could see that happening....so I don't know just don't always buy the 'resisting' arrest because lots of senerios where that is not entirely the case but still is described that way.

But yeah even if they did not believe the guy when he said he couldn't breath, still should have let him out of the choke hold or loosened it or whatever the hell you do to not kill someone with one. Also there is a difference between running at a cop with a weapon and being shot in the process and being unjustly harrassed by cops. I mean I heard one case where they killed a schizophrenic teen who was restrained by two other cops...just shot him in the head while restrained obviously that is nothing like a cop defending them-self from someone running at them with a weapon and intent to kill/harm.

Unfortunately, there aren't any guarantees in life and some folks are just unlucky. What I have learned is someone who has a grudge against you, all they have to do is call the cops in your town and make up a bunch of bs to them and that can be enough to get your harassed by the cops and yep it is stressful and it can be a difficult situation to resolve because once that happens the cops will pester and watch you whenever you leave your house or drive your car down the road. It's not because they just see you because they see lots of people and it becomes a big blur to them. They go after people who have been called in by others. Sometimes it's justified but there is nothing stopping someone who is mad at you over something from trying to use cops as a way to make your life miserable and such persons can actually be worse than you as in the way they behave and to take the heat off them and get even with you, they make you out to be something you aren't to the cops.

And then when you try to tell the cops these people have beat you up in the past and have beaten up each other and are just pretty much dysfunctional and toxic to themselves and to you, the cops only think you are saying it in retaliation and making it up.

So it becomes a big mess.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 24 Dec 2014, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 3:37 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Unfortunately, there aren't any guarantees in life and some folks are just unlucky. What I have learned is someone who has a grudge against you, all they have to do is call the cops in your town and make up a bunch of bs to them and that can be enough to get your harassed by the cops and yep it is stressful and it can be a difficult situation to resolve because once that happens the cops will pester and watch you whenever you leave your house or drive your car down the road. It's not because they just see you because they see lots of people and it becomes a big blur to them. They go after people who have been called in by others. Sometimes it's justified but there is nothing stopping someone who is mad at you over something from trying to use cops as a way to make your life miserable and such persons can actually be worse than you as in the way they behave and to take the heat off them and get even with you, they make you out to be something you aren't to the cops.

One of the nice things about where I live is that it is relatively unpopulated and you tend to know the local cops. They would be a lot less likely to harass someone based on the reports of some nutcase from somewhere else.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 3:43 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

One of the nice things about where I live is that it is relatively unpopulated and you tend to know the local cops. They would be a lot less likely to harass someone based on the reports of some nutcase from somewhere else.

My mom grew up in the middle of nowhere and she never even saw cops at home when she was growing up and only occasionally saw them in town. Eventually, one of her cousins became the only cop in town or something. There was only one or two cops total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 4:00 pm

Anyway, to make a long story short, how I managed the mess around me, was to, first disengage from the toxic abusive people who had and probably still don't, have any idea of how much help they need, all the time pointing the finger at others, spreading malicious, untrue gossip and just trying to stress people out as much as possible and when you are busy trying to make something out of an incredibly abusive and traumatic childhood, part of which they helped to create, you simply don't need that. So, I stopped having any contact with them, first and that helped a whole lot. Then, I just started ignoring the cops, pretending they weren't even there and not letting them bother me. I knew I was doing nothing wrong and I also knew why the cops were bothering me, because of some bs, so who cares? Just don't pay attention to them and go about my daily life. And you know what, those people moved away and now I never get followed or bothered by cops. So things do get better.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 4:30 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

And then when you try to tell the cops these people have beat you up in the past and have beaten up each other and are just pretty much dysfunctional and toxic to themselves and to you, the cops only think you are saying it in retaliation and making it up.

So it becomes a big mess.

Most people I know don't like calling the cops at all and would not unless it was really necessary......I really dislike people like what you describe...ick. Thus far anyone who's tried to screw me over either can't call them cause they're doing something stupidly illegal them-self and don't want the attention, or when I was 15 this wrote some stupid threat thing on the wall(nothing they where going to actually carry out)...I didn't want to say anything because I thought she was my 'best friend' then she started making comments implying she thought I did it, and so I ended up telling them she did it and then she told them I did and had 'plans' written in journals(journals my therapist said to write in so I just wrote embarrasing angry stuff in there but no plans of anything just a way of getting negative thoughts out of my head)...so they went and searched my room with no warrant, threatened my mom they would just arrest me and throw me in jail and all this crap. Confiscated it and then I guess from what I understand illegally questioned me about the contents for hours on end with no permission from either of my parents but they made it seem like i had to talk to them. Anyways after all that fun stuff me and my mom talked to a public defender who called up the police department of the town and proceeded to professionally b*tch them out for over-stepping their boundaries and all kinds of stuff and so they dropped whatever charges they where trying to give me and I didn't end up having to go to court. All I did was turn her in full cooperation and they wanted to charge me? Obviously don't care much for encountering them after that. Oh and I did eventually get my stupid journals back I have yet to burn them...unless i already threw them away didn't want them after a bunch of cops dug around in them.

But I guess I was lucky, that could have f***d my life up more than it already is all because I struggled trying to figure out the right thing to do and did what I thought that was. Then when ever i end up having to talk to cops they ask all kinds of stupid questions about why I seem anxious....its like hmmm I wonder. :roll: