I wonder does God forgive atheist after their death...

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 7:40 pm

I wonder does God forgive atheist after their death, if they ware extremely good and kind persons?

I wonder if God is eager to forgive those who were presumptuous and did not believe in Him.

I recently watched a biography of Professor Zbigniew Religa, the first in my country (Poland) heart transplant surgery, publish your articles in a number of prestigious Polish and foreign medical journals, including Nature, Lancet and so on. He was very dedicated to his patients, but he was a heavy smoker and hardcore atheist, reportedly once that if God is good, why allow children to die, the professor he meant his young patients, because he was also a pediatric cardiac surgeon.

The professor held the office of Minister of Health of Poland in 2005-2007, and died of lung cancer in 2009. In the last will of the professor wrote that he wanted to make his funeral was secular in nature, without the presence of the priests, and that in place of the traditional funeral march played his beloved "the wonderful world" performed by Louis Armstong.

I'm no doctor, but very interested in medicine. I wonder if God forgive such a man who was devoted to his patients to the doctor, and was an atheist I measure a large risk because he could not bear the suffering of their patients, for which he blamed God.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3745620/

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 8:43 pm

No.. you presume he blamed God. He said the suffering of children was evidence for him that there was no God.

But even more than that, atheists rarely have simplistic reasoning for being atheists. (I made the mistake of thinking that, when I was a Christian.) Suffering children will be one item of evidence, but a man of science will have far more to go on than just that. I'm no science professional, yet my atheism is based on many things.

When I was a Christian, I asked the very same question. Will God forgive the unbelievers who have lived good lives? That was one part of my enquiring nature which decades later led me to atheism.

pawelk1986 wrote:
I wonder if God is eager to forgive those who were presumptuous and did not believe in Him.

Is it the theist or the atheist who is being presumptive?

To quote Dawkins: “We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 8:46 pm

This is what the Bible says in Revelation 20:-
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

To clarify, When Gods Kingdom comes, Jesus, together with those who remained faithful at his second coming, (though this might be the Saints), they rule the Earth for the 1000 years whilst Jesus restores the creation before handing it back to God,
Once the creation is restored, then comes the resurrection when everyone comes out of Hell, (Hell in a Biblical sense means the grave).
Books are then opened and everyone is judged, by their works, just as you ask, if they have done more good than bad, they get a resurrection to life, if the bad balance is more, they go to the second death which means everlasting destruction, or, they wont exist ever again.

So, that includes atheists, if they are good they get a resurrection to life.
So, what is the advantage to those who do believe in God?
Not just a case of believing, for the Devil himself believes, its a case of letting yourself be bought by the price of Jesus death, truly accepting that he died to pay off Adamic sin and the sins written about you in those books, hence, when the time comes for a true Christian, he doesn't get judged because Jesus already paid the price of your sin, so there is no sin to balance against you.

So to sum it up.
Atheists have to have done more good than bad.
Christians could have been murderers until the day before they die, but if they truly find Jesus and repent, their sin is erased.
Thats why Jesus could say to the man next to him being crucified, "Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in Paradise.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 8:59 pm

Nambo wrote:
So to sum it up.
Atheists have to have done more good than bad.
Christians could have been murderers until the day before they die, but if they truly find Jesus and repent, their sin is erased.

A man can live his life with complete disregard for others, rape and kill, steal and pillage, yet on his deathbed he can get a hall pass from judgement. And to think, I once believed in all that. 8O

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 7:00 am

Like most Poles you're a Catholic.

And Catholics have four places in the afterlife:Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, and Limbo.

Limbo is for "unbaptized babies", and for "virtuous Pagans".

I would think that the good doctor would qualify as a "virtuous Pagan", and would therefore end up in Limbo.

But- I'm not up on this. Did one of the recent Popes get rid of Limbo?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 7:29 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Like most Poles you're a Catholic.

And Catholics have four places in the afterlife:Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, and Limbo.

Limbo is for "unbaptized babies", and for "virtuous Pagans".

I would think that the good doctor would qualify as a "virtuous Pagan", and would therefore end up in Limbo.

But I might be behind the times. The Vatican may have gotten rid of Limbo some decades ago. I'm not sure

AlienorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2014, 8:39 am

I would not respect a person who is so big-headed he wants everyone to "worship" him; someone who would 'burn people for eternity' for not believing everything he said. If that how is really was, I'd be willing to burn- the very fact he needed the ego-boost would be evidence that he doesn't deserve it. I don't think god should ever be personified- we have to accept that we will never know enough to fully understand what god is.

I never get a good answer from clergy etc when i ask about all of this. Does Jesus (as our most perfect example of a good person) really sound like he'd want people singing about his "greatness" every Sunday and calling him lord, instead of using all of that combined human energy to do good things for people worse off than ourselves? If so, he is not entirely good is he?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 9:24 am

More than being forgiven - I think they'd find God directly in on the joke as to why they were atheists. The One Thing wants to explore Itself in as many ways and from as many perspectives as possible, likely including atheism.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2014, 9:41 am

You are making one mistake in your reasoning. You are assuming that the Christian god is some nice guy. He isn't. He is actually extremely twisted and cruel, even to the point of being bestial.

From Numbers 31 (right there in your Bible. Pick it up, turn to it, and read along)
"17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,
18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

If you observe Christianity, then you must accept that the god that you pray to demanded the murder and rape of children. You must accept that the god that you pray to is evil.

And so are you. Examine your history of genocide. Examine your history of murder and cruelty toward gay men. Examine your history of misogyny and treatment of women as property. Examine the dark ages that you brought upon us. Examine the history of disease that your ignorance brought upon us, killing off fully a third of my ancestors' people from one single plague. Examine your history of war. You Christians have caused the world tremendous suffering and indignity.

Imagine there's a better way.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 12:06 pm

If the christian god is real, and you seriously have to belive in/worship him or end up in hell...well then I am going to hell, but maybe chilling with demons wouldn't be so bad, might as well just sell my soul to the devil for something cool in this life, if I am doomed anyways right? Damn now its kinda disappointing I don't believe in that religion...means I can't sell my soul for anything :cry:

maybe its a good thing I am not religious.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 12:35 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
I wonder does God forgive atheist after their death, if they ware extremely good and kind persons? [...] I wonder if God forgive such a man who was devoted to his patients to the doctor, and was an atheist I measure a large risk because he could not bear the suffering of their patients, for which he blamed God....

Here is what Jesus had to say about the matter:

King James Version wrote:
28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

Mark 3:28-29 King James Version (KJV)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges helps to define this unique sin.

Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges wrote:
29. but he that shall blaspheme] The sin, against which these words are a terrible but merciful warning, is not so much an act, as a state of sin, on the part of one, who in defiance of light and knowledge, of set purpose rejects, and not only rejects but perseveres in rejecting, the warnings of conscience, and the Grace of the Holy Spirit, who blinded by religious bigotry rather than ascribe a good work to the Spirit of Good prefer to ascribe it to the Spirit of Evil, and thus wilfully put “bitter for sweet” and “sweet for bitter,” “darkness for light” and “light for darkness.” Such a state if persevered in and not repented of excludes from pardon, for it is the sin unto death spoken of in 1 John 5:16.

Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/mark/3-29.htm

In other words, only if an individual acts against his conscience would such a sin be unforgivable. All others may be forgiven if forgiveness is sought by the individual.

I think we could all agree that acting against one's own conscience is pretty damnable.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 12:59 pm

It really depends on your flavor of Christianity. Calvinists believe that whether souls are damned or not is known from the beginning. That is, your fate is simply your fate and your life just reflects that fate.

That would seem logical for an all powerful and knowing god...

My favorite fake Marcus Aurelius quote:

Quote:
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

I don't know who actually said this, but personally, I like this idea a whole lot better.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 1:23 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
...My favorite fake Marcus Aurelius quote:
Quote:
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

I don't know who actually said this, but personally, I like this idea a whole lot better....

I believe that C.S. Lewis paraphrased the statement once or twice, but I can't find a reference to that fact.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 1:24 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
I wonder does God forgive atheist after their death, if they ware extremely good and kind persons?

I have always considered myself agnostic. So, possibly, this question isn't directed to people like me.

In any event, I imagine, if there is a God, that God would appreciate my skepticism and independence. After all, that makes me who I am. And, if there is a God, most probably what I believe and, more importantly, how I behave (i.e. my own personal moral code) is precisely what God, if there is a God, would have wanted.

As a note, what I find incredibly interesting, is that my own moral code - sans a belief in God - seems to be stronger than the moral code of those who are believers. Which I never understood. As I wonder if God will forgive them, from deviating from the moral code of their core beliefs. As I think about this more, my mind seems to get caught in an "do-while" infinite loop.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 1:28 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
...I imagine, if there is a God, that God would appreciate my skepticism and independence....

Saint Paul did write frequently to early Christians that they read the scriptures with reason.
So, it appears that God does appreciate skepticism and independence.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 1:37 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Rocket123 wrote:
...I imagine, if there is a God, that God would appreciate my skepticism and independence....

Saint Paul did write frequently to early Christians that they read the scriptures with reason.
So, it appears that God does appreciate skepticism and independence.

You can thank the influence of the Stoics on early Christianity for that...