I wonder does God forgive atheist after their death...

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 1:37 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Rocket123 wrote:
...I imagine, if there is a God, that God would appreciate my skepticism and independence....

Saint Paul did write frequently to early Christians that they read the scriptures with reason.
So, it appears that God does appreciate skepticism and independence.

You can thank the influence of the Stoics on early Christianity for that...

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 3:57 pm

Unless you worship Shango and Shango alone, you are destined for hell. As for me and my family:

Cabio Sile Shango!

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 4:19 pm

After reading some of the scripture you guys have posted I am incredulous that you believe such nonsense, but ah well each to their own provided they don't force their belief in scripture onto others.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 6:57 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
If the christian god is real, and you seriously have to belive in/worship him or end up in hell...well then I am going to hell, but maybe chilling with demons wouldn't be so bad, might as well just sell my soul to the devil for something cool in this life, if I am doomed anyways right? Damn now its kinda disappointing I don't believe in that religion...means I can't sell my soul for anything :cry:

maybe its a good thing I am not religious.

Many atheists believe we have no souls, so they wouldn't even have a soul to sell.
Anyway, better to follow an easy religion like Dudeism. Just take it easy.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 7:10 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
After reading some of the scripture you guys have posted I am incredulous that you believe such nonsense, but ah well each to their own provided they don't force their belief in scripture onto others.

This brings up another interesting question. I wonder whether God forgives a person after his/her death, if the religion that the person follows is not to God’s liking (assuming, of course, that God exists).

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 7:22 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
This brings up another interesting question. I wonder whether God forgives a person after his/her death, if the religion that the person follows is not to God’s liking (assuming, of course, that God exists).

Hmmm.. you make God (I assume the Christian God?) the decider of all other religions??? I think Vishnu or Zarathustra or Huitzilopochtli or Gaia might assert a difference of opinion there.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 7:33 pm

Narrator wrote:
Rocket123 wrote:

Hmmm.. you make God (I assume the Christian God?) the decider of all other religions??? I think Vishnu or Zarathustra or Huitzilopochtli or Gaia might assert a difference of opinion there.

Mostly, my question was simply an extension of the one posted by the OP. It was not my intention to assume a Christian God.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 7:38 pm

I think it is presumptuous to claim to know the nature of God.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 7:58 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Rocket123 wrote:

Mostly, my question was simply an extension of the one posted by the OP. It was not my intention to assume a Christian God.

:wink:

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2014, 8:50 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
I wonder does God forgive atheist after their death, if they ware extremely good and kind persons?

I wonder if God is eager to forgive those who were presumptuous and did not believe in Him.

I recently watched a biography of Professor Zbigniew Religa, the first in my country (Poland) heart transplant surgery, publish your articles in a number of prestigious Polish and foreign medical journals, including Nature, Lancet and so on. He was very dedicated to his patients, but he was a heavy smoker and hardcore atheist, reportedly once that if God is good, why allow children to die, the professor he meant his young patients, because he was also a pediatric cardiac surgeon.

The professor held the office of Minister of Health of Poland in 2005-2007, and died of lung cancer in 2009. In the last will of the professor wrote that he wanted to make his funeral was secular in nature, without the presence of the priests, and that in place of the traditional funeral march played his beloved "the wonderful world" performed by Louis Armstong.

I'm no doctor, but very interested in medicine. I wonder if God forgive such a man who was devoted to his patients to the doctor, and was an atheist I measure a large risk because he could not bear the suffering of their patients, for which he blamed God.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3745620/

There is no forgiveness in hell, atheists are already rejected by god

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 9:43 pm

seaweasel wrote:

Whilst I find it astounding that people believe in scripture, I find it positively outrageous that some believe they "know" how their creator will react in various situations given "his" highly capricious nature. Personally I think it is high time humans grew up and started taking responsibility and guidance for their own behaviour. Rather than living their lives by a set of rules made up by other humans in the name of an imaginary God. It is for this reason that that bible is made up of stories that give easy to follow instructions rather than the more self reflective and harder to accomplish concepts like those found in the gospel of Thomas. It is no wonder that an ideology that says no matter what you do repentance and belief in the deity will see things right, won general acceptance over ideologies which demanded self reflection and conscious effort to find redemption. That this line of thought continues is kindof pathetic really. Grow up, we have one life, the universe is not built for us, we are not special and we do not survive our own deaths. As Christopher Hitchens pointed out it kind of bizarre that so many religious people look forward to dying where as you should rejoice in the fact the against the most insane odds you are alive and sentient.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2014, 10:04 am

seaweasel wrote:
That would just make the feeling mutual, dear.

BrutalMetalDood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Dec 2014, 12:01 pm

"If there is a God, he will have to beg my forgiveness" ~A phrase carved into a concentration camp cell by a Jewish prisoner.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Terry Pratchett

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 4:01 pm

BrutalMetalDood wrote:
"If there is a God, he will have to beg my forgiveness" ~A phrase carved into a concentration camp cell by a Jewish prisoner.

+1

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2014, 6:09 am

My question is, which God are we talking about?
Because many cultures in the world believe in another forms of God, like Buddhist, Shintoist, Taoist, Indus... so by asking such a question "Does god forgive atheist after their death" we are implying that there is only one god, that we are right and almost 2 billion people in the world are wrong and believe in the wrong religion or wrong god.

Me personally here is my answer : For God to forgive an Atheist after his death, they must be a god out there to forgive, and unfortunately there isn't, not a single proof of evidence of the existence of an imaginary friend. Meaning god wouldn't give a s**t about forgiving because there is no god.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2014, 7:56 am

SpirosD wrote:
My question is, which God are we talking about?
Because many cultures in the world believe in another forms of God, like Buddhist, Shintoist, Taoist, Indus...
Buddhism is actually, for many adherents, an atheistic religion.

Furthermore, you could make a Buddhist argument for rejecting an afterlife: the yearning to continue living, beyond your grave, is a desire for something you cannot be certain you can have (and which, to many of us, flies in the face of reason), which produces suffering. Do away with this desire, so you do away with suffering.

Virtually all Taoist sects take no stance at all on gods. In fact, you can theoretically be both a devout Southern Baptist and a Taoist: it says nothing in the Bible about following a way of thinking and way of life that is directed at the pursuit of inner tranquility, and you could even practice religious prayer in the pursuit of it. However, you can also be both an atheist and a Taoist.

Shinto is an odd religion. Although they have an overwhelming number of gods and innumerable shrines, belief is not necessarily important in Shinto. Respect is, but belief isn't. Many Japanese honor Shinto shrines even though they have various motives for the practice, not all of which include literal belief. For many, it's a way of feeling a sense of connection with their past, and it's a way of honoring their ancestors. This is valuable without supernatural spirits.

But to your point, yes, I agree. In fact, let me give you my own unique version of this idea:

What if only atheists are saved in Heaven? If you examine the actual behavior of atheists, we are predominant in those countries that do the most for the poor, and we are very consistent in being lawful, peaceful individuals. Many of us have extremely high concern for the welfare of the planet. The majority of us are antiwar. Is it possible that atheists could be God's chosen people?

Interesting question, I think.