Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 3:02 pm

Side issue, but I am of the opinion that Saint Francis of Assisi was an Aspie.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 12:59 am

Leprosy is one of my special interests.

Foucault argued in "Madness and Civilization" that madness - a concept vague enough in this conception to include what would today be called Autism Spectrum Disorders - was basically created to fill the social void left in the wake of leprosy's decline in Europe. So the comparison has some support - not in terms of "autism is as bad as leprosy" but "hey are we maybe treating autistics the way we used to treat lepers?".

Bear in mind also that leprosy was long considered a divine disease. Supposedly the afflicted would not need to wait in purgatory but would ascend to Heaven upon their deaths, because through their leprosy they had pre-paid their penance in this life, earning them a Fast Pass to the afterlife.

So, when speaking at the Vatican, comparing autism to leprosy comes across, to me, not so much as "Eww look at the autistics, they're gross like lepers" and more like "Autism. like leprosy, might better be thought of as a great blessing that comes with a great burden, rather than a curse or affliction."

On the other hand - Jesus healed the sick and the lame, but he cleansed the lepers.

I have no idea what Ms. Wright's motivations for making this comparison were.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

alcockell
Raven
Raven

27 Dec 2014, 6:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
Suzanne: And I'll tell you, when I was having children, I never knew anybody with autism.

Yes you did. Like everybody else you ignored us or called us by another name.

Being that I was one of the first to be diagnosed back in 1987 - I remember some of those barbs... "Spastic" or "Spazzmo" seemed to be the go-to in the UK back in secondary school (1982-1987)..

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 8:53 pm

The woman needs to die very soon. :evil:

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm

alcockell wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
Suzanne: And I'll tell you, when I was having children, I never knew anybody with autism.

Yes you did. Like everybody else you ignored us or called us by another name.

Being that I was one of the first to be diagnosed back in 1987 - I remember some of those barbs... "Spastic" or "Spazzmo" seemed to be the go-to in the UK back in secondary school (1982-1987)..

I remember that... I was called "Spaz" all the time in highschool... but that was in 2009-2013 in the U.S.

It seems some things do transcend culture.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x