Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:50 pm

There was one at the hospital I was in. She was pretty hyperkinetic and loud, bragging about something I won't mention here because I don't want to trigger anyone. She was quite tickled with what she did. She was supposed to be in the same room with me but they put her in another because she immediately took a disliking to me and told the staff she wanted to hurt me. So anyway, I was just fine with that. I was disgusted with what she was bragging about and with her attitude in general. True mania like that is pretty shocking and a bit disturbing and you know it when you see it.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 8:17 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
I've also seen what real Bipolar 1 is like while in a mental hospital. What you describe is close to what I saw of a fellow patient during one of my stays (and this was about a decade ago). She was all cheery and a little, shall I say, hypersexual-ish. She went around saying how her psychiatrist thought she was Bipolar. Having been misdiagnosed as Bipolar myself, after watching her, I told myself, "Yeah, there's no way I'm like this. I've never acted this hyper.". Hyper enough for ADHD, sure. But nowhere near the levels of hyperactivity seen with mania.

I saw the hyperssexual-ism, too, and being a trans woman stuck with the men, it was disturbing to watch, to say the least, how these men would often talk to female staff members inappropriately and the female staff would for the most part just take it. I reported feeling disturbed, myself, to the community techs. I guess since I was seen mostly as a very gay man in the hospital, I was for the most part (key term *most part*) left alone, thankfully.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2015, 1:14 pm

beneficii wrote:
I saw the hyperssexual-ism, too, and being a trans woman stuck with the men, it was disturbing to watch, to say the least, how these men would often talk to female staff members inappropriately and the female staff would for the most part just take it. I reported feeling disturbed, myself, to the community techs. I guess since I was seen mostly as a very gay man in the hospital, I was for the most part (key term *most part*) left alone, thankfully.

Yeah. That is very unsettling. I could only imagine how uncomfortable that must have been for you. I dread going places such as these. Even though I have done things to make people feel as though they'd rather not approach me, I would never do anything as unsightly as these men. These scum needs a 101 class in Manners! :evil:

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 1:38 pm

I have severe bipolar, so I'm pretty familiar with mania. At my very worst, I just become super agitated: my thoughts start racing with completely incoherent speech, I become pretty delusional and hear voices, I can't stop moving (though it's mostly just pacing and flailing, not jumping off walls or anything like the OP described) and I usually have a tendency to start self-harming myself. I guess it's more of a "mixed state" of emotions, I dunno.

I do have an "acceptable" level of mania which comes and goes depending on my med intake, but I'm just a little hyper and a lot happy at most. I'm still able to function in social settings like that, but it's more than likely something random will happen which will pop my manic bubble and send me spiraling straight down into deep depression. One minute I can be chipper and outgoing and the next I can be morose and withdrawn.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2015, 3:09 pm

Honestly, I feel bad for people who go through being bipolar. I know what its like. But for a long time, I was in huge denial. But on the other hand, I'd rather not put up with their manic behavior either.