the rebbe says autistics relate more to god

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 6:06 am

While the notion that Jews might have some form of autism was a initially just a random thought, it is something I have been thinking about for a while. As I said, people on this forum very often have this attitude displayed above where they call others or the things others say stupid or something similar, which I just disregard.

Jews have a higher incidence than others of various mental disorders and illnesses. This is from The Jewish Encyclopedia from 1906:

Quote:
INSANITY:

Mental disease. Among the Jews the proportion of insane has been observed to be very large.
source: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/8123-insanity

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/.premium-1.560128

http://www.shalomlife.com/health/21151/study-ashkenazi-jews-genetically-predisposed-to-schizophrenia/

There is a connection between autism and schizophrenia:

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/autism/autism-and-schizophrenia

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/276081.php

Another interesting aspect of this is the Rastafarians and their connection to Judaism, and also their connection to cannabis. Here's a quote from this page:

Quote:
In the early years of research into these drugs, psychology researchers and military intelligence communities sometimes called them, aside from “hallucinogen,” by the name “psychotomimetic” -which means psychosis mimicking.

Here's a book about the connection between cannabis and Judaism:

http://www.amazon.com/Cannabis-Chassidis-Ancient-Emerging-Torah/dp/157027262X

I have written about this subject on this forum before. I wrote about the concept of mentalization. I commented on that the article says the following:

Quote:
individuals without proper attachment (e.g. due to physical, psychological or sexual abuse), can have greater difficulties in the development of mentalization-abilities. Attachment history partially determines the strength of mentalizing capacity of individuals. Securely-attached individuals tend to have had a primary caregiver that has more complex and sophisticated mentalizing abilities. As a consequence, these children possess more robust capacities to represent the states of their own and other people’s minds. Early childhood exposure to mentalization can serve to protect the individual from psychosocial adversity.[2][12] This theory needs further empirical support.

I commented on how this theory about the primary caregiver might have some connection to the idea that Jew-status is inherited through the mother. I also commented on the sexual abuse mentioned in the article and said it might have some connection to the sexual abuse scandals in the Catholic Church and also the ritual of sucking a baby's penis performed during Jewish circumcision. I also commented that 6 out of 12 names mentioned in the wikipedia article on mentalization appear to be Jews.

Here's a quote that is interesting in regard to the idea about the primary caregiver:

Quote:
Rabbi Akiva’s view was that those people who were exiled do not have a share in the World to Come; however, their offspring will repent and do have a share in the World to Come, and those offspring will return at the time of the final redemption
source: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1701071/jewish/Are-the-Ten-Lost-Tribes-Ever-Coming-Back.htm

I have studied this map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Civilization_and_religion_map_1821.jpg

I have been thinking about that map in relation to emotional intelligence and connection to others. Here are two quotes from History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell:

Quote:
In this life, there are three kinds of men, just as there are three sorts of people who come to the Olympic Games. The lowest class is made up of those who come to buy and sell, the next above them are those who compete. Best of all, however, are those who come simply to look on. The greatest purification of all is, therefore, disinterested science, and it is the man who devotes himself to that, the true philosopher, who has most effectually released himself from the 'wheel of birth.'

Quote:
the anarcy and treachery which inevitably resulted from the decay of morals made Italians collectively impotent, and they fell, like the Greeks, under the domination of nations less civilized than themselves but not so destitute of social cohesion.

John Lash says in this interview that he thinks that Jews have a paranoid psychosis.

Here's a quote from an interview with another person on the same medium:

Quote:
Zen Gardner: Oh, you don't like Jewish people. Jewish people aren't equal to us. Don't you know how tortured they were for so long? Well lady, you know what, if you knew why they were chased out of country by country maybe you'd have a different attitude. Why they were kicked out of every country they went into because they were trying to screw it.

Henrik: The analogy of the man that seeks different partners in life and his marriages keep breaking up. And he's like "that woman wasn't that great. She had some issues, psychological issues. And then something was wrong with the next one, physicality wise, or I wasn't attracted to her, whatever." It's like, marriage after marriage fails. After 20, 30, 40 wives, 50, 60, 100 wives, at what point are you gonna begin to question the man in the relationship and say maybe there's something there that's wrong. Maybe he has an issue. Maybe it's not all these women that have an issue.

Zen Gardner: Exactly. There's a famous story of a guy. It's probably a different scenario but, this guy drives into a little small town and he stops at the gas station. He's looking for a town to move to. He asked the attendant "What are the people like here like?" And the attendant says "Well, what were they like where you came from?" He says "Ah, they were all smarmy, stinky, ugly, stupid, you know, they were awful." And the guy says to him "You know, they're gonna be the same way here for you."
source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRK-R9qe7Xc

The Jew Michael Laitman said in one of his books, I don't remember which but it might have been Kabbalah Revealed, that Jews have a bigger ego than others. Here are two links where he talks about ego:

http://laitman.com/2008/09/the-consequences-of-egoisms-growth/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bCJOscgCc0

There are also various other aspects that I have thought about.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 6:27 am

Other related aspects of this:

On gnosticteachings.org one of the lecturers claims that Jews are not the people who claim to be Jews, or at least not restricted to them, and that some of them have a false idea of the concept of "Jew" and he compares it to what he says is a similar misunderstanding that has occurred I think it was in India among a certain sect of Hindus. This idea may or may not be accurate. I don't remember which audio file it was but it might have been one of these:

https://gnosticteachings.org/download/gnostic-mysteries/143-gnostic-mysteries-03-kristus-lucifer-audio.html

http://gnosticteachings.org/download/daath-the-tree-of-knowledge-course/81-daath-01-the-doorway-of-knowledge.html

Another thing is this quote from the Jew Michael Laitman in the book Interview With The Future:

Quote:
The terms “Jew” and “Gentile” do not relate to this or that individual, but express two spiritual situations in the same person. The word - Jewish (Hebrew: Yehudi) comes from the word - unification (Yechud), connection with the Creator, the inner essence of man’s soul and a Gentile is its outer essence. Our freedom of choice is in choosing to develop the inner part, called Jewish, and overcome the outer part, called Gentile. Israel’s situation is directly related to the approach to those two parts in the soul of each and every one of us.

However, in the next sentence he uses the word Jews as referring to a group of individuals:

Quote:
Kabbalah explains that the Creator chose the Jews to be the first to learn the collective rules of the universe, and then pass this knowledge on to the other nations of the world. In order to perform this task, our nation must attain the spiritual degree called Jewish.
source: http://www.kabbalah.info/eng/content/view/frame/4262?/eng/content/view/full/4262&main in the chapter "Two Parts to the Soul - Israel and the Nations of the World"

Michael Laitman talks in one of his books, again not sure which but I think this too was Kabbalah Revealed, about how there is such a thing as "a spiritual Jew" which might be distinguished from a genetic Jew.

Michael Laitman, also, may or may not be a reliable source. His Kabbalah center, Bnei Baruch, has been criticized as being a mind-twisting cult and such. The books of his that I have read do come across as somewhat shallow, commercialized and insincere. I am suspicious.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 8:52 am

tomato wrote:
aghogday wrote:
The greatest thing about being an outcast, no matter if a person is raised as a Jew, a black person (particularly in the past and obviously still in some CASES), a homosexual, an androgynous individual, AND the list goes on for human differences IS one has a better opportunity to escape the illusions of culture and look within and observe the truth in nature to have a better understanding AND HUMAN SENSORY AND EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE OF EXISTENTIAL INTELLIGENCE PER THEIR PLACE AS A WORKING PART OF MOTHER NATURE TRUE aka GoD.

That is a subject that interests me and something I've been thinking about in relation to my speculation that Jews might have some form of autism and/or psychosis. A lot of times it seems to me that suffering is the only real enlightenment. You cannot see anything that you are in total harmony with, it's like it doesn't exist, and it seems like you might have to fall between the cracks in order to have any sensitivity. A ripping of the veil as some refer to it. Jonathan Bowden mentions that in this video. He talks about how people who only care about shallow materialist etc. things while being subjected to some form of extreme outer stress, such as a life threatening situation in a war, might have this thing some mystics refer to as a ripping of the veil, where they have a sense of some much greater purpose. I believe that all kinds of mental disorders and illnesses are related to this concept. Neurosis is basically a mild and perpetual ripping of the veil, psychosis is a more thorough or direct sense of the ripping of the veil. The various catalysts that can cause psychosis, such as life crises, drugs, etc. are just like that outer stress he talked about. This is also what fear in general can achieve. Satan is Lucifer, the light bearer. Which is why black comedy is a particularly effective form of comedy. Various modern art or avant-garde art is also the same thing. Even 9/11 and other terrorist attacks have a similar effect.

Here's another comment on this concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEEqDz_CsQg&feature=youtu.be&t=1h8m44s

I definitely agree and life teaches me many lessons this way, as WELL. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 5:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
That is a racist statement.

Bigoted rather than racist.

Judaism is a religion (subjective social construct), not a race (objective biological fact).

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 5:57 pm

Thinking about what cannot be seen is a good thing.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 8:29 am

Dillogic wrote:

I think it's quite possible that you are bigoted for instantaneously labeling my hypothesis bigoted. You are also, like the person who said stupid, from my experience of this forum so far, a good representative of the general attitude and mentality of people on this forum. Many times have I tried to have a discussion on here and get nothing but arrogant scorn and closed-mindedness. I can honestly say that this is one of the most boring forums I have ever been active on.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 9:09 am

tomato wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

I think it's quite possible that you are bigoted for instantaneously labeling my hypothesis bigoted. You are also, like the person who said stupid, from my experience of this forum so far, a good representative of the general attitude and mentality of people on this forum. Many times have I tried to have a discussion on here and get nothing but arrogant scorn and closed-mindedness. I can honestly say that this is one of the most boring forums I have ever been active on.

Don't be discouraged if one can. There are different kinds of Autistic leaning folks.

There are folks like Einstein who use imagination of deeper thinking to make 'quantum' LEAPS in physics.

And there are folks like Steve Jobs who do not listen to the formalities of culture and get the JOB DONE.

THESE are the FOLKS WHO CHANGE THE WORLD, TO paraphrase Steve Jobs.

I understand your insights, whether I agree with them or not, as I am simply one of THOSE 'TYPE' OF AUTISTIC LEANING FOLKS.

STEVE JOBS, as portrayed in the biography of his life, in the movie JOBS, was disgusted by Bill Gates (autistic leaning nature) as he had no imagination or ART in what he did.

And this shows, OH GOD, it still shows as his (BILL) product works but it still works like science, and yes extremely FALLIBLE SCIENCE, rather than a platform of art that truly MORE FULLY supports creative and imaginative minds that more fully CHANGE THE WORLD.

I CHOOSE NOT TO STAY STILL; I for ONE CHOOSE TO MOVE.

AND WITH THAT COMES MISTAKES AND FAILURES AND HYPOTHESES ABOUT LIFE THAT CHANGE much through the course of a lifetime but the bottom line is SITTING STILL AS BOTH METAPHOR AND LITERAL PHRASE is like a river that does not move and dries up to dirt.

SOME literalists of the world literally believe humans are dust and nothing more.

I for one, see the potential of humans as something higher like the metaphor of MAGICK.

AND I FOR ONE SEE MAGICK AS all natural but just beyond the grasp of the tools that science currently has to MEASURE THE WORLD THAT some folks experience but NOT ALL, as each human experience is a subjective universe unto itself.

So yeah, there certainly are multi-verses and I for one refuse to just copy someone else's Universe alone.

That is a reflection of a metaphorical robot and not a metaphorical human to me.

Steve Jobs understood that but Bill Gates could obviously, to both me and Steve, NEVER GET IT, for whatever environmental or innate reason.

I suspect the difference was Steve Jobs practice of ZEN as it allowed him to center his self and expand his mind in ways of reason and creative art, per FULLER human balance AND HUMAN ENERGY IN WHAT SOME FOLKS DESCRIBE AS QI, CHI, and KI.

And in doing so he WAS A MOVER AND SHAKER that made A DIFFERENCE in ACTION AND NOT JUST TALK. :)

Throughout history these kind of folks have been ridiculed for being different by the sheep of life; however, in the end they are the ones, THE KIND, THAT OFTEN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. :)

AND FOR ANYONE who thinks that emotions are stupid, they are not even 'good' pragmatists as the word itself means to MOTIVATE ACTION.

TO oppress, repress, or subjugate emotions through illusory fears is the way of the EXTREMIST Fundamentalist Christian and Atheist, in generality alike.

To understand emotions FULLY EXPRESSED IN ALL THE NUANCES THAT CAN BE EMOTIONS, AND THE TRUE POWER THAT BRINGS TO HUMAN BEINGS IS TO UNDERSTAND WHAT HUMAN EVEN IS.

POETRY, so far, does a much better job of that than science obviously for those who are in that WELL EXPLORED CONTINENT OR METAPHORICAL hemisphere of mind.

And thank GOD cutting edge science is FINALLY CATCHING UP TO THAT TRUTH OF ALL SOCIAL ANIMALS AS THAT is simply how THE HEALTHY ONES ARE EVOLVED TO BE for basic frigging survival in the WILD.

Without FULLY ENGAGED EMOTIONS even executive functioning will not work correctly as emotions are what cement our memories in navigating the environment we live in.

Ha! HA! Cognitive science per the past has discounted what human reality even is, but even cognitive science is now finally catching up to so called woo ways of Eastern Philosophies as the BODY in balanced movement per THE GREATEST AND MOST IMPORTANT INTELLIGENCE OF ALL, PHYSICAL INTELLIGENCE, DRIVES BOTH Emotional Regulation and Sensory Integration in WHAT TRULY FUELS THE FIRE OF LIFE AKA KI, CHI, QI, AND THE KUNDALINI METAPHOR AS SERPENT.

IF YOU want to learn more about that I suggest a book, by a respected medical doctor, by the name of 'The Body Keeps Score', as that book relates more about the modern science of balanced human being.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 11:00 am

aghogday wrote:

Don't be discouraged if one can. There are different kinds of Autistic leaning folks.

[...]
Very interesting thoughts about emotion there aghogday. Thanks. I have been philosophizing around emotion a lot lately. I am not sure whether I agree with your thesis though. I have speculated that emotion might be the glue that binds people to the corporeal, or at least emotional attachment. I like what you said about motivating action, and I can totally see the connection. However, I'm not sure that action is the ultimate goal always of existence in the physical. Vipassana meditation practices the detachment from emotion. I don't know but perhaps this does not create a fighter or a CEO, but a passive observer, which might depend on what kind of mind you have though. This is a quote from History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell:

Quote:
In this life, there are three kinds of men, just as there are three sorts of people who come to the Olympic Games. The lowest class is made up of those who come to buy and sell, the next above them are those who compete. Best of all, however, are those who come simply to look on. The greatest purification of all is, therefore, disinterested science, and it is the man who devotes himself to that, the true philosopher, who has most effectually released himself from the 'wheel of birth.'

Thanks for the book tip, will look into that.

I have had a great interest in this area lately. For example the rise of Nazism and Hitler's interest in the occult and things like Qi interest me. And the dialectical development in the Jewish sphere. And how some see humanity as having been at its peak some time in the early 19th century and having been in decline ever since. The decline of the West and the white race that some claim is going on. Etc.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 10:49 pm

tomato wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

@Dillogic
He knows not what he does. His statement was not meant to be hostile to Jews.But that doesnt mean that IRL Jews wouldnt kick his silly ass for saying it! Lol!

@Tomato
The right to be heard does not guarantee the right to be taken seriously.

And if you're going make public statements like "all members of a subgroup of humanity have a certain neurological condition" then you run the risk of sounding both bigoted AND (because autism is biological) racist, AND just plain dumb. You have to take SOME responsibility for both what you say, and for how you say it in a public forum.

In all fairness in my humble opinion some cultures could be said to be "aspergian" in flavor- and Jewish culture is indeed an example of that. Another example is Japanese culture.

Nordic culture is often said to be "manic depressive". Forced to be that way because of the long dark winters and brief summers-which force alternating periods of torpor with short periods of bursts of action.

American culture? I think we as a people lean towards being ADHD myself!

But saying "Jewish culture is aspergian flavored" is hardly the same thing as saying "Jews are autistics".

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 12:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
tomato wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

@Dillogic
He knows not what he does. His statement was not meant to be hostile to Jews.But that doesnt mean that IRL Jews wouldnt kick his silly ass for saying it! Lol!

@Tomato
The right to be heard does not guarantee the right to be taken seriously.

And if you're going make public statements like "all members of a subgroup of humanity have a certain neurological condition" then you run the risk of sounding both bigoted AND (because autism is biological) racist, AND just plain dumb. You have to take SOME responsibility for both what you say, and for how you say it in a public forum.

In all fairness in my humble opinion some cultures could be said to be "aspergian" in flavor- and Jewish culture is indeed an example of that. Another example is Japanese culture.

Nordic culture is often said to be "manic depressive". Forced to be that way because of the long dark winters and brief summers-which force alternating periods of torpor with short periods of bursts of action.

American culture? I think we as a people lean towards being ADHD myself!

But saying "Jewish culture is aspergian flavored" is hardly the same thing as saying "Jews are autistics".
Many of my ideas and hypotheses are politically incorrect. I frequently encounter attitudes such as yours and that of some in this thread. I see that as a good sign. Trailblazers have to chop through a lot of shrubbery.

Last edited by tomato on 29 Dec 2014, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 12:19 am

tomato wrote:

Yes, Tomato, that's the one. :)

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 4:07 am

well, on the OT:

People with Asperger’s less likely to see purpose behind the events in their lives

this is something i feel as well; being religious feels just illogical; invoking any form of diety in holes in knowledge ("god of the gaps") is a sign of weakness...

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 1:44 pm

izzeme wrote:
well, on the OT:

People with Asperger’s less likely to see purpose behind the events in their lives

this is something i feel as well; being religious feels just illogical; invoking any form of diety in holes in knowledge ("god of the gaps") is a sign of weakness...

Interesting. When I have been browsing the web I have seen before pages about a connection between lacking "mentalization", the concept I mentioned above, and less belief in a personal God. There appears to me to be a big similarity between autism and lacking mentalization, perhaps just two ways of saying the same thing. This is interesting because a lot of Jews are secular, atheist or don't believe in a particular religion. Found this online which is about Israel only:

Quote:
42 percent of Israeli Jews aged over 20 describe themselves as 'secular' according to the Central Bureau of Statistics annual social survey, released on Sunday. An additional 25% of Jews defined themselves as 'not very religious traditionalists.'
source: http://www.jpost.com/Israel/42-percent-of-Jews-identify-as-secular

I have speculated that perhaps "Jews in Egypt" might be people with disorders such as aspergers, and "Jews in Babylon" might be people with psychotic illnesses. The line between the two being the first psychotic break, "Moses on Sinai". By the way they have a movie out now called Exodus. And it does seem like vast numbers of people are "waking up" plus vast numbers of people are having mental disorders and illnesses now. Might be some connection to why a movie entitled Exodus has been made now, but I don't know.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:49 pm

tomato wrote:
izzeme wrote:
well, on the OT:

Interesting. When I have been browsing the web I have seen before pages about a connection between lacking "mentalization", the concept I mentioned above, and less belief in a personal God. There appears to me to be a big similarity between autism and lacking mentalization, perhaps just two ways of saying the same thing. This is interesting because a lot of Jews are secular, atheist or don't believe in a particular religion. Found this online which is about Israel only:

Quote:
42 percent of Israeli Jews aged over 20 describe themselves as 'secular' according to the Central Bureau of Statistics annual social survey, released on Sunday. An additional 25% of Jews defined themselves as 'not very religious traditionalists.'
source: http://www.jpost.com/Israel/42-percent-of-Jews-identify-as-secular

I have speculated that perhaps "Jews in Egypt" might be people with disorders such as aspergers, and "Jews in Babylon" might be people with psychotic illnesses. The line between the two being the first psychotic break, "Moses on Sinai". By the way they have a movie out now called Exodus. And it does seem like vast numbers of people are "waking up" plus vast numbers of people are having mental disorders and illnesses now. Might be some connection to why a movie entitled Exodus has been made now, but I don't know.

As a human who lived AND PERCEIVED like a 'robot' BEFORE and am an extremely creative person NOW, NOTED AS SUCH IN THE ARTISTIC WORLD, and no, OF COURSE not usually, IN the autistic world of so-called reason, here, the two worlds are almost totally separate per true human effect and affect, PER REALITY AS IS NOW.

In the creative process, which truly is not much different than what the 'old folks' call connecting to a Holy Spirit, there is a flow that is not controlled by PERCEIVED conscious mind alone, and the synchronicities that do happen that I can measure with a scientific yard stick too, just in the art I did yesterday and today and documented and document as such, go well beyond any normal ideal of statistical probability, as even possible.

There is A FORCE in this HUMAN Universe that is truly personal in some way THAT CAN BE so far beyond the imagination of folks who live in the 'robot' life that I too, used to live IN that is A difference between a rabbit in A faUX magic hat and TRUE ALL NATURAL MAGICK THAT IS MAGICK TO ONE WHO TRULY PARTICIPATES AS ONE WITH HUMAN CREATIVITY AND THE FORCE OF GOD AS IS.

AND SURE, many artists are prophets similar as true as prophets of old, AND THEY DO CONNECT TO A UNIVERSAL human FORCE connecting them to GOD THAT ONE WHO SEES THE PATTERNS AND CONNECTIONS OF GOD can and DO allow one to plainly see.

AND OH MY GOD, MORE THAN EVER FOR ARTISTS WHO cooperate together and see the truths together as one voice in unison, NOW, as 'we' have electronic connections of human creativity across the globe of Hive of humans living life, as both 'robot' AND CREATIVE leaning folks in tandem flow.

The joy in that CAN be almost continuous bliss, and some folks CANNOT IMAGINE WHAT THE REALITY OF THAT IS LIKE.

IT'S LIKE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SMILE ON A DOG'S FACE AND A GROWL PER different ways of perceiving another Universe that CAN BE life, NOW, AS ALMOST totally different for one person and another one or THREE or more sitting in a so-called same room of UNIverse AS what they think is one SAME ROOM, but nah, IS NOT IN true human effect AND AFFECT.