Page 5 of 13 [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 10:43 am

Sylkat wrote:
Though Jesus' crucifixion has not been proven, there is nothing to disprove His existence nor His death by this means.

Crucifixion would have been considered a proper form of execution for rebellion, according to Roman law. Pilate's reasoning would have been also appropriate....if He was not rebelling or teaching revolution against Roman rule, the Romans would have cared less about religious spats within a conquered people.....and would have no reason for the time, effort, and expense of a public execution.

The biblical account of His death shows that it was desired by only corrupt religious leaders....no one else was threatened by His teaching.

To the masses, He was just one more itinerant street preacher/ rebbe.

Belief in His Resurrection is a choice, as is acceptance of His teachings as coming from One who was more than human.

Belief that a bit of wood came from His cross has nothing to do with His existence, teaching, or who He was or is.

The Shroud of Turin is inconsistent with the teaching of no image being worshipped or revered.

True and sadly enough many folks don't understand what faith even is.

Faith is not A requirement to believe that Jesus is the only Son of GOD OR WAS RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD, AS fundamentalist modern so-called Christians STILL, NOW, AND FOR MANY CENTURIES MANIPULATE FOLKS in the 'herd of sheep' TO BELIEVE FOR SELFISH PSYCHOPATHIC LEANING GREED.

Faith is KNOWING DEEP DOWN WITH HUMAN EMOTION TO POWER HUMAN ACTION IN REAL LIFE that one can heal themselves and has relative free will with GOD aka Mother Nature True in this life, NOW.

The Gnostic Gospel of Thomas, no matter who wrote it rings true to me in this sense..

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/thomas.htm

As I know that GOD exists on the beach without human beings at all.

And a Seagull makes his or her way in life based on FAITH OF LIVING LIFE NOW TO NOW WITH GOD ALLONE.

SO YEAH, I AM A 'seagull' too, AND I 'CRAP' on mis-truths when I see them.

But other 'SEAGULLS JUST' live with GOD, AND they truly are the 'SMART SEAGULLS' OF LIFE.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 11:17 am

Sylkat wrote:
Though Jesus' crucifixion has not been proven, there is nothing to disprove His existence nor His death by this means.

Crucifixion would have been considered a proper form of execution for rebellion, according to Roman law. Pilate's reasoning would have been also appropriate....if He was not rebelling or teaching revolution against Roman rule, the Romans would have cared less about religious spats within a conquered people.....and would have no reason for the time, effort, and expense of a public execution.

The biblical account of His death shows that it was desired by only corrupt religious leaders....no one else was threatened by His teaching.

To the masses, He was just one more itinerant street preacher/ rebbe.

Belief in His Resurrection is a choice, as is acceptance of His teachings as coming from One who was more than human.

Belief that a bit of wood came from His cross has nothing to do with His existence, teaching, or who He was or is.

The Shroud of Turin is inconsistent with the teaching of no image being worshipped or revered.
Thank you.

You are much more eloquent than I, and you've expressed these appropriate facts in plain and simple English - no convoluted word salads, and no Ad Hominem attacks.

Thanks again!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 12:22 pm

Oldavid wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
only believers can see him. he supports all things pasta. my particular denomination prefers whole wheat.
And it lives in the blanket that you carry in the crook of your arm that has the thumb that you suck on the end of it. Right??

are you mocking my faith? christians and muslims don' t tolerate that. why should I?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 2:19 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
Harvey wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:

1- the gospels were created by titus and vespasian with some help from their family historian, josephus, who was also of the pisco family. the gospels, when completed, ~ 70AD, was in fact, submitted to the roman senate to prove vespasian and his son are gods... the many stories of jesus in the gospels mirrors that of titus's campaigns in judea... fishers of men for example... that is a play on words on the battlefield, on the sea of galilee, where titus slayed so many jews, that titus was a 'fisher of men' with the sea choked up with dead bodies... Go read the gospels, along side the war of the jews by josephus, as well as the historical accounts of vespsaian and his son, titus.

2- paul, who was also called saul, and his other not so well known name, apollos, was a master builder, also lawless. the dead sea scrolls calls out paul/saul (apollos) of tarsus a 'great deceiver' and 'liar'. paul gives 3 accounts of his 'conversion' on the road to damascus and neither one agrees on the details... as well as paul saying one time about keeping the law, and another, about not keeping the law... paul is lawless and is the creator of what became christianity...

so; all your 'sources' of the resurrection is based on error information... your 12 accounts are based on stories created by Rome to enslave a people in Judea, it worked so well, it is still working today... circular logic at work...

besides, what is the difference between the passover lamb and the atonement sacrifice? when they say jesus is the passover lamb... this then would only apply to the first born...and it is not about even taking away sins, but that the angel of death passes over you... nothing to do with atonement...

At least Islam is monotheist, as was Abraham.... while christianity is polytheist; (trinitarian, or worship a triune god)...

I have to read up on much of what you said before commenting. But...

Your claim that the Romans invented these stories to enslave the Jews makes no sense. Why would the Romans create a character that many Jews believed would overthrow Roman rule (though they misunderstood the purpose of the Messiah's coming)? Also, the Romans would not know or understand the Jewish scriptures enough to create a character that fulfilled so many Old Testament prophecies. If Romans created these stories, why were Christians later killed for believing them? How does it enslave a people to teach them about freedom? Jesus said that true freedom was found in him.

Now for your theological questions...

Jesus fulfilled ALL the Old Testament sacrificial laws in one act. He is both the Passover Lamb and the Atoning Sacrifice in one.

The Atoning Sacrifice in the O.T. was what temporarily satisfied the need for forgiveness of sin. That is why it had to be repeated. The sacrifice of an animal was a foreshadowing of the perfect sacrifice to come. Jesus was the perfect Atoning Sacrifice because he was human, yet sinless. In his perfection, he was able to be a suitable sacrifice. In his humanness, he was the perfect substitution so the sacrifice no longer had to be repeated.

The idea of him being the Passover Lamb is that the blood over the door frames of the houses told which houses were protected from the Angel of Death. This also was a foreshadowing of what was to come. It is about faith. The Hebrews in the O.T. story demonstrated faith in that they believed that putting the blood on their door frames would protect their family. Those who put their faith in Jesus are spiritually putting Jesus' blood on the door frames of their souls, so that when the day of Judgment comes, death will pass over them. Those who put their faith in Jesus Christ are promised eternal life.

You also misunderstand the doctrine of the Trinity. I do know it is hard to explain, but the best way I can describe it is a royal family. A Prince, though not the King, is still to be venerated. If a Prince is sent as a messenger to another country, it might as well be the King. Two separate people, two different roles, same family, same respect due, same kind of authority when it comes to dealing with the subjects of the kingdom. It is not treason to venerate the Prince because exalting the Prince is the same as exalting the King - one would be exalting the same family.

On top of that, Christianity had been a persecuted faith in the Roman Empire. It makes absolutely no sense for the Romans to try to destroy their own invention, if they indeed had invented it. On top of that, we know that Christianity had predated the reigns of Vespasian and Titus, as The Emperor Claudius (who was prejudiced against eastern "cults") had been so alarmed about reports of a resurrection in Judea, that he had made grave robbing in that province punishable by death. While the Emperor Nero, seeing popular discontent directed against him after the great fire in Rome, put the blame on the Christians, and ardently persecuted them.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 2:45 pm

It's not a fair comparison to be honest, Jesus was supposedly a son of god, a divine creature, hence why he could be super nice and accept slaps without remorse, while Mohammad was supposedly to be a human.

Jesus was more of a spiritual guru and freethinker back then, while Mohammad was a war-leader with supposedly a divine message.

Now, if you compare ALLAH to the Christian God/Yahweh, they're both horrible beings.

If you really want to fairly compare Mohammad to a Christian figure, then compare him to David, the insane king who supposedly exterminated the Canaanite children because some god told him so.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 2:49 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It's not a fair comparison to be honest, Jesus was supposedly a son of god, a divine creature, hence why he could be super nice and accept slaps without remorse, while Mohammad was supposedly to be a human.

Jesus was more of a spiritual guru and freethinker back then, while Mohammad was a war-leader with supposedly a divine message.

Now, if you compare ALLAH to the Christian God/Yahweh, they're both horrible beings.

If you really want to fairly compare Mohammad to a Christian figure, then compare him to David, the insane king who supposedly exterminated the Canaanite children because some god told him so.

I thought Judaism has more of a claim on David than Christianity.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 2:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Christianity started as a liberal cult born from Judaism (and from Jewish society) and the Old Testament is still a significant part of this religion.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 3:05 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Christianity started as a liberal cult born from Judaism (and from Jewish society) and the Old Testament is still a significant part of this religion.

Be that as it may, I personally give Judaism dibs on the OT.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 3:14 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Other than the name Koresh, was there any connection between Teed and David Koresh?

Not as far as I know. The Branch Davidians were a schismatic group of Davidian Seventh-day Adventists, which itself is a schismatic group of the Seventh-day Adventist church.

Teed's 'Koreshanity' is rooted in Christianity, but not specifically in Adventist Christianity.

The name Koresh itself... Koresh is the Hebrew version of the name Cyrus, referring to Cyrus the Great, the Persian king who is named a Messiah for freeing Jews during the Babylonian Captivity.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 3:22 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Other than the name Koresh, was there any connection between Teed and David Koresh?

Not as far as I know. The Branch Davidians were a schismatic group of Davidian Seventh-day Adventists, which itself is a schismatic group of the Seventh-day Adventist church.

Teed's 'Koreshanity' is rooted in Christianity, but not specifically in Adventist Christianity.

The name Koresh itself... Koresh is the Hebrew version of the name Cyrus, referring to Cyrus the Great, the Persian king who is named a Messiah for freeing Jews during the Babylonian Captivity.

Thanks.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 3:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
There were also in fact first century accounts by Roman historians like Tacitus and Seutonius who wrote of how the early Christians were persecuted by both Roman and Jewish society. Kind of hard to have Christians without the founder Christ.

So you cannot have Odinists without Odin, and Hare Krishna without Krishna?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 3:43 pm

trollcatman wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
There were also in fact first century accounts by Roman historians like Tacitus and Seutonius who wrote of how the early Christians were persecuted by both Roman and Jewish society. Kind of hard to have Christians without the founder Christ.

So you cannot have Odinists without Odin, and Hare Krishna without Krishna?

In both those cases, you had to have had some sort of origin that inspired those beliefs. I admit I know next to nothing about Krishna, but with Odin, there might have been a prehistoric Germanic war leader who had inspired Odin/Wodan in later Northern religion, equating him with the much older Indo-European deity of the wind who also led the souls of the dead to the next life.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 4:30 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
if i had the choice i would follow neither.

i don't follow paedophiles, wealthy or otherwise.

Uh... since when had Jesus ever been accused of pedophilia?

I think that the Church of Scientology made that claim in one of their "religious texts".

Well they have wrong. Jesus died as a virgin.

I doubt that the Church of Scientology is right about much of anything.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 5:52 pm

Eric I think that's a point pretty much everyone here can agree on. Scientology is a whole level of insane that I cannot understand.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 9:10 pm

cathylynn wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
only believers can see him. he supports all things pasta. my particular denomination prefers whole wheat.
And it lives in the blanket that you carry in the crook of your arm that has the thumb that you suck on the end of it. Right??

are you mocking my faith? christians and muslims don' t tolerate that. why should I?
Of course not! Since you are clearly not trying to mock Christians I wouldn't dream of mocking Noodle Monsterians.

I'm just trying to get the details right as I'm thinking of converting.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 9:12 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Eric I think that's a point pretty much everyone here can agree on. Scientology is a whole level of insane that I cannot understand.

Several high profile celebrities follow Scientology. On that basis, it must be right. :P

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.