Sylkat wrote:
Dear Funeralxempire,

Don't forget Cyrus Teed!

Cyrus Teed? Who dat?

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 8:24 pm

I think Jesus is cooler, for the simple reason that he was not a war leader; his track record of smiting unbelievers is extremely limited.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2014, 10:00 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Jesus would kick Mohammeds ass!

But Jesus is Pacifist. :D

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:08 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
if i had the choice i would follow neither.

i don't follow paedophiles, wealthy or otherwise.

Uh... since when had Jesus ever been accused of pedophilia?

I think that the Church of Scientology made that claim in one of their "religious texts".

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2014, 10:08 pm

chagya wrote:
Fnord wrote:
chagya wrote:
AntDog wrote:
Jesus Christ he is king of kings, lord of lords and conquered the grave!! !
There is much compelling evidence that the resurrection never happened and that the story of the crucifixion is full of holes. People will believe what they are conditioned to believe and not even examine evidence that conflicts with their conditioning. Old news.
Regardless, how can you not like a guy who stopped a woman from being stoned to death, and who once told everyone, "Blessed are the peacemakers ..."?

I do admire Jesus as a man. Just saying that his glorification is baseless.

Is that so? What about the millions of people who claim to have meet him? Are they all insane? Why have no other followers of another religions same experiance with their "god"?

Jesus is alive, and he is showing it. My dead grandma is proof, she meet Jesus 2 times when she was dead and brought back, she said it was not like a dream, it was like 10000 % real...and she was not some grazy women or a lier or even very religious.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2014, 10:12 pm

eric76 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
if i had the choice i would follow neither.

i don't follow paedophiles, wealthy or otherwise.

Uh... since when had Jesus ever been accused of pedophilia?

I think that the Church of Scientology made that claim in one of their "religious texts".

Well they have wrong. Jesus died as a virgin.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
chagya wrote:
AntDog wrote:
There is much compelling evidence that the resurrection never happened and that the story of the crucifixion is full of holes. People will believe what they are conditioned to believe and not even examine evidence that conflicts with their conditioning. Old news.
Regardless, how can you not like a guy who stopped a woman from being stoned to death, and who once told everyone, "Blessed are the peacemakers ..."?

Ohhh.. not the cheesemakers. Now I get it.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:46 pm

chagya wrote:
AntDog wrote:

What evidence against the resurrection, and what holes in the story? Details, please.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:47 pm

"Blessed are the censors, for they shall inhibit the Earth" fortunately was not part of the Beatitudes (even though some Christians seem to think it should be).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:51 pm

People claiming to have seen Jesus is not much evidence. There are also lots of people claiming to have seen aliens/ghosts/bigfoot/gnomes. And to believers of religions now gone their Gods were just as real to them as Christ is to Christians today. The believers in the Germanic/Norse pantheon also believed Wodan/Odin walked among humans on earth and that he died and came back to life, and will die again in the future and be avenged by his son.
Genuine belief by believers is not evidence.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:54 pm

"Belief is Not Evidence, and Faith Proves Nothing." -- Me.

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Belief is Not Evidence, and Faith Proves Nothing." -- Me.

:wink:

I agree! And since I am a reasonable person and do a lot of research, I can say that my faith is not just hung in the air on some fantasy.

I am willing to engage a discussion on the evidences I personally find reasonable. But I want to know what people have a problem with. What holes in the story of the resurrection? What evidences against it?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 11:04 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
Who was the better man? Who would you rather follow?

As far as we know, Jesus never had carnal intercourse with a nine year old girl. The Prophet (PBUH) did. Dirty old Prophet.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 11:06 pm

The Crucifixion? No evidence to support it. Not one tomb, but dozens. Enough alleged pieces of "The One True Cross" to build a condominium. No written Roman records. Only a few accounts written decades after the alleged incident, and not by any eye-witnesses. Even the "Shroud of Turin" has been proven to be a fraud.

It all has to be taken on subjective faith, and faith proves nothing.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 11:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
No evidence to support it. Not one tomb, but dozens. Enough alleged pieces of "The One True Cross" to build a condominium. No written Roman records. Only a few accounts written decades after the alleged incident, and not by any eye-witnesses. Even the "Shroud of Turin" has been proven to be a fraud.

It all has to be taken on subjective faith, and faith proves nothing.

Not one tomb, but dozens - what do you mean by this? Empty tombs?

I'm not one to think much of relics, either, so the wood and the "Shroud of Turin" have never been anything I have considered. (I am not Catholic - they seem to care more about relics.)

Eye witnesses - plenty. Matthew and John, the Gospel writers, were eye-witnesses to the resurrected Jesus. Testimonies of 500 people at once seeing the resurrected Jesus are mentioned in Paul's writing. (See below.)

Roman guards were guarding the tomb. How did they not provide evidence to squash a false story? The Romans technically crucified Jesus on grounds of treason. If the disciples were trying to say that he had come back to life and were still promoting him as a leader, wouldn't they also have deserved punishment? The whole story, if it were not true, should have been able to be squashed before it even took off and started a religion. You're telling me that Jesus' dead body could not be brought forward to prove that these people were just a bunch of looney story-tellers? The Bible says (Matt. 28:11-18) that the Roman guards were bought off to say that the disciples stole the body. Really? They could convince the people that these bumbling disciples got around a Roman guard to raid a tomb?

And what do stories written decades after an incident happens have to do with anything? Old people tell stories of their younger years all the time. And, besides, those accounts are not so far off as you imagine. Forty years is not a long time.

Twelve accounts of resurrection appearances:
1. To Mary Magdalene (John 20:11)
2. To the other women (Matt. 28:9-10)
3. To Peter (Luke 24:34)
4. To two disciples (Luke 24:13-32)
5. To ten apostles (Luke 24:33-39)
6. To Thomas and the other apostles (John 20:26-30)
7. To seven apostles (John 21)
8. To all the apostles (Matt. 28:16-20)
9. To all the apostles again (Acts 1:4-9)
10. To 500 brethren (I Cor. 15:6)
11. To James (I Cor. 15:7)
12. To Paul (I Cor. 15:7)