Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2014, 6:30 pm

Dose anyone have bipolar and Aspegers ?

CalicoCat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2015, 3:41 pm

I do! It's hard for me to figure out where one starts and the other ends sometimes.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 5:27 am

I do, as well. I see the two as independent from one another, or at least it very much feels like that.

shartora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jan 2015, 4:03 pm

Both, to varying degrees. The manic phase is truly lovely, the world is bliss and anything is attainable. The depressed bit is a pain, but I view that as the price paid for the manic bit.

So the neurologist was correct.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 2:30 pm

I am diagnosed bipolar II, and am starting to think i might have mild Asperger's. Now if i can only get my therapist and psychiatrist to evaluate me for the ASD, as i've lately been reading a lot of stuff that mirrors my own symptoms in descriptions of Asperger's. It's a challenge, because they seem to have a hangup about putting labels on me, like i'll start conforming to stereotype. I suppose they have a point--perhaps it's not so important to assign a particular issue to one "label box" or another, as it is to figure out what to do about it.

The worse thing is that BP II doesn't give me "fun" manics much-- not so much the bliss and chatty, creative highs that BP I's get, but instead I get extremely grouchy, nervous, and claw holes in my skin, punctuated by occasional flailing, screaming, and Asperger-like meltdowns. Yuck. Happily, Lithium is very effective in controlling manic episodes for me. I only wish i could find a med to help with the depression better. Effexor and Trazadone are only so-so, and other drugs like Wellbutrin, Paxil, and Abilify work practically not at all.

catlady2323
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2015, 12:11 am

Yes - I have been diagnosed with both.

I find that when I am depressed I am less able to appear neurotypical. (In other words I display more of my autistic characteristics). My bipolar follows a seasonal pattern, so it is easy for me to anticipate what part of the cycle I will be in (depressed during the winter months, mildly hypomanic in the spring and early summer).

Managing the bipolar successfully has been much easier for me due to the Aspergers Syndrome (something my therapist pointed out). I was able to develop my own treatment regimen using the AS ability of being able to hyperfocus on one subject.

It has been much harder for me to successfully navigate in the neurotypical world as I am a woman with Aspergers Syndrome. I don't fit the common stereotype of Aspergers Syndrome that is based on how males with AS behave.

Aspie Score: 137 out of 200
Neurotypical Score: 67 out of 200
Diagnosed "genuis, borderline autism" at the age of 24 months
Level 1 Autism DSM-V

catlady2323
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2015, 12:21 am

GodzillaWoman wrote:
I am diagnosed bipolar II, .... Happily, Lithium is very effective in controlling manic episodes for me. I only wish i could find a med to help with the depression better. Effexor and Trazadone are only so-so, and other drugs like Wellbutrin, Paxil, and Abilify work practically not at all.

I am also diagnosed with Bipolar II, and for 22 months tried numerous psychotropic medications while under the care of one psychiatrist and one therapist. I also found that drugs like Wellbutrin, Paxil, and Abilify were useless in treating the depression.

Lithium has worked the best for me to reduce the seasonal hypomania I experience to easily manageable levels, and to reduce the severity of the winter time depression. I still experience winter time depression, it just isn't as severe.

Aspie Score: 137 out of 200
Neurotypical Score: 67 out of 200
Diagnosed "genuis, borderline autism" at the age of 24 months
Level 1 Autism DSM-V

SuperInferior
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2015, 12:57 pm

I'm both. Funnily enough, my autism is more obvious when I'm manic and I'm slightly more NT when I'm depressed.

I need your help to make a change!

AQ: 35 (8/10), SQ: 81, EQ: 12, FQ: 82,
RAADS-R: 179 (Language: 18, Social: 77, Sensory/Motor:49, Interests: 35)
Alexithymia: 167

Alexithymia forum: http://alexithymia.createaforum.com/

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 11:37 pm

SuperInferior wrote:
I'm both. Funnily enough, my autism is more obvious when I'm manic and I'm slightly more NT when I'm depressed.

That seems about right for me, too. I wonder if it's a common trait.