Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2015, 5:38 pm

Pretty furious.

The problem is not the spectrum, the problem is a severe lack of infrastructure, where NTs have an egregious amount of support by comparison. Except we've been screaming this for decades now.

One parent has her warbling posted up on that damn huffington post for the world to see, they actually pick it up and run it and there's actual discussion on it, yet instead of exposing on the problems that AS people have to face, instead she paints herself as the victim.... No, we're the ones that are disenfranchised!

Should have used do not link so they don't get their bux.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:18 am

Just because parents have a place to write about what they are going through as parents doesn't mean that they don't write about their children and discuss them, their behavior, their therapies, their likes and dislikes, whats going good, whats going bad, what they did new and what they are having trouble with somewhere else on the internet. More than likely that place is private so they aren't publicly posting information about their child with just anybody who wants to read about him.

Just because they are parents doesn't mean that their need to vent, talk, whine, rant, or just b***h about how unfair and tiring it can be, is invalid. I whined an enormous amount of time when my kids were little and they were all regular NT kids I thought (and the jury is still out about my youngest son - I think he's got very mild AS, I know he's had bad ADHD and he's been deaf in one ear from birth). I was home with one kid in grammar school and then another baby and another and another, the last three 18 months apart, so I had three in diapers at once, and they only had me, all day, every day. I thought I was going to go absolutely insane. I would literally just cry out of sheer exhaustion and the fact that there was no break in sight from every single day being the same thing, over and over, and over with no time for me really.

Oh, I had help. Not paid help, but my husband helped me a lot and my mother would take a kid or two for the weekend every few weeks, and I got to sleep in one weekend day while my husband got the next, and when I just couldn't take it anymore, I would find a daycare that would take the little ones two days a week, or sometimes three, and find the money somehow just to get some time where I wasn't constantly on call and could relax.

If I went through all that with four basically NT seeming kids, who were actually pretty good kids and minded fairly well and weren't hellions or brats, and who were healthy and played with each other and got along with one another and I could focus on my housework and some other things I needed to do while they were busy, then just imagine what a parent goes through whose child needs every moment of their time, every day, and availability and many times their presence most of the night too. It's not just parents of autistic kids, it's parents of kids who may have something else besides autism that makes them need someone right there all the time to either help them function or learn to do things. It's also parents of kids recovering from accidents and illnesses who are bowled over by the sheer amount of neediness of their child and the complete lack of time for themselves, and they know it's only temporary during the kids recovery but it's still almost impossible to handle. I've known parents who went through those kinds of things, and those with kids who had long term intense needs. It's not easy and the parent is never just saying "oh poor me, forget about what the kid feels, be sorry for me". Whats going on in those blogs and posts and articles is that the parents are using a few minutes of their down time to just simply get something out there about themselves. Everything they do, every plan they make, every decision, every thought, everything, is about their kid. Their minds are on their child all the time and wondering not only if what they are doing is helping, but wondering if there is something more they could and should be doing, and if so where do they find out about it, how to pay for it, where to get the skills, etc. Do you really begrudge them a few minutes of posting to other parents as a message in a bottle type missive that just talks about how they are coping?

Even as a parent of just regular kids, I felt that my entire identity and self was caught up in them. Everything was about them unless I was able to make special plans and then it was hard to even talk about something that didn't concern them. It's just that way when you are a parent of a young kid, no matter what your childs abilities or disabilities etc, are. My four kids were happy and healthy and thriving and giving me good feedback day after day, but no matter how much I did, I always felt that there was something more I should be doing. I always thought I could be doing something to be a better mother, even though my kids were content as could be. Imagine the constant drive to find something else, something better, the one thing that would break through or make things better for your kid when no matter what you are doing, and no matter that you are pending every waking moment doing it or planning it or working or juggling to pay for it, you aren't getting very much in the way of confirmation that you are doing all you should and could do. Of course the professionals tell you that you are doing everything you can do, but thats not the feedback you want. You want to see your child learning and growing and responding or whatever that parents particular goal she's working on with her kid is, and she's just not getting very much of that from him because he can't give it to her and he still needs all her time, attention, effort and it's going to keep on for years if not decades, and she doesn't know what will help or when the light at the eend of the tunnel will be there so she can see that what they are doing is making a difference for him. She may not ever see it, or it could be years. Nobody knows. I knew that in x amount of years my kids would be in school, or this time next year they would all be out of diapers, or I could wean the baby in a few more months, and I knew the milestones to watch for and they all came pretty much on time except for my son's speech, but I got the good feedback from my kids, and the confirmation that they were thriving and I was doing something right and many of these parents don't get anything like that. They keep going on and on, not knowing if it's going to help their child or not, and probably wondering if they should be doing something else instead that might help him.

Any child is just a vacume of need. It's a big bottomless pit of selfishness for quite a while, and although you get the cuddles and such that are the best thing ever to a parent, you feel like your entire self is being sucked into taking care of this one little baby and it feels so very wrong to be feeling that way. It feels selfish to want somebody to ask how you are and if you want something special or if you would like to do this or see that movie or read this book instead of always being focused on the kids. It feels selfish to want someone to say "You are doing a great job. Let me give you a hand with it and you rest for a few." It feels childish and silly to want to say to somebody else out there, anybody out there "I haven't slept through the night in two weeks and haven't been able to put the baby down to even cook a meal because he's got colic and now the toddler has an ear infection and I can't even get both of them quiet and content long enough to go take a bath" or even "I can't even go to the bathroom alone, I'm going freaking nuts!" and to just vent about it, even though you wouldn't trade it for anything, but it's nice to get it out. Tell the truth. It's a hard job and it's ok to talk about how it sometimes sucks. That's all these parents are doing. They are posting for anybody who cares to read it. They may not be able to find time to get out of the house and meet somebody for coffee, or even be able to orchestrate everything so they can run to the grocery store for a can of coffee to make at home when they run out, and they spend most of their time concentrating on their child, doing for their child, willingly sacrificing for their child.

It doesn't invalidate their love and their commitment to just want to get some of the very real hardships of it off their chests. Every parent has those times, and the more your kid needs you and the more you focus all your time on him and lose sight of you, the more you need to just stick your head out the window and yell to somebody else out there who isn't sitting there with you trying to accomplish whatever you and your child are working on right that moment so that not only do you find a connection with somebody else, no matter how tenuous or casual a connection it is, but you need to make sure you know that you are still heard and remembered in that world of grown ups and freedom that you used to inhabit, and knowing that it's still there and that you aren't forgotten about and somebody out there in that world has been in your situation and gotten through it and is now on the other side of it, can make you feel better. Hoping that somebody like that will read your blog or post or whatever it is that you write and put out there and hoping you get a word of encouragement back is sometimes enough, and when you hear from enough people "it does get better, they do grow up, you do have time again" you start to believe it, and one day you will be on the other side and you can read the posts about what life is like for the parents who are in the middle of that rushing river that feels like it's drowning you or about to pull you under and you can tell them "Yes, I understand. You are doing what you need to. Keep it up. It will get better" and maybe, just maybe, the encouragement is enough to get them over the hump on the low days and keep on keeping on, and knowing that their words are being read by somebody out there, and even though they don't see anybody or do anything with others, or really engage in anything that isn't child related, they know they have found a way to make sure they can still speak as individuals, about their own feelings and be understood by someone, and maybe just knowing that someone out there is thinking of them even for ten minutes when checking their blog, it's enough for right then.

Do you really, really, honestly, truly, actually begrudge anyone the chance to just have their feelings heard?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2015, 9:37 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Do you really, really, honestly, truly, actually begrudge anyone the chance to just have their feelings heard?

.... Yes.

The things she's talking about, they're exclusively AS hardships. She essentially hijacked them, and painted them as parental hardships.

Furthermore,

This one person that no one has heard of, writes this little thing, and it ends up as a big story on huffington post.
Compare that to, AS people screaming about these problems for decades, and people are still blissfully ignorant.

Do you see why that's infuriating?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 11:49 am

Moromillas wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

.... Yes.

The things she's talking about, they're exclusively AS hardships. She essentially hijacked them, and painted them as parental hardships.

Furthermore,

This one person that no one has heard of, writes this little thing, and it ends up as a big story on huffington post.
Compare that to, AS people screaming about these problems for decades, and people are still blissfully ignorant.

Sounds like jealousy to me. How is she hurting her kid by blogging and having people read it? These parents aren't trying to say how terrible it is to be in their shoes, they are simply telling the truth about what their life is like and how they handle it. That doesn't mean every parent has the same experience, nor does it paint autistic kids as burdens on parents or as little monsters who victimize their parents and force them into lifelong slavery.

You want a hint? Almost every parent feels that the job is too much for them at one time or other, and thats just with the average amount of work and responsibility and worry. The more you add to it, whether by increasing the number of kids or increasing the amount of time that one or more child requires from the parent, then the more pressure that parent feels. You don't think she has a right to feel the pressure of her situation, or do you just not thinks she has the right to have people read what she wrote because you, nor another aspie, wrote it?

You want to get your side out there? Start a blog. Polish up your writing skills. Start blogging every day and post interesting things that encourage people to start following your blog. Then if your topics are pertinent and your writing is good and your style is likable and your posts are entertaining or at least thought provoking, then you too will get picked up and talked about on Huffington.

You have the same chance she has. What are you complaining about then, exactly?

Get to writing and don't get bitter over the fact that someone else's stuff is read. This is her 15 minutes of fame, and if you want yours then you need to do something to get it. It's not just handed to you because you have an opinion. It's honestly the literary equivalent of serving a whole, cooked lobster. It might be really great and mouthwatering, but if you don't serve it up right then nobody will take a bite to find out. With lobsters as with op-ed style pieces, presentation is everything, and it's a messy undertaking at times so be sure not to hit yourself or anybody else with the drippings.

Buzz201
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2015, 12:30 pm

Moromillas wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

.... Yes.

Furthermore,

Could seeing your child going through hardship not be a hardship in itself? Especially if you want to help the child but can't.

Also, perhaps it's the "screaming" that's the issue. You tend to find people that speak politely and eloquently get their voices heard more frequently than those that just shout phrases aloud, regardless of the validity of their point...

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 12:42 pm

Moromillas wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

.... Yes.

Furthermore,

I guess my issue is that this was posted on HP, not a private blog. Her attitude seems cold to me and her blog is completely one sided. The HP is furthering the marginalization of autistic children by publishing this blogpost. It is infuriating that she objectifies her child so much that she doesn't see him as anything other than a burden. And that it has gotten such exposure can only be bad for the percption of autistic people in society.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 2:06 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

.... Yes.

Furthermore,

I guess my issue is that this was posted on HP, not a private blog. Her attitude seems cold to me and her blog is completely one sided. The HP is furthering the marginalization of autistic children by publishing this blogpost. It is infuriating that she objectifies her child so much that she doesn't see him as anything other than a burden. And that it has gotten such exposure can only be bad for the percption of autistic people in society.

You cannot say with any authority at all how this lady sees her child. I didn't see her child as the burden to her, I saw the problems they both had to deal with due to the autism as the burden. Because the autism puts burdens on someone does in no way mean that the child who has the autism is a burden. Hell, mine puts burdens on me a lot of times, and I dare you to read the Haven or L&D and not see post after post talking about the hardships and burdens that autism has put on these posters.

You could try fancy linguistic gymnastics and say that it isn't autism that puts these burdens on people, it's society and it's because autistic traits aren't accepted as normal. However, if someone is completely unable to interpret what another person means and cant make themselves ask, or cannot bring themselves to carry on a conversation with someone of the opposite sex who they are attracted to, whether thats because they are too shy and afraid of rejection or because they get tongue tied and confused in their own minds, then it's not society that has added these burdens to lives, it's either the autism that's added them by preventing communication in any effective way, or it's the complete lack of mind reading in human adults, which you can't really blame on anything.

I know of no society or rules of etiquette that would require someone to inquire if every other person they come in contact with has complete understanding of the information they just conveyed, and if the person still is unable to answer 'no, I dont understand", then there is nothing society or regular old manners can do that would cause the original speaker to know that he or she needs to explain. As for not being able to talk to someone you are attracted to,, then what is society to do about that? Should everyone be required by the social contract to date everyone who asks them, or should there be a common signal in use that everyone uses when they simply set eyes on each other, that means "I want to go out with you"? How does autism not put burdens on people in those situations?

As for the accusation of being one sided, any opinion piece worth it's ink or pixals is one sided. Thats what an opinion piece is, and thats obviously what her blog is. Her account of how her life goes. Her opinion on it. Just because she's angry with the situation that she most likely feels is unfair does not mean she objectifies her son. Almost every aspie I've ever heard or read has said at one time or another that it's not fair that they have to deal with this. Why is it ok for an aspie to feel they are unfairly treated by the luck of the draw but it's not ok for the mother to feel that her child wasn't treated fairly? Is it because she feels that she has been roped into this unfairly as well? Because to be honest, she has. Just like every parent of every child who has been born with a problem, gotten seriously ill, been in a bad accident, or even died. It effects the child just as much emotionally as it does the mother right now. Over time, as he grows up, it might lessen for her, but right now her baby is seemed to be suffering in her opinion and therefore she suffers. Thats how any decent mother feels. She suffers when her child suffers, because her child is suffering. Also, she knows whats waiting for him down the road and she's worried about that and dreading how things could go so completely pearshaped for him and hoping and praying and everything else that it won't do that. He probably doesn't have that long view of things, because most kids don't, autistic nor NT.

So what if it's on HP? It's a popular blog site. Mormon moms who do every single thing for their families and do it with a song and ribbons and smiles are very popular bloggers, and so are mothers of autistic kids. Mothers of autistic kids are seen by most people as the most dedicated and hardworking mothers ever, and those who haven't had kids yet, or are in their childbearing years do have a fear that they may end up in that situation, every parent worries about the slightest thing being imperfect about their child. Older people who are done with having kids can read these moms and see what their life would have been like if they hadn't been so lucky as to escape the same fate, in their minds. It's like reading about an endurance trial that you were frightened you would be forced to perform, and lots of people do have a half guilty "whistling past the grave yard" feeling of narrow escape when imagining her life an wondering if they would do it as good as her or could they have even done it at all. So, moms of autistic kids blogs are a glimpse into what many parents are terrified of, and its usually with great respect and admiration that people regard these women.

If you want to change the perception of autistic children as being so needy and "burdensome" then maybe you should question why blogs of moms of mildly autistic kids aren''t as popular. It's not that people only want to believe that autism is severe and debilitating, it's more along the lines of the tougher the situation, the stronger the person who comes through it ok. Most people like their heros to go up against harsher things than a handful of quirks and a refusal to wear certain socks, along with intense interest in subjects that bore the life out off the rest of the family. Thats not that different from most people's lives. These moms with the more severely effected kids have the lives that are different. That's what gets readers. Nobody wants to read about something that's almost like home, most people want new, exciting, adventure, or at least a manly struggle against adversity.

Go figure.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 2:29 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Thats how any decent mother feels. She suffers when her child suffers, because her child is suffering. Also, she knows whats waiting for him down the road and she's worried about that and dreading how things could go so completely pearshaped for him and hoping and praying and everything else that it won't do that.

Are you saying this about the blogwriter or just in general? Because neither of us can know what kind of parent she is.
Again, my criticism is of this piece of writing in particular. I imagine life is hard for her, but this blog objectifies her son in a way that hurts all autistic people.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 3:05 pm

androbot01 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Thats how any decent mother feels. She suffers when her child suffers, because her child is suffering. Also, she knows whats waiting for him down the road and she's worried about that and dreading how things could go so completely pearshaped for him and hoping and praying and everything else that it won't do that.

Are you saying this about the blogwriter or just in general? Because neither of us can know what kind of parent she is.
Again, my criticism is of this piece of writing in particular. I imagine life is hard for her, but this blog objectifies her son in a way that hurts all autistic people.

In general because while I assume she feels that way, there's never any guarantee. Like my grandmother always said, people are crazy so you never know.

As for how her blog makes autistics look, that interpretation is up to each reader. She may be using her blog to vent her frustrations and it may very well be one of the few things she has that is about her and only her. Of course she could be a harpie who just doesn't really care, but I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially people who are under heavy emotional strain, which you have to agree that she is under.

As I said earlier, if you want to get another view of autism out there, get a group of moms of kids with mild AS to start blogging and then promote their posts.

The internet isn't run by truth, honor, fairness, or anything other than popularity. If her post is the kind of thing people go after, then thats whats out there. Also, have you considered that others may see her post the same way you do and promote it purely for sensationalism and causing conflict? Stirring up the pot is always good for bringing up some kind of meat in the pot, so when there isn't anything else to look at, then cause controversy and sit back and look at it happen. That could or could not be the reason it's there. We have no way of knowing.

At least the internet gods haven't picked Chris Chan as the poster child and face of autism, and you know that could very well happen if it went viral. It wouldn't change anything major, but it might influence the opinions of those who are easily swayed or are very gullible. Nobody has any control over whats popular or gets the views online. It's fickle and it always plays to public opinion, appetite and any tie in interests that can be found. So next week there may be something else about us, or nothing at all.

It's just the internet and anybody who actually forms a firm opinion of a diverse group of people based on a few internet blog posts, videos and rants is probably not going to be someone who is in any position to effect any type of change at all outside their own kitchen. I see it the same as the National Enquirer type tabloids. If one of those published some horror stories about us then I'm sure that more than a handful of uneducated and easily swayed people would eat it up hook, line, and sinker. It still wouldn't have any bearing on us though, because those people are too busy trying to hunt Bigfoot to give a crap about what some autistics are up to. ;-)

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
That doesn't mean every parent has the same experience, nor does it paint autistic kids as burdens on parents or as little monsters who victimize their parents and force them into lifelong slavery.

Yes it absolutely does, that's exactly what people get from the article. The take away people have isn't "Oh, NTs have all this support, while AS people have none." but rather "AS people are a burden on their parents, then probably society."

OliveOilMom wrote:
You want to get your side out there? Start a blog. Polish up your writing skills. Start blogging every day .... you too will get picked up and talked about on Huffington.

No, no we don't have the same chances, we don't have the same vocals, that's part of the problem. If it were as simple as "make a blog" we would already have our voices heard by now. There are many Aspergians that do have blogs, very good blogs, but instead this nonsense gets picked up. By comparison, this one Mum has a megaphone, while we all have a gag.

It's another side effect of the vile stigmas. When someone holds a strange idea about you, it's nigh on impossible to shake it. That's why AS people are thoroughly ignored; NTs think there's just something wrong with them, and your words carry no weight because of the stigma itself, so you can't even rebuke to rebut the nonsense.

OliveOilMom wrote:
It's honestly the literary equivalent of serving a whole, cooked lobster. It might be really great and mouthwatering, but if you don't serve it up right then nobody will take a bite to find out. With lobsters as with op-ed style pieces, presentation is everything, and it's a messy undertaking at times so be sure not to hit yourself or anybody else with the drippings.

No it's nothing like lobster. It's like middle eastern food, all of it. People look at all the strange names, and already have all these misconceptions about the food, like "their meat sits out for a long time" they don't want to even consider it, and go with something like spaghetti bolognese. Tell them that it's not bad, they're not going to believe it, they automatically think the source is untrustworthy, or doesn't understand "real food".

Buzz201 wrote:
Also, perhaps it's the "screaming" that's the issue. ...politely and eloquently...

It is a metaphor.
You fail at understanding.

OliveOilMom wrote:
However, if someone is completely unable to interpret what another person means and cant make themselves ask, or cannot bring themselves to carry on a conversation with someone of the opposite sex who they are attracted to, whether thats because they are too shy and afraid of rejection or because they get tongue tied and confused in their own minds, then it's not society that has added these burdens to lives, it's either the autism that's added them by preventing communication in any effective way, or it's the complete lack of mind reading in human adults, which you can't really blame on anything.

The communication breakdown you're talking about, it is because of a two way cause, and it's very easy to see it as "the other person has the problem". It's very easy for me to think when it happens, that they (NTs) don't have the capacity to understand, when they might very well have the capacity.

Then there's the perception of AS people that NTs have, which is another problem entirely. I can tell you right now that the ostracism doesn't come about because of "shyness".

OliveOilMom wrote:
Her opinion on it.

In a nutshell this is the crux of it, she's espousing opinions that are being taken as facts. And the take away that people get from it, are handfuls of stigmas and misconceptions that then become heavily ingrained, and it becomes very problematic for us. It makes it harder for us to survive, and is incredibly counter productive for AS people, when it's ALREADY very difficult to combat and dispel these stigmas.

OliveOilMom wrote:
Is it because she feels that she has been roped into this unfairly as well? Because to be honest, she has. Just like every parent of every child who has been born with a problem, gotten seriously ill, been in a bad accident, or even died.

And that is the inaccurate perception we've been fighting to dispel. It's not a case of "born with a problem", it is the inadequacies of society that are the cause. The world we live in, it is, hand crafted to suit NTs, in every way shape and form. The problem is simply not the person.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 8:37 pm

Moromillas wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
That doesn't mean every parent has the same experience, nor does it paint autistic kids as burdens on parents or as little monsters who victimize their parents and force them into lifelong slavery.

Yes it absolutely does, that's exactly what people get from the article. The take away people have isn't "Oh, NTs have all this support, while AS people have none." but rather "AS people are a burden on their parents, then probably society."

OK, I'm going to try yet again to answer a long post. If this new forum eats it, I'm going to pop a blood vessel. Even though our opinions are opposite, wish me luck at last getting it through before the wormhole to WP closes ;-)

There is a third interpretation, and it's "Having a child with AS is hard. This mom has to work her butt off. Too bad there is nothing that can help her". People won't see it and wonder "Is there any specific respite care available for AS, why do services cost so much, shouldn't Autism Speaks be helping her out since they made a company all about autism?" They will just read what she goes through and feel that her life is difficult. All parents know that even though your child and his issues and needs might be a incredibly heavy load to carry, or drag if you have to, it's never a burden to the parent. While it might be felt as a burden to an aunt or uncle or sibling, a parent isn't going to feel that way about them, and no matter how much they may complain about being tired, overworked, not being able to get done what they have to, they aren't trying to make you think they are carrying a burden, they are telling you the difficulties of their lives that they shoulder because they want to do the best they can for their child.

Do you doubt that their lives are really that hard, or do you think that the information shouldn't be shared about it, or is it the issue of not wanting the parent to get any sympathy or attention for anything to do with AS, because denying the parent some emotional support in some way or other makes sure that people only pity the person with the disorder and not anyone else effected by it?

I'm not doubting that you got that feeling from the article, but that doesn't mean everybody else will nor does it mean that was the writer's intent. Is it not at all possible that the mom doesn't have the intention that you ascribe to her, and isn't it possible that others won't take the meaning to be what you took it to be?

Parents of children who have all sorts of handicaps blog or back in the day they would appear on talk shows and before that they would give interviews to women's magazines. People have always been interested in what they go through. The theme of these have always been "It's a very hard job, and many wouldn't love their child enough to do it, but when you love your child you will gladly give them your entire life."

If someone has a special needs child and they aren't able to care for them, there are agencies they can sign them away to. That's a horrible choice and probably dooms the child to neglect and minimal interventions and therapies, but if the mother is so uncaring (or young, or sick herself, or for some reason unable to understand) then she either won't care or she will know that some care, which the agency would provide is better than no care which is what she would be able to give. I wouldn't ever suggest that someone do that, but everybody knows you can hand your child off at birth if you are determined to do so, or later on in the case of things that aren't diagnosed that soon after birth. There are tons of stories of mothers giving away perfectly healthy babies, and babies with small or multiple problems, and stories of mothers getting tired of being a mom and giving them up or discovering that they are simply unable to provide even the minimum care and giving them away. Some of those mothers are under the impression that the child will be better off, others just don't really care all that much to begin with because the new has worn off. It's sad but true.

Whether or not a stranger on the internet has the impression that AS children are a burden on society now and in the future wouldn't cause someone to not hire an employee with AS because they assume the guy is a burden. The fact that they are seeking a job and have or are willing and able to learn skills is a sign that this person isn't a burden on society. Some employers just won't be willing to provide accommodations for an AS employee, depending on what they are, and others may not be logistically able to. This doesn't mean they read a blog in the past and don't want to hire a 'burden' thus keeping him unemployed and an actual drain on the system. That doesn't make sense, and whether or not you feel that NT's often make sense, most anyone in a position to hire or fire others is going to look at the financial bottom line and do what makes the most fiscal sense, and would be able to recognize that the person isn't a burden to society in and of himself, but is only one at the time because he hasn't found an employer willing or able to make accommodations.

Now, let me ask you this. The word burden is insulting, and it means the same as several other words. Do you deny that some AS kids grow up to not be able to work or contribute or do much for themselves and need others their entire life and this is technically a drain on society or social security or whatever source is providing caretakers and essentials? It happens and its nobody's fault. Some will grow up to be, to use your words, a burden on society. It's how their brains are wired, they can't change it, can't get around it or reprogram or ignore it. It's not that they are laying around collecting food stamps and welfare and living rent free in the projects and selling the pills they get for free from the doctor that is paid for by Medicaid and choosing to spend their time and money smoking weed and playing video games and maybe doing some labor for cash money under the table when they need it. Thats an actual burden on society if you want to use the word to insult. However, there will be people with AS that society has to carry and care for. Our society does that because we understand it's not right to just leave the kid with the club foot under the tree to die because he can't contribute, or anything similar to that. Our society set it up so that those who can't care for themselves will be cared for by the rest. Do you dispute this, or are you simply offended that a stranger may read this and think that your mother's life was like that and that since a lower functioning kid is probably going to be cared for by the rest of us that you probably are too?

I'd also like to ask you if you know anyone with AS or more severe autism who is in the situation where they have to live in a home and be completely cared for by others? Ever met anybody like that online or in real life? I've met a couple here and one particularly awesome and astute poster who goes by KingdomOfRats. While KoR may be supported by public money (she is in the UK I believe so I may be incorrect about their systems there), she is certainly no burden on anyone. Just because someone needs a certain kind of help doesn't in any way make them not worthwhile. Are you afraid that people will decide that this mother's suffering means that these kids aren't worth anything as human beings?

How exactly do you think these blogs and this lady might impact your life and future, or the future of others. I'm really having a tough time understanding what you are worried about happening because of it. Are you simply concerned about what people think in their own minds, or are you concerned about what actions their thoughts would lead to? Not being ugly or hounding you or anything. I promise. Everything I've asked is something I sincerely want to know.

OliveOilMom wrote:
You want to get your side out there? Start a blog. Polish up your writing skills. Start blogging every day .... you too will get picked up and talked about on Huffington.

No, no we don't have the same chances, we don't have the same vocals, that's part of the problem. If it were as simple as "make a blog" we would already have our voices heard by now. There are many Aspergians that do have blogs, very good blogs, but instead this nonsense gets picked up. By comparison, this one Mum has a megaphone, while we all have a gag.

It's another side effect of the vile stigmas. When someone holds a strange idea about you, it's nigh on impossible to shake it. That's why AS people are thoroughly ignored; NTs think there's just something wrong with them, and your words carry no weight because of the stigma itself, so you can't even rebuke to rebut the nonsense.

I have AS and used to write for a living. I had an op-ed column in a paper in Bham for quite some time. It was my weekly column to write about whatever topic struck my fancy. It was all mine, and had a head shot of me above it and a catchy little title and my name. I also did "pen for hire" opinion pieces for other folks and other publications where I basically got their thoughts across to the readers, with a disclaimer that I was commenting on an opinion. I did some guest articles in some other local papers and even got a few articles in a handful of National women's magazines, but I was never taught to write by anyone other than my 8th grade English teacher (see the explanation about the crappy, racist, private church school I went to and how our teachers weren't usually even real teachers, but this one was) That's all I ever got, and I picked up the rest by reading. You wouldn't be able to tell that I used to be able to turn a pretty decent phrase by reading most of what I write here, and this laptop is doubling letters left and right so ignore those typos, I really can spell I just can't catch all the mistakes. I don't put forth all that much effort here because it's more like conversation and I post like I speak, without the molasses thick accent but with a bit of regional slang. I just don't usually make much of an effort at it now, and I quit writing for money when I got tired of it. That was when I was at home with my young kids and it was a lifeline to the world outside of tv cartoons, playgroups and potty training, but after I had been at it so long I had pretty much proven to myself I could do it and lost interest almost completely overnight.

Now, I'm 50 years old and it wasn't until I was in my late 20's and early 30's that I could carry on a persuasive conversation without getting tongue tied and forgetting where I'm going with something, but I could put pen to paper and after a few drafts, come out with something pretty damn good. Maybe it's some weird savant like skill, like how the only time I've ever had an ounce of grace in my body was with a baton in my hand, which is also the only thing I didn't drop continually.

This laptop has started to eat my words and I'm getting frustrated now, so I'll tighten up. You might could write well. Have you ever really tried, and do you think it's something you might enjoy? If you can't, maybe you know someone who you could collaborate with, and put together a blog that shows your point of view from a sympathetic angle. It's not a given that just because somebody has AS, they can't do most things.

When I was a kid and a teenager, I couldn't do anything. I couldn't speak up for myself, I couldn't walk from the classroom to the bathroom without somehow embarrassing myself, and I damn sure couldn't ever speak in public, not even to our school on chapel days when it was required, but I've been at two press conferences and spoke to the crowd and the cameras about two different topics, and I was a guest on a local morning talk radio show about a group I started during the governor's race back in the 90's. That was very hard for me, but I did it. Much harder than the press conferences. The point is, I used to not be able to do hardly anything that I can do now, and take for granted that I can do. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be able to do it because nobody knew what AS was back then. When I was a kid, I wasn't special needs or in any way disabled. I was just weird. I'm thankful for that because if you don't know you shouldn't be able to, you have a much better chance of doing something.

In response to what you said about NT's not listening to your explanations about how you aren't all that different, that is another acquired skill. You have to learn to speak with a strong and steady voice and stand straight and hold your head up and look like you know what you are talking about. I dont know how to tell you to make yourself sound like that. Just do what I did. Practice reading things into a tape recorder or whatever you use nowdays. Play it back and when you find your sound, practice it every day. It's much harder in front of people, but work up to that. Thats why I think writing would be the best medium for this.

I guarandamntee you that if I was addressing a group of NT's with preconceived ideas about us that I would easily change them, but this didn't happen overnight. You fall off the horse a lot before it lets you ride it out of the barn, and that falling hurts and makes you scared to keep trying, but it's either that or just sit in the barn forever. The "I can't do it" attitude is something that bothers the crap out of me when I read it here. Sure, some things aren't possible for some people. But if you just give up without trying as hard as you can, over and over until you have tried so many times that you are absolutely certain that it's just not gonna happen, then you don't really know. You assume. That's when you end up making an ass out of Uma Thurmond. I didn't master everything I tried, and thats ok. I just found ways to cover those things. But giving up all of your power to some mom with a blog, because you don't think you can do anything is pretty much the definition of self defeating. Have you tried? If so, what have you done to change people's minds? How have you tried, what did you want to do that you didn't do, and what are your ideas of how to actually do it? You will also have to understand how to finesse the details and make yourself come across like someone trustworthy and capable, but that can be discussed later.

I'm wondering if you are new because I haven't seen you before. I've been here a while but just got back online after a few months vacation in real life, holiday celebrations, and Netflix.

OliveOilMom wrote:
It's honestly the literary equivalent of serving a whole, cooked lobster. It might be really great and mouthwatering, but if you don't serve it up right then nobody will take a bite to find out. With lobsters as with op-ed style pieces, presentation is everything, and it's a messy undertaking at times so be sure not to hit yourself or anybody else with the drippings.

No it's nothing like lobster. It's like middle eastern food, all of it. People look at all the strange names, and already have all these misconceptions about the food, like "their meat sits out for a long time" they don't want to even consider it, and go with something like spaghetti bolognese. Tell them that it's not bad, they're not going to believe it, they automatically think the source is untrustworthy, or doesn't understand "real food".

I said lobster because once cooked and served whole it resembles a big, red, ocean bug. The tail alone is fine, and so are the claws, but slap that sucker on a plate with those boiled buggy eyes and the feelers and that weird green thing inside the stomach of the strangely roachlike body and there goes your appetite. I order a couple extra baked potatoes and put one over the head, cut the other two in half and make a tent out of them and lettuce and all I can see is claws and tail. My husband always suggests that I get them to cut it up and take away the gross part, but I'm no p**** and I've seen six and seven year old kids eating on those and I'm not gonna let a kid do what I cant.

I've never had middle eastern food really. I've had some American versions of tabouli, hummus and falafel but Bham didn't used to have any middle eastern restaurants when we lived there before moving to the middle of absolutely no freaking where back in 01, and in this small country town we have a Korean family that owns the Chinese restaurant (8 dishes and the rest is regular fried food) and a handful of Mexicans who also happen to own the Mexican restaurant but they put too much cilantro in stuff and that tastes like soap.

I did once have a good Indian friend (from India, not American Indian)who invited me to his cousin's baby shower and he brought me a plate of traditional Indian food his mother had cooked. It smelled so good I just knew I was about to taste heaven, but that's when I found out that Indians apparently have some extremely hot peppers that you can't smell like you do jalapenos or banana peppers. I had a bite and then couldn't eat anything else all day. Couldn't even drink a Mtn Dew because it hurt. Milk, which I loathe and water.

This is the second time you have mentioned pasta to me. Are you Italian? I'm half Sicilian. My Dads family was from there. Mother was a ScottsIrish/Cherokee mix with a little Roma thrown in via her mother's people from South Carolina.

Buzz201 wrote:
Also, perhaps it's the "screaming" that's the issue. ...politely and eloquently...

It is a metaphor.

OliveOilMom wrote:
However, if someone is completely unable to interpret what another person means and cant make themselves ask, or cannot bring themselves to carry on a conversation with someone of the opposite sex who they are attracted to, whether thats because they are too shy and afraid of rejection or because they get tongue tied and confused in their own minds, then it's not society that has added these burdens to lives, it's either the autism that's added them by preventing communication in any effective way, or it's the complete lack of mind reading in human adults, which you can't really blame on anything.

The communication breakdown you're talking about, it is because of a two way cause, and it's very easy to see it as "the other person has the problem". It's very easy for me to think when it happens, that they (NTs) don't have the capacity to understand, when they might very well have the capacity.

Then there's the perception of AS people that NTs have, which is another problem entirely. I can tell you right now that the ostracism doesn't come about because of "shyness".

No, it doesn't come about from shyness, and shyness makes it extremely hard to develop and display a better personality too, but it's possible. Remember, when you try talking to other people, the only one you can hurt is yourself, and it won't be quite as bad if you are ready for it and it'll be a glorious moment for you if you manage to take even a first step or two. I don't know about your personality, but mine used to basically nonexistent and what I did have was just annoying, whiny and childish. It takes work. Nothing is easy but it is worth it.[b][u]

OliveOilMom wrote:
Her opinion on it.

In a nutshell this is the crux of it, she's espousing opinions that are being taken as facts. And the take away that people get from it, are handfuls of stigmas and misconceptions that then become heavily ingrained, and it becomes very problematic for us. It makes it harder for us to survive, and is incredibly counter productive for AS people, when it's ALREADY very difficult to combat and dispel these stigmas.

[b][u]Then I'd suggest you make a plan to learn to present yourself as the antithesis to those misconceptions. Represent yourself out there in the world as "Not that guy". Do you want to lay down and let them define you? You don't have to chase them all over and counter everything they say publicly with your argument. You only have to decide who you want to be, learn to be and come across as that guy, and then wherever you go, you are there representing yourself as you want to be. If a lot of people think that lady's kid is a burden on her and on society, then what they think doesn't make a rat's ass of difference to me because it doesn't effect me or my life at all. What I'm concerned about is what people whose opinion I care about think of me. I don't care what everybody in the world thinks, only those people whose opinion I value and who I consider to be worth the effort to impress. I'd very much suggest that you start there for yourself too, and then later on once you gain confidence, work on changing the overall opinions of us. I do think though, that it's really up to each of us to stand up for ourselves and our image, and while we should support each other and stand up for those who can't, we can only change opinions if we ourselves actually merit the change.

OliveOilMom wrote:
Is it because she feels that she has been roped into this unfairly as well? Because to be honest, she has. Just like every parent of every child who has been born with a problem, gotten seriously ill, been in a bad accident, or even died.

And that is the inaccurate perception we've been fighting to dispel. It's not a case of "born with a problem", it is the inadequacies of society that are the cause. The world we live in, it is, hand crafted to suit NTs, in every way shape and form. The problem is simply not the person.

My AS was certainly a huge problem for me when I was young, even though I didn't know it was there. I had a problem understanding the accepted standards of speech and behavior and functioning in even simple group situations. That wasn't other people's fault, and while it wasn't my fault it was my problem to learn to deal with however I could find to do so. Society can't change to fit and accommodate and facilitate everyone's differences simply because they have AS. Individuals accommodate, change, make compromises, explain things, etc, but society as a whole doesn't change to cater to us, we learn to fit into it. People without AS or other disabilities often have troubles as well, but society doesn't change itself to fit their needs either. If I had a blind friend or family member, I would of course make the changes in my home so he could function there with ease, and I would ask him what I needed to know about his needs and how exactly he wanted me to help him. I would do the same for a friend in a wheelchair, deaf, on crutches, Auburn fan, whatever. That would be my choice to do those things and there would also be equal access in public buildings and such, but I wouldn't ever expect every private business owner, let alone every member of society to make those same accommodations and learn sign language, braile, etc, simply because there are people in the world who need it.

Since you seem to think society should change for you, what specific changes would you propose? Also, what are you willing to change about yourself to fit into society?

God, I hope this sends without eating it all up. Fingers crossed now!

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:05 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

OK, I'm going to try yet again to answer a long post. If this new forum eats it, I'm going to pop a blood vessel. Even though our opinions are opposite, wish me luck at last getting it through before the wormhole to WP closes ;-)

There is a third interpretation, and it's "Having a child with AS is hard. This mom has to work her butt off. Too bad there is nothing that can help her". People won't see it and wonder "Is there any specific respite care available for AS, why do services cost so much, shouldn't Autism Speaks be helping her out since they made a company all about autism?" They will just read what she goes through and feel that her life is difficult. All parents know that even though your child and his issues and needs might be a incredibly heavy load to carry, or drag if you have to, it's never a burden to the parent. While it might be felt as a burden to an aunt or uncle or sibling, a parent isn't going to feel that way about them, and no matter how much they may complain about being tired, overworked, not being able to get done what they have to, they aren't trying to make you think they are carrying a burden, they are telling you the difficulties of their lives that they shoulder because they want to do the best they can for their child.

Do you doubt that their lives are really that hard, or do you think that the information shouldn't be shared about it, or is it the issue of not wanting the parent to get any sympathy or attention for anything to do with AS, because denying the parent some emotional support in some way or other makes sure that people only pity the person with the disorder and not anyone else effected by it?

I'm not doubting that you got that feeling from the article, but that doesn't mean everybody else will nor does it mean that was the writer's intent. Is it not at all possible that the mom doesn't have the intention that you ascribe to her, and isn't it possible that others won't take the meaning to be what you took it to be?

Parents of children who have all sorts of handicaps blog or back in the day they would appear on talk shows and before that they would give interviews to women's magazines. People have always been interested in what they go through. The theme of these have always been "It's a very hard job, and many wouldn't love their child enough to do it, but when you love your child you will gladly give them your entire life."

If someone has a special needs child and they aren't able to care for them, there are agencies they can sign them away to. That's a horrible choice and probably dooms the child to neglect and minimal interventions and therapies, but if the mother is so uncaring (or young, or sick herself, or for some reason unable to understand) then she either won't care or she will know that some care, which the agency would provide is better than no care which is what she would be able to give. I wouldn't ever suggest that someone do that, but everybody knows you can hand your child off at birth if you are determined to do so, or later on in the case of things that aren't diagnosed that soon after birth. There are tons of stories of mothers giving away perfectly healthy babies, and babies with small or multiple problems, and stories of mothers getting tired of being a mom and giving them up or discovering that they are simply unable to provide even the minimum care and giving them away. Some of those mothers are under the impression that the child will be better off, others just don't really care all that much to begin with because the new has worn off. It's sad but true.

Whether or not a stranger on the internet has the impression that AS children are a burden on society now and in the future wouldn't cause someone to not hire an employee with AS because they assume the guy is a burden. The fact that they are seeking a job and have or are willing and able to learn skills is a sign that this person isn't a burden on society. Some employers just won't be willing to provide accommodations for an AS employee, depending on what they are, and others may not be logistically able to. This doesn't mean they read a blog in the past and don't want to hire a 'burden' thus keeping him unemployed and an actual drain on the system. That doesn't make sense, and whether or not you feel that NT's often make sense, most anyone in a position to hire or fire others is going to look at the financial bottom line and do what makes the most fiscal sense, and would be able to recognize that the person isn't a burden to society in and of himself, but is only one at the time because he hasn't found an employer willing or able to make accommodations.

Now, let me ask you this. The word burden is insulting, and it means the same as several other words. Do you deny that some AS kids grow up to not be able to work or contribute or do much for themselves and need others their entire life and this is technically a drain on society or social security or whatever source is providing caretakers and essentials? It happens and its nobody's fault. Some will grow up to be, to use your words, a burden on society. It's how their brains are wired, they can't change it, can't get around it or reprogram or ignore it. It's not that they are laying around collecting food stamps and welfare and living rent free in the projects and selling the pills they get for free from the doctor that is paid for by Medicaid and choosing to spend their time and money smoking weed and playing video games and maybe doing some labor for cash money under the table when they need it. Thats an actual burden on society if you want to use the word to insult. However, there will be people with AS that society has to carry and care for. Our society does that because we understand it's not right to just leave the kid with the club foot under the tree to die because he can't contribute, or anything similar to that. Our society set it up so that those who can't care for themselves will be cared for by the rest. Do you dispute this, or are you simply offended that a stranger may read this and think that your mother's life was like that and that since a lower functioning kid is probably going to be cared for by the rest of us that you probably are too?

I'd also like to ask you if you know anyone with AS or more severe autism who is in the situation where they have to live in a home and be completely cared for by others? Ever met anybody like that online or in real life? I've met a couple here and one particularly awesome and astute poster who goes by KingdomOfRats. While KoR may be supported by public money (she is in the UK I believe so I may be incorrect about their systems there), she is certainly no burden on anyone. Just because someone needs a certain kind of help doesn't in any way make them not worthwhile. Are you afraid that people will decide that this mother's suffering means that these kids aren't worth anything as human beings?

How exactly do you think these blogs and this lady might impact your life and future, or the future of others. I'm really having a tough time understanding what you are worried about happening because of it. Are you simply concerned about what people think in their own minds, or are you concerned about what actions their thoughts would lead to? Not being ugly or hounding you or anything. I promise. Everything I've asked is something I sincerely want to know.

OliveOilMom wrote:

I have AS and used to write for a living. I had an op-ed column in a paper in Bham for quite some time. It was my weekly column to write about whatever topic struck my fancy. It was all mine, and had a head shot of me above it and a catchy little title and my name. I also did "pen for hire" opinion pieces for other folks and other publications where I basically got their thoughts across to the readers, with a disclaimer that I was commenting on an opinion. I did some guest articles in some other local papers and even got a few articles in a handful of National women's magazines, but I was never taught to write by anyone other than my 8th grade English teacher (see the explanation about the crappy, racist, private church school I went to and how our teachers weren't usually even real teachers, but this one was) That's all I ever got, and I picked up the rest by reading. You wouldn't be able to tell that I used to be able to turn a pretty decent phrase by reading most of what I write here, and this laptop is doubling letters left and right so ignore those typos, I really can spell I just can't catch all the mistakes. I don't put forth all that much effort here because it's more like conversation and I post like I speak, without the molasses thick accent but with a bit of regional slang. I just don't usually make much of an effort at it now, and I quit writing for money when I got tired of it. That was when I was at home with my young kids and it was a lifeline to the world outside of tv cartoons, playgroups and potty training, but after I had been at it so long I had pretty much proven to myself I could do it and lost interest almost completely overnight.

Now, I'm 50 years old and it wasn't until I was in my late 20's and early 30's that I could carry on a persuasive conversation without getting tongue tied and forgetting where I'm going with something, but I could put pen to paper and after a few drafts, come out with something pretty damn good. Maybe it's some weird savant like skill, like how the only time I've ever had an ounce of grace in my body was with a baton in my hand, which is also the only thing I didn't drop continually.

This laptop has started to eat my words and I'm getting frustrated now, so I'll tighten up. You might could write well. Have you ever really tried, and do you think it's something you might enjoy? If you can't, maybe you know someone who you could collaborate with, and put together a blog that shows your point of view from a sympathetic angle. It's not a given that just because somebody has AS, they can't do most things.

When I was a kid and a teenager, I couldn't do anything. I couldn't speak up for myself, I couldn't walk from the classroom to the bathroom without somehow embarrassing myself, and I damn sure couldn't ever speak in public, not even to our school on chapel days when it was required, but I've been at two press conferences and spoke to the crowd and the cameras about two different topics, and I was a guest on a local morning talk radio show about a group I started during the governor's race back in the 90's. That was very hard for me, but I did it. Much harder than the press conferences. The point is, I used to not be able to do hardly anything that I can do now, and take for granted that I can do. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be able to do it because nobody knew what AS was back then. When I was a kid, I wasn't special needs or in any way disabled. I was just weird. I'm thankful for that because if you don't know you shouldn't be able to, you have a much better chance of doing something.

In response to what you said about NT's not listening to your explanations about how you aren't all that different, that is another acquired skill. You have to learn to speak with a strong and steady voice and stand straight and hold your head up and look like you know what you are talking about. I dont know how to tell you to make yourself sound like that. Just do what I did. Practice reading things into a tape recorder or whatever you use nowdays. Play it back and when you find your sound, practice it every day. It's much harder in front of people, but work up to that. Thats why I think writing would be the best medium for this.

I guarandamntee you that if I was addressing a group of NT's with preconceived ideas about us that I would easily change them, but this didn't happen overnight. You fall off the horse a lot before it lets you ride it out of the barn, and that falling hurts and makes you scared to keep trying, but it's either that or just sit in the barn forever. The "I can't do it" attitude is something that bothers the crap out of me when I read it here. Sure, some things aren't possible for some people. But if you just give up without trying as hard as you can, over and over until you have tried so many times that you are absolutely certain that it's just not gonna happen, then you don't really know. You assume. That's when you end up making an ass out of Uma Thurmond. I didn't master everything I tried, and thats ok. I just found ways to cover those things. But giving up all of your power to some mom with a blog, because you don't think you can do anything is pretty much the definition of self defeating. Have you tried? If so, what have you done to change people's minds? How have you tried, what did you want to do that you didn't do, and what are your ideas of how to actually do it? You will also have to understand how to finesse the details and make yourself come across like someone trustworthy and capable, but that can be discussed later.

I'm wondering if you are new because I haven't seen you before. I've been here a while but just got back online after a few months vacation in real life, holiday celebrations, and Netflix.

OliveOilMom wrote:

I said lobster because once cooked and served whole it resembles a big, red, ocean bug. The tail alone is fine, and so are the claws, but slap that sucker on a plate with those boiled buggy eyes and the feelers and that weird green thing inside the stomach of the strangely roachlike body and there goes your appetite. I order a couple extra baked potatoes and put one over the head, cut the other two in half and make a tent out of them and lettuce and all I can see is claws and tail. My husband always suggests that I get them to cut it up and take away the gross part, but I'm no p**** and I've seen six and seven year old kids eating on those and I'm not gonna let a kid do what I cant.

I've never had middle eastern food really. I've had some American versions of tabouli, hummus and falafel but Bham didn't used to have any middle eastern restaurants when we lived there before moving to the middle of absolutely no freaking where back in 01, and in this small country town we have a Korean family that owns the Chinese restaurant (8 dishes and the rest is regular fried food) and a handful of Mexicans who also happen to own the Mexican restaurant but they put too much cilantro in stuff and that tastes like soap.

I did once have a good Indian friend (from India, not American Indian)who invited me to his cousin's baby shower and he brought me a plate of traditional Indian food his mother had cooked. It smelled so good I just knew I was about to taste heaven, but that's when I found out that Indians apparently have some extremely hot peppers that you can't smell like you do jalapenos or banana peppers. I had a bite and then couldn't eat anything else all day. Couldn't even drink a Mtn Dew because it hurt. Milk, which I loathe and water.

This is the second time you have mentioned pasta to me. Are you Italian? I'm half Sicilian. My Dads family was from there. Mother was a ScottsIrish/Cherokee mix with a little Roma thrown in via her mother's people from South Carolina.

Buzz201 wrote:

It is a metaphor.

OliveOilMom wrote:

No, it doesn't come about from shyness, and shyness makes it extremely hard to develop and display a better personality too, but it's possible. Remember, when you try talking to other people, the only one you can hurt is yourself, and it won't be quite as bad if you are ready for it and it'll be a glorious moment for you if you manage to take even a first step or two. I don't know about your personality, but mine used to basically nonexistent and what I did have was just annoying, whiny and childish. It takes work. Nothing is easy but it is worth it.[b][u]

OliveOilMom wrote:
Her opinion on it.

[b][u]Then I'd suggest you make a plan to learn to present yourself as the antithesis to those misconceptions. Represent yourself out there in the world as "Not that guy". Do you want to lay down and let them define you? You don't have to chase them all over and counter everything they say publicly with your argument. You only have to decide who you want to be, learn to be and come across as that guy, and then wherever you go, you are there representing yourself as you want to be. If a lot of people think that lady's kid is a burden on her and on society, then what they think doesn't make a rat's ass of difference to me because it doesn't effect me or my life at all. What I'm concerned about is what people whose opinion I care about think of me. I don't care what everybody in the world thinks, only those people whose opinion I value and who I consider to be worth the effort to impress. I'd very much suggest that you start there for yourself too, and then later on once you gain confidence, work on changing the overall opinions of us. I do think though, that it's really up to each of us to stand up for ourselves and our image, and while we should support each other and stand up for those who can't, we can only change opinions if we ourselves actually merit the change.

OliveOilMom wrote:

My AS was certainly a huge problem for me when I was young, even though I didn't know it was there. I had a problem understanding the accepted standards of speech and behavior and functioning in even simple group situations. That wasn't other people's fault, and while it wasn't my fault it was my problem to learn to deal with however I could find to do so. Society can't change to fit and accommodate and facilitate everyone's differences simply because they have AS. Individuals accommodate, change, make compromises, explain things, etc, but society as a whole doesn't change to cater to us, we learn to fit into it. People without AS or other disabilities often have troubles as well, but society doesn't change itself to fit their needs either. If I had a blind friend or family member, I would of course make the changes in my home so he could function there with ease, and I would ask him what I needed to know about his needs and how exactly he wanted me to help him. I would do the same for a friend in a wheelchair, deaf, on crutches, Auburn fan, whatever. That would be my choice to do those things and there would also be equal access in public buildings and such, but I wouldn't ever expect every private business owner, let alone every member of society to make those same accommodations and learn sign language, braile, etc, simply because there are people in the world who need it.

Since you seem to think society should change for you, what specific changes would you propose? Also, what are you willing to change about yourself to fit into society?

God, I hope this sends without eating it all up. Fingers crossed now!

I think you just won the award for most incomprehensible string of quotes! :lol:

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm

That is the most impressive use of the quote feature I've ever seen!

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:12 pm

From what I can gather from what you are talking about, I agree with you OOM. It always alarms me a little that so few people here understand that a kid's Autism happens to their parents also. They have a right to their feelings about how their lives are being affected. I understand why some of them want cures. Then you see some like Ezra's parents who seem to be really cool parents raising a cool kid, but not all parents can be that way. It's sad all around, but I get it.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

I agree with everything OOM wrote.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:38 pm

Okay, bluntly, my concern is that people will be more inclined to abort babies with autism (the technology to identify the gene will be available within the next decade, I'm sure.)
They will read blogposts like this and they will remember. And when a woman a few years down the road finds out she is pregnant with an autistic baby, she wont want to have it.
I don't deny that any parents job is hard. My concern with this post is the objectification of her son, as if he is not a person, but rather the thing keeping her from having the life she wants.