Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheWadeSmellbringer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2014, 6:36 pm

So I noticed a trend on Youtube in which the only videos on Autism are about mothers with Autism or how they cured their child's Autism. No one really talks about their own life with Autism on Youtube. So I decided to make my own V-Log series about life with Autism. You can check out the first video here:

Yes I know it's shameless advertising and I'm sorry, I just didn't know where to put it.

My Youtube Channel

My V-Log Channel

[url=thewadesmellbringer.tumblr.com]My Tumblr Blog[/url]

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 12:08 am

I'll have to check it out. The more self-advocates blogging/vlogging/tweeting, the better. Great way to start the new year. Here's to hoping 2015 brings great things for the autistic community. :sunny:

TheWadeSmellbringer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2015, 4:33 am

PlainsAspie wrote:
I'll have to check it out. The more self-advocates blogging/vlogging/tweeting, the better.

Ya think? What I've noticed is that youtube only promotes these "Look at how my child recovered from Autism, I'm a hero" moms. Which disgusts me to no end. But next video will be up Tuesday. :D

My Youtube Channel

My V-Log Channel

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2015, 8:02 am

TheWadeSmellbringer wrote:
So I noticed a trend on Youtube in which the only videos on Autism are about mothers with Autism or how they cured their child's Autism. No one really talks about their own life with Autism on Youtube. So I decided to make my own V-Log series about life with Autism. You can check out the first video here:

I also make videos on youtube, most of them about Asperger's. I suppose that would make you and I brothers [spoiler]even though I only liked Halo for the co-op[/spoiler]

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 1:48 pm

I think that YouTube needs to get themselves out of the Holocaust and get with the times.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2015, 3:21 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that YouTube needs to get themselves out of the Holocaust and get with the times.

Not sure what you meant by this, if this is sarcasm or something else?

Youtube actually eclipses mainstream media, both in the amount of viewers, and how much more trust people have in youtubers ethics and honesty. For example, TYT > fox + CNN, Total Biscuit > Polygon + Kotaku.

TheWadeSmellbringer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2015, 4:52 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

That's overly negative dude. Youtube can't control whether or not people want to see mothers talk about how hard and inspirational it is to have Autistic children. I blame the general population.

My Youtube Channel

My V-Log Channel

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2015, 6:01 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

That's overly negative dude. Youtube can't control whether or not people want to see mothers talk about how hard and inspirational it is to have Autistic children. I blame the general population.

Are you sure that's what he meant?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 8:19 am

I've wanted for years to film some cooking videos for other autistic folks who want to learn how to cook but regular recipes and videos skip a lot of info you want to know. I want to film me from start to finish making a particular dish. Measuring the ingredients and setting them out, getting the pans ready, mixing, etc. I wouldn't cut away during anything I would be present at while I was cooking, like most videos do. I'd film the whole five solid minutes of me kneading bread, or the entire time I'm standing over the pan of frying chicken with tongs, and I'd have the camera on the food the whole time so people can see what it's supposed to do, and I'd talk about what to do if it does this or that instead, how to save the recipe, etc. I'd so simple things and complicated things. Basically I'd like to eventually do recipes by request.

I'd also like to do a life skills series where i show in great detail and lots of instructions how to do regular household tasks and chores that most people think you should just automatically know how to do. It's not just spectrum folks who need these kinds of videos either. My oldest daughter has friends her age and a few years older who have gotten married or just moved out from home and in with the boyfriend, and several of those girls never had their mother teach them anything about how to keep a home or cook or any of the basic stuff you need. I make sure my girls know all of it, and my boys know it too, but my girls are really the ones who help me here, and some of those older girls have got in touch with me to ask me what they consider to be a stupid question that they don't want to ask their mother, and it's usually something really simple and I'm happy to explain it to them. I didnt know things when i moved out, so I totally get it.

I'd like to one day maybe have a whole life skills video library that spectrum folks (or anybody else, but this is my target audience) could go through to find the video about something they want to learn to do but can't find real instruction.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2015, 9:00 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
I've wanted for years to film some cooking videos for other autistic folks who want to learn how to cook but regular recipes and videos skip a lot of info you want to know. I want to film me from start to finish making a particular dish. Measuring the ingredients and setting them out, getting the pans ready, mixing, etc. I wouldn't cut away during anything I would be present at while I was cooking, like most videos do. I'd film the whole five solid minutes of me kneading bread, or the entire time I'm standing over the pan of frying chicken with tongs, and I'd have the camera on the food the whole time so people can see what it's supposed to do, and I'd talk about what to do if it does this or that instead, how to save the recipe, etc. I'd so simple things and complicated things. Basically I'd like to eventually do recipes by request.

I'd also like to do a life skills series where i show in great detail and lots of instructions how to do regular household tasks and chores that most people think you should just automatically know how to do. It's not just spectrum folks who need these kinds of videos either. My oldest daughter has friends her age and a few years older who have gotten married or just moved out from home and in with the boyfriend, and several of those girls never had their mother teach them anything about how to keep a home or cook or any of the basic stuff you need. I make sure my girls know all of it, and my boys know it too, but my girls are really the ones who help me here, and some of those older girls have got in touch with me to ask me what they consider to be a stupid question that they don't want to ask their mother, and it's usually something really simple and I'm happy to explain it to them. I didnt know things when i moved out, so I totally get it.

I'd like to one day maybe have a whole life skills video library that spectrum folks (or anybody else, but this is my target audience) could go through to find the video about something they want to learn to do but can't find real instruction.

This is something I might, be interested in. Not for the "life skills" part, but because you said camera in food.

I must say though, when I moved out, a long time ago, people were asking me: "How are you going with meals?" I wasn't sure why there were asking that. Turns out they were concerned that I wasn't eating properly and didn't know how to cook. When in reality, the people asking me, didn't know how to dice an onion, or quarter a chicken. It still bothers me that they would think that, as if AS somehow causes stupidity so you can't make a meal.

One video I've always wanted to make, is showing people how to make mayonnaise, I know the secret of foolproof mayo, bowl and whisk, works every time. The secret involves understanding the emulsification process. You see tons of videos on it, and they're all the same, do this, do that, chuck it in the bowl whisk and hope for the best, yet they don't explain what's going on. They say "Ok, then you do this", and you're left asking why. Same with pretty much all recipes, they tell you what to do, but not why and how it all works, so you have to dig deeper.

It's also a precursor to an even more magical sauce, hollandaise.

That's just tragic. When I have a family, I'm going to make sure they all know how to make real pasta by hand.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 3:19 pm

Moromillas wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

This is something I might, be interested in. Not for the "life skills" part, but because you said camera in food.

I must say though, when I moved out, a long time ago, people were asking me: "How are you going with meals?" I wasn't sure why there were asking that. Turns out they were concerned that I wasn't eating properly and didn't know how to cook. When in reality, the people asking me, didn't know how to dice an onion, or quarter a chicken. It still bothers me that they would think that, as if AS somehow causes stupidity so you can't make a meal.

One video I've always wanted to make, is showing people how to make mayonnaise, I know the secret of foolproof mayo, bowl and whisk, works every time. The secret involves understanding the emulsification process. You see tons of videos on it, and they're all the same, do this, do that, chuck it in the bowl whisk and hope for the best, yet they don't explain what's going on. They say "Ok, then you do this", and you're left asking why. Same with pretty much all recipes, they tell you what to do, but not why and how it all works, so you have to dig deeper.

It's also a precursor to an even more magical sauce, hollandaise.

That's just tragic. When I have a family, I'm going to make sure they all know how to make real pasta by hand.

Ah, you should talk to my daughter about those. She's in her second year of culinary school and they learned those a while back. I tried her mayo and it was good, but being from the Deep South, we are used to a different texture and flavor than what real mayo is like. It's much thicker and tangier, but not like Miracle Whip. I have to have my Bama brand mayo or I'll do without the sandwich ;-)

For a while she was into souffle's and that was one of the best weeks of my life. We had all different kinds, if it sounded good and was possible, she did it. Oh God, I had no idea you could so, so many things with chocolate cloud. She is going back to school when she graduates to get an advanced degree in pastry arts because as much as she enjoys general cooking, she loves baking an candy making. She wants to do cakes and pastries and all sorts of delicious confections. Of course by the time she's in pastry school I'll just give up and instead of eating it I'll just apply the stuff directly to my thighs.

I'm more of a just throw it together cook. I very rarely use a recipe or measure. There are a few things that I have to measure and when I give recipes I'll try to estimate the amounts, but usually I just put in this and that and the other and just go on with it. Unfortunately that means when I'm trying something new, if it works out great then I only have about a 50 50 shot at recreating it. I've tried for four years to make another pot of the best vegetable soup I ever had, but I can't get it exactly right. It's good, but it's not amazing like that was.

I'm very grateful for her eagerness to cook though. She handles dinner several nights a week and is always trying new things. Also, on holidays and get together's we split the work so it's only half the time. She has a huge book of sauces if you are interested in a good recipe for something. I'll get her to find you some good stuff if you want. She had to learn the hows and why's and kitchen science and even kitchen math, so she tries to tell us about how things work but I never really remember it for very long.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2015, 3:05 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Ah, you should talk to my daughter about those. She's in her second year of culinary school and they learned those a while back. I tried her mayo and it was good, but being from the Deep South, we are used to a different texture and flavor than what real mayo is like. It's much thicker and tangier, but not like Miracle Whip. I have to have my Bama brand mayo or I'll do without the sandwich ;-)

It was probably mayo in its basic form, without all the fluff and frills. But the beauty of knowing how it works, is that you can use whatever you like, to make it taste how you want. For example, the best combination of tang I've found is a contrast of dijon, lemon, and wwv or acv.

OliveOilMom wrote:
I'm more of a just throw it together cook. I very rarely use a recipe or measure. There are a few things that I have to measure and when I give recipes I'll try to estimate the amounts, but usually I just put in this and that and the other and just go on with it. Unfortunately that means when I'm trying something new, if it works out great then I only have about a 50 50 shot at recreating it. I've tried for four years to make another pot of the best vegetable soup I ever had, but I can't get it exactly right. It's good, but it's not amazing like that was.

I know exactly what you mean. A long time ago I made a carbonara, right, and the sauce was creamier than you could imagine, yet, it was eggs only. I've been chasing that for years now.

OliveOilMom wrote:
I'm very grateful for her eagerness to cook though. She handles dinner several nights a week and is always trying new things. Also, on holidays and get together's we split the work so it's only half the time. She has a huge book of sauces if you are interested in a good recipe for something. I'll get her to find you some good stuff if you want. She had to learn the hows and why's and kitchen science and even kitchen math, so she tries to tell us about how things work but I never really remember it for very long.

I did want to do belgian pralines, over the holidays. I've only vague ideas on how to temper chocolate properly. But, it's too painful for me to do much at the moment, I have to sort out medical problems first I think.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 3:18 pm

Moromillas wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

It was probably mayo in its basic form, without all the fluff and frills. But the beauty of knowing how it works, is that you can use whatever you like, to make it taste how you want. For example, the best combination of tang I've found is a contrast of dijon, lemon, and wwv or acv.

OliveOilMom wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. A long time ago I made a carbonara, right, and the sauce was creamier than you could imagine, yet, it was eggs only. I've been chasing that for years now.

OliveOilMom wrote:

I did want to do belgian pralines, over the holidays. I've only vague ideas on how to temper chocolate properly. But, it's too painful for me to do much at the moment, I have to sort out medical problems first I think.

I had no idea what tempered chocolate was until my daughter started making candy. She made some the other day and all she did for it was something with a bowl over a pan of water like a double boiler and a candy thermometer. She said temper two thirds of it to the highest temp and then when it gets there remove from heat and remove from the heat and add the other third to bring it down and when its at the lowest temp remove any leftover chunks and dont try to melt them. She's standing here right now while i'm typing and I asked her, and thats what she said. I have no idea. If you want me to ask her something for you, I can. She said to ask you if you make tiramasu and said to tell you if it's
delicious. She's going to be in food mode for the rest of the day because we are going to be starting cooking for Little Christmas this evening and she's excited. We are having a big dinner and several desserts.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2015, 3:38 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I had no idea what tempered chocolate was until my daughter started making candy. She made some the other day and all she did for it was something with a bowl over a pan of water like a double boiler and a candy thermometer.

She said temper two thirds of it to the highest temp and then when it gets there remove from heat and remove from the heat and add the other third to bring it down and when its at the lowest temp remove any leftover chunks and dont try to melt them. She's standing here right now while i'm typing and I asked her, and thats what she said. I have no idea. If you want me to ask her something for you, I can.

She said to ask you if you make tiramasu and said to tell you if it's delicious. She's going to be in food mode for the rest of the day because we are going to be starting cooking for Little Christmas this evening and she's excited. We are having a big dinner and several desserts.

Yeah, that's the plan I've come up with so far, double boil and milk thermometer.

From the sound of things, it sounds like you have to get the chocolate up to a certain temp, in order to break down components within the chocolate that interfere with tempering process?

Like getting eggs up to a certain temp, in order to break down the amylase.

Is that what's going on with the high heat?

Why does the chocolate need to come down in heat quickly?

Tiramasu was my next choice for holiday, maybe I should have gone with that instead.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 6:13 pm

Moromillas wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

I've run into this myself, though mostly from my grandmother. The vast majority of it was when I first lived on my own (almost 10 years ago now, though I still rarely get it).
The irony is I'm actually a better cook than most of my family, I just don't have the money to keep making elaborate meals :lol:
I used to do some cooking segments, though it was few and far in between. I don't have the time to do them now, too many other projects and such going on.

@TheWadeSmellBringer:
I subbed. Good video.

TheWadeSmellbringer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2015, 11:40 pm

Moromillas wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Are you sure that's what he meant?

Pretty sure, either that or he's using hyperbole. Point is comparing Autistic people not being represented well on Youtube to the holocaust is a bit extreme.

My Youtube Channel

My V-Log Channel