Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 12:29 pm

Raptor wrote:
/\ To some, anything right of wherever they are on the left is facist.

As for fascism in Europe, if it exists there it's only because the current socio-political climate is right for it.

I wouldnt get too cocky. America is also on a slippery slope towards the same circumstances.

Europe is only different because we have a historical precedence of fascism.

My deviant art profile

Rollo
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2015, 4:23 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm a great fan of America and the Allies:

But I believe the rise of Hitlerism was pretty directly caused by the Reparations forced upon the Central Powers (Germany, Austria, and others) by the Allies via the Versailles Treaty.

Hyperinflation in Germany was one of the paramount causes of the rise of the Nazis.

Happy New Year, Kraftie!

I have to disagree--the Germans already had all the elements of Nazi racial theory well developed before the first world war, so reparations cannot be the primary cause. Reparations and hyperinflation helped destabilize the elements in German society that might have controlled the extreme right, but the core of that thought was home grown from deep roots.

That bit in bold is the important part. Extreme politics always does better in hard times. People wouldn't be so angry and looking for scapegoats if they were busy making and spending money.

The current anti-immigration movement in the US is largely fueled by bad economics. Nobody gave a damn about those issues when the economy was booming.

Stop EU austerity and you'll take the wind out of fascism's sails.

I keep hearing this observation as if it is supposed to be some sort of critique of fascism. But to me the fact that the liberal-democracies keep experiencing these economic crises, and that the liberal democratic propaganda machine (which lectures the masses from birth about the "dangers of fascism") still can't prevent people from periodically supporting so-called "fascist" parties, seems to be more of an embarrassment for liberal democracy.

If the EU elites could simply improve Europe's economy without abandoning their main objective (the dissolution of Europe's national identities and the miscegenation of their populations) no doubt they would, at least to keep the masses quiet.

As for "extreme politics" - it's really quite amazing how liberal democratic governments can start any number of pointless, destructive wars against foreign countries, but to the average person it's only the people who merely want to keep foreigners out of their country who deserve the label "extreme".

Last edited by Rollo on 22 Jan 2015, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rollo
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2015, 4:24 pm

Dillogic wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
I have no ill will towards the majority of Muslims, but when they are calling for what is taught in the Koran and oppressing women and minorities, then there is a major issue.

A portion of Muslims fail to understand the separation of church and state.
If they want Sharia, there's plenty of countries that have it.

Yes, there are plenty of countries that have Sharia, but Islam is expansionist, so those Muslims who move to non-Muslim lands and say they want Sharia law are not being as irrational as you seem to imply. Really, it is Westerners who act surprised at the sight of Muslims doing what their religion tells them who are being irrational - what caused them to become so confused is another matter.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
In many Europe countries, fascist political partys is growing very fast.

Why is that? Good or bad? Will this happen in USA and Canada also?

Is being a facist really the same thing as being a nazi racist?

In my country, Sweden, Sverigedemokraterna got 12,9 % of the votes in 2014 election. New statistics researchers are showing that if a election was held today, they would get 18 %.

The lefts and liberals are all over the facists in Europe, attacking them with words and telling them how bad they are etc.

Yeah. It is happening in the USA. :( But lots of people do not know that.....

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 12:15 am

thomas81 wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
Leftists are not the only ones characterized by anti-Semitic attitudes. Nazis and Muslims are, to varying degrees, also sharing the same sentiment, but the left is arguably the largest anti-Semitic faction in Greece.
I would like to see this accusation qualified with a source.

Recent polls confirm it.

Rollo
Raven
Raven

23 Jan 2015, 3:44 pm

Humanaut wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
Leftists are not the only ones characterized by anti-Semitic attitudes. Nazis and Muslims are, to varying degrees, also sharing the same sentiment, but the left is arguably the largest anti-Semitic faction in Greece.

Recent polls confirm it.

It seems to me that the main reason you are making this assertion that "antisemitism" in Europe and/or Greece is mainly a "leftist" phenomenon is that you are a hardcore Zionist who has found that you don't get as much sympathy for Israel from white/European "leftists" as you do from white/European "rightists".

In addition, by making this assertion you are telling white/European rightists "hey, it's ok for you to oppose Muslim influence in your societies, but make sure you don't start opposing Jewish influence - you wouldn't want to be like those 'leftists', would you?" Of course, this will quite likely work on some people, since some people will form their opinions depending on whether they're told that those opinions belong in the "right wing" or the "left wing" box.

As for "anti-Semitism", it is (as many "leftist anti-Zionists" fail to realise) just a nonsense term Jews use to attack anyone who stands in the way (whether intentionally or not) of Jewish interests.

DeuceKaboose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2015, 11:43 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
slenkar wrote:
It's a reaction to massive muslim immigration.

That doesn't explain the massive anti-Semitic epidemic in Greece right now.

I would say that the HUGE economic problem in Greece is most likely responsible for that. Unemployment is at 26.1% the average wage is shrinking greatly and there is hundreds of jobless people moving to Greece only to be unable to work anyways.

And i personally believe that its things like this that breed political radicalism (ie Communist revolutions in incredibly poor countries) heck a big part of the reason Hitler came into power and had really good support was because he really did help Germany's economy get back on its feet

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 11:55 pm

Humanaut wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Humanaut wrote:

Recent polls confirm it.

Which polls?

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 11:58 pm

Rollo wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Humanaut wrote:

Recent polls confirm it.

It seems to me that the main reason you are making this assertion that "antisemitism" in Europe and/or Greece is mainly a "leftist" phenomenon is that you are a hardcore Zionist who has found that you don't get as much sympathy for Israel from white/European "leftists" as you do from white/European "rightists".

In addition, by making this assertion you are telling white/European rightists "hey, it's ok for you to oppose Muslim influence in your societies, but make sure you don't start opposing Jewish influence - you wouldn't want to be like those 'leftists', would you?" Of course, this will quite likely work on some people, since some people will form their opinions depending on whether they're told that those opinions belong in the "right wing" or the "left wing" box.

As for "anti-Semitism", it is (as many "leftist anti-Zionists" fail to realise) just a nonsense term Jews use to attack anyone who stands in the way (whether intentionally or not) of Jewish interests.

My deviant art profile

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2015, 2:15 pm

The question here of "the rise of fascism in Europe" is not a matter of if, and it's not even a matter of when, but rather, what. What will happen to Europe?

It's become quite apparent that the European Union is in an absolute state of crisis. You're seeing nationalist movements pop up everywhere in Europe and the cracks in the wall are showing at a faster rate. We have:
*The UKIP in the United Kingdom
*Anti-Islamists and perhaps others in Germany (where traditionally far-right politics have been somewhat avoided for obvious reasons)
*Republicans in Spain
*Nationalist movements in Portugal
*Greece has enough on its table
*Scotland coming close to independence and Catalonia and the Basque Country seeking such
List goes on, and on, and on.

The biggest problem with the European Union is that no one will be willing to die for it. Unlike the United States, Canada, Latin America or even Australia or New Zealand, where a (in theory) unified culture has a set of values that everyone lives by, the E.U. is basically a bunch of countries that want to keep peace, democracy, and economic stability. The EU never replaced the traditional cultures that have always existed in Europe. With the crippling economic recessions and the problem of newcoming immigrants who have no real connection to the traditional European countries, will anyone really die for the EU? No, what instead we have is a "save yourself" kind of situation. The SNP and the Catalans are very well aware of this, and have taken/took full advantage. The Russians know of this EU-infighting and therefore have been able to make a move.

The situation in Europe is quite scary with the nationalists. Unlike traditional conservative/liberal parties, the nationalists sort of provide an "immediate answer". With the bad economy, rising immigration rate, and unhappy population, as well as the rise of Russia, this is an incredibly volatile mix.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 3:28 pm

^^^ You are talking of the EU as if it is a single country. It is a bunch of treaties between independent states. There is no single European identity, and when I was growing up I did not even know I lived in the EU. I don't think anyone expected a single identity, since people in one country have a completely different language and culture compared to the next country. Most citizens can't even point out all the EU countries on the map, or tell whether they are part of the EU, Eurozone, Schengen or none of them. I predict the EU will stay a bureaucratic entity and never become a common identity.
I got the feeling the Scottish independence referendum was more about the union with the UK than about the EU. I would expect that if Scotland had become independent they would have later (re)joined the EU.
I think the biggest problem is the economy, and the messed up way the Eurozone functions. With the new quantitative easing they made it so that it is not aimed at the countries where the economy is worst, but it is distributed evenly according to size of the economy, because sending money to Southern Europe would be hard for a politician to justify in Germany for example. It's always these strange political compromises.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 3:38 pm

The problem with the EU is the same problem experienced by the US under the articles of confederation... You cannot have a strong economic union and a weak political one.

You guys need to fully unify or fully separate. What you're doing now will never last.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 3:56 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
The problem with the EU is the same problem experienced by the US under the articles of confederation... You cannot have a strong economic union and a weak political one.

You guys need to fully unify or fully separate. What you're doing now will never last.

I don't think a full unification is really possible. Even now there are 24 languages that are official for use within EU organisations, and they need an army of translators. People are not suddenly going to speak German or English.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 4:24 pm

trollcatman wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:

I don't think a full unification is really possible. Even now there are 24 languages that are official for use within EU organisations, and they need an army of translators. People are not suddenly going to speak German or English.

Yeah, I think you're right about that.

The only other thing to do is stop punishing the south and starving their economies. Dump in A LOT of stimulus money to get things going again and the eurozone might last a few more years.

If things keep going as they are, why should countries like Greece remain in the EU? Could things really be worse for them on their own?

I can tell you, things WILL be much worse for Germany if they have to start pricing their exports in Marks again—they won’t be nearly so cheap as in euros.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 4:35 pm

I expect the opposite to happen possibly, Germany remaining in the Eurozone but the weaker states dropping out of it and re-adopting their old currency. I think it would have been a better idea not to force every country to adopt the euro as soon as they meet the criteria. It definately makes sense for some countries, for example in the Netherlands the guilder was pegged to the Dmark long before the introduction of the euro in 2002, because most of our trade is with Germany. We will probably follow Germany whether they stay or go.
I just saw on the news Siriza won an absolute majority in Greece. Interesting times.
My prediction is that the EU won't fall apart but just stumble on in their own half-assed way. Some new countries join, maybe some even leave, but in the end no one really cares.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 10:25 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
/\ To some, anything right of wherever they are on the left is facist.

As for fascism in Europe, if it exists there it's only because the current socio-political climate is right for it.

I wouldnt get too cocky. America is also on a slippery slope towards the same circumstances.

Europe is only different because we have a historical precedence of fascism.

We conservatives are all facists at heart anyway.
Just ask any liberal if you don't believe me.