Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jan 2015, 3:42 pm

I was put on Ritalin this summer (for symptoms of ADHD, I have yet to pursue ASD evaluation. Strongly suspected for years though, and we believe it runs in my family). It's been great, my impulses are so easy to ignore and calmly consider, and my emotions stay in check. But I don't want to be on it forever, so I thought I would try taking it less over winter break. Bad idea.

Just today I wanted to finally workout again for the first time in ages, but I realized something of mine needs a new battery, my sister has been overwhelming as always (think VERY loud and touchy feely--loves putting her hands on me and basically being the poster child for severe adult ADHD) and just getting so tense that I'm starting to hit rage zone. now I know I need to chill out in my room for a long time before I go back near her again, or go workout (if I do at all).

I'm so sick of being like this again, it makes me want to never go off the meds even though I don't trust their effect on my long-term health. How do you guys get things done??

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 4:59 pm

Ive heard bad things about ritalin,
can you try another medication?
or have you tried natural remedies like fish oil?

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jan 2015, 6:38 pm

Well, it works pretty well, so I hesitate to try and switch. At least during the school year, you know?

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 8:59 pm

slenkar wrote:
have you tried natural remedies like fish oil?

I use mostly herbal/pharmaceutical solutions, not drugs. It's worked decently well, but there are still some things I'd like to fix.

Lockeye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2015, 12:31 am

I don't feel that Ritalin really helped. Sure, it helped me focus and concentrate on things I didn't want to do for a very limited time, but the side effects (especially the irritation after its effects wears off) were in themselves too burdensome. Since ditching it, I've become more aware of the things that bring me to the Meltdown point and learned ways to avoid or mitigate situations that cause Meltdown, rather than pop a Ritalin right through it and wonder why I keep getting so irritated all the time doing the very things that overstimulate me in the first place. It's like Ritalin was more like a set of temporary blinders than a protective shield to the overstimulation.