Vancouver A$ Walk protesters confronted by "autism dad"

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 10:00 pm

http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/post/1 ... hat-autism

Here's one things that caught my attention. It appears the Dad told a bold-faced lie.
He said his 18-year-old son got ABA between ages 2 and 1/2 and 6 thanks to Autism Speaks. A$ was founded in 2005. An 18-year-old would've been 8 or 9 years old when they were founded. Well, Autism Speaks has discovered time travel. They're an even more formidable opponent than I thought.

I could go on and on about the problems here, but this guy is personification of the A$ pity and NT superiority philosophy.

I salute those who go to these protests. They are making an impact by educating the public about the other side of the story.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 12:14 am

I think I may have even told you this before, PlainsAspie (maybe not, but I told somebody on here), I had my tires slashed by autism speaks protesters. Isn't that great? LOL

I do not think the "neurodiversity " groups are being productive at all. I think they'd have so much more success taking a different approach.

I was all gung-ho for "neurodiversity" at one time. But what do you know, my kids don't fit the criteria for being included in neurodiversity. The "neurodiversity" crew think if a child like my eldest is seen with them, people will think they're all like THAT (makes disgusted face), which certainly would never do, so we're not welcome.

So after that I went to an autism speaks walk (prior to this I always refused because I thought it was wrong but obviously neurodiversity isn't for us). Had my tires slashed by my "neurodiversity buddies" at the walk.

I'm finding my pro-neurodiversity side again on this website. That ridiculous attitude exists here too of course, but had some really good advice on here. I think it's probably because my kids aren't here "ruining your image" but regardless, that I'm allowed to be here has actually helped your cause because I am viewing it more favourably again.

It's interesting to me that in your article linked here, this person was saddened by how he treated his son as stupid, because I've been told more than once (more than once just on WP even) that severely autistic people don't have problems because of autism; they have problems because they're really stupid (which NTs can be too, as they helpfully point out). That's actually one of my biggest problems with these people. I think that's nonsense. What was described in your link bothers me too.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 12:54 am

By protesters, I mean ones who hand out literature, hold signs, and maybe do a few chants. I totally condemn anyone who resorts to vandalism. It's ineffective, and even if it did accomplish something, it's still wrong. I have a few choice words for mild autistic people who on the one hand expect to be treated with respect and dignity by neurotypicals, but on the other hand fail to treat severe autistic people with respect and dignity.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2015, 2:12 am

These people sound so self-righteous and think they're helpful crusaders. Neuro-homogeneity really isn't that much better. Also, I noticed the infamous "population bomb" statement as well that seems to be spewed. Fear of an autistic planet.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 12:49 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
I think I may have even told you this before, PlainsAspie (maybe not, but I told somebody on here), I had my tires slashed by autism speaks protesters. Isn't that great? LOL

I do not think the "neurodiversity " groups are being productive at all. I think they'd have so much more success taking a different approach.

I was all gung-ho for "neurodiversity" at one time. But what do you know, my kids don't fit the criteria for being included in neurodiversity. The "neurodiversity" crew think if a child like my eldest is seen with them, people will think they're all like THAT (makes disgusted face), which certainly would never do, so we're not welcome.

So after that I went to an autism speaks walk (prior to this I always refused because I thought it was wrong but obviously neurodiversity isn't for us). Had my tires slashed by my "neurodiversity buddies" at the walk.

I'm finding my pro-neurodiversity side again on this website. That ridiculous attitude exists here too of course, but had some really good advice on here. I think it's probably because my kids aren't here "ruining your image" but regardless, that I'm allowed to be here has actually helped your cause because I am viewing it more favourably again.

It's interesting to me that in your article linked here, this person was saddened by how he treated his son as stupid, because I've been told more than once (more than once just on WP even) that severely autistic people don't have problems because of autism; they have problems because they're really stupid (which NTs can be too, as they helpfully point out). That's actually one of my biggest problems with these people. I think that's nonsense. What was described in your link bothers me too.

Have you ever spoken to any leaders of the neurodiversity movement? I'm pretty sure that most neurodiversity advocates aren't like that.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 12:51 pm

Quote:
I think I may have even told you this before, PlainsAspie (maybe not, but I told somebody on here), I had my tires slashed by autism speaks protesters.

I really hope you reported that to the police. That's definitely illegal.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 5:17 pm

My favorite comment from "autism dad" is that autistic people don't know what they're talking about unless they have autistic kids. He has no interest in learning about autism, he, like those from AS, doesn't see anything of value in autistic people. He views us as sub-human and wants to see the world without us.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 5:17 pm

My favorite comment from "autism dad" is that autistic people don't know what they're talking about unless they have autistic kids. He has no interest in learning about autism, he, like those from AS, doesn't see anything of value in autistic people. He views us as sub-human and wants to see the world without us.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 7:24 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:

Do you know the protestors slashed your tires?

How do you know someone involved with the walk didn't slash your tires?

And why do you go straight to that unfortunate act of vandalism every time? Does a wrong done to you personally invalidate a movement of thousands?

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:06 pm

Jono- I've spoken to the leader of our group, but not anybody on a large scale.
Betwixt- the police knew about it.

Protogenoi wrote:

I don't know who exactly did it, I wasn't present. But clearly whoever it was, was protesting the walk. They left notes on the cars outlining why autism speaks is evil. Are you thinking autism speaks did it themselves to make the protesters look bad? I think that's extremely unlikely. I think you'd agree that Autism Speaks doesn't seem to have any difficulty getting attention... they tend to make waves, yes? This incident that I'm describing was such a small deal that I don't even think it made the newspaper. The walk made the newspaper, but the tire-slashing didn't, or if it did, it was like page 12. Nobody cared. Notice that you haven't heard of it. That doesn't seem very Autism Speaks-like to me. I think that if Autism Speaks wanted to slash tires and implicate protesters, they would do it at a big influential walk, and do it in a big way, so people would care. Also, I think they would make a big deal of how shocked and dismayed they are by these protesters, which to my knowledge they did not do.

Quote:
And why do you go straight to that unfortunate act of vandalism every time? Does a wrong done to you personally invalidate a movement of thousands?

From all the experience I've had with this (which is not limited to an act of vandalism, as you can see in my previous post already), I believe that the neurodiversity movement is very flawed, yes. I think it is based on a good premise, but the execution is bad, and if the execution continues the same way, it will never have the success that people are hoping it will have. I think that's unfortunate. I'm not hoping for its demise. I'm hoping that it will be revamped so it will be better (and thus, presumably, more successful).

I don't wish that the movement didn't exist. I wish the movement was inclusive and run better. I wish the movement had had a positive impact for my children (it has not). My eldest son could be the poster child for "The Horrors of Autism". The majority of people who work with him do not view him as a human being of equal value. They don't think he has the ability to behave purposefully; they believe that everything he does is just random at this point. It is my belief as his mother, that if people viewed and treated him as a valuable human with real thoughts and feelings, and abilities, he would have had more success. This sounds like what neurodiversity is about, right? Or at least, that was my understanding. But of course it's not. The neurodiversity group was just as bad, if not worse. This my "beef" with the movement essentially. Yeah he's "just one kid"...who cares about one kid? Who? ME. I CARE. I care because he's MY kid. I love that kid. He matters to me. And if your movement treats him poorly, hell yeah that invalidates your movement.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
Jono- I've spoken to the leader of our group, but not anybody on a large scale.
Betwixt- the police knew about it.

Protogenoi wrote:

I don't know who exactly did it, I wasn't present. But clearly whoever it was, was protesting the walk. They left notes on the cars outlining why autism speaks is evil. Are you thinking autism speaks did it themselves to make the protesters look bad? I think that's extremely unlikely. I think you'd agree that Autism Speaks doesn't seem to have any difficulty getting attention... they tend to make waves, yes? This incident that I'm describing was such a small deal that I don't even think it made the newspaper. The walk made the newspaper, but the tire-slashing didn't, or if it did, it was like page 12. Nobody cared. Notice that you haven't heard of it. That doesn't seem very Autism Speaks-like to me. I think that if Autism Speaks wanted to slash tires and implicate protesters, they would do it at a big influential walk, and do it in a big way, so people would care. Also, I think they would make a big deal of how shocked and dismayed they are by these protesters, which to my knowledge they did not do.

Quote:

From all the experience I've had with this (which is not limited to an act of vandalism, as you can see in my previous post already), I believe that the neurodiversity movement is very flawed, yes. I think it is based on a good premise, but the execution is bad, and if the execution continues the same way, it will never have the success that people are hoping it will have. I think that's unfortunate. I'm not hoping for its demise. I'm hoping that it will be revamped so it will be better (and thus, presumably, more successful).

I don't wish that the movement didn't exist. I wish the movement was inclusive and run better. I wish the movement had had a positive impact for my children (it has not). My eldest son could be the poster child for "The Horrors of Autism". The majority of people who work with him do not view him as a human being of equal value. They don't think he has the ability to behave purposefully; they believe that everything he does is just random at this point. It is my belief as his mother, that if people viewed and treated him as a valuable human with real thoughts and feelings, and abilities, he would have had more success. This sounds like what neurodiversity is about, right? Or at least, that was my understanding. But of course it's not. The neurodiversity group was just as bad, if not worse. This my "beef" with the movement essentially. Yeah he's "just one kid"...who cares about one kid? Who? ME. I CARE. I care because he's MY kid. I love that kid. He matters to me. And if your movement treats him poorly, hell yeah that invalidates your movement.

Oh, I'm not so paranoid or crazy as to think that Autism Speaks reached down from their lofty abode to do it. But it could have been that people part of the walk decided to slash the tires, maybe seeing the pamphlets on your car and thinking it might credit their own bias. That in case the news cared, they wouldn't look favorably on the protesters.
It would be a very Machiavellian thing to do.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:19 pm

The idea that a rogue Autism Speaks supporter committed a false flag attack to frame neurodiversity supporters, while interesting, is highly unlikely.

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
This sounds like what neurodiversity is about, right? Or at least, that was my understanding. But of course it's not.

That's my idea of neurodiversity. The name implies respect for all forms of brain wiring. Groups that exclude certain autistics don't represent my views and I'm positive they don't represent the views of the majority of neurodiversity supporters.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 11:01 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
The idea that a rogue Autism Speaks supporter committed a false flag attack to frame neurodiversity supporters, while interesting, is highly unlikely.

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
This sounds like what neurodiversity is about, right? Or at least, that was my understanding. But of course it's not.

That's my idea of neurodiversity. The name implies respect for all forms of brain wiring. Groups that exclude certain autistics don't represent my views and I'm positive they don't represent the views of the majority of neurodiversity supporters.

It is unlikely... hehe... my dark side is currently telling me that it would be hilarious to go around committing false flags :twisted: ... ... ... :? :P

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 9:29 am

PlainsAspie wrote:

Great? Maybe it has changed since I left it disillusioned.
It's hard for me to believe though. I find that pessimism is hard to shake off once it has been developed.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 7:41 pm

link

A reply that is encouraging.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 8:21 pm

This article reflects what I feel about it.

The kid is happy--he's high-fiving people. He's happy in his own little world. Why deny him that happiness?