Which one of these people is doing more damage to our image?

Page 7 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Which one of these is doing the most damage to our image?
1. Chris Chan 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
2. Simon Baron-Cohen 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
3. The blogging Autism Moms 44%  44%  [ 31 ]
4. Nobody 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
5. Somebody else entirely - tell me who, tell me, tell me, tell me. 23%  23%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 71

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:08 am

League_Girl wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I think my ex boyfriend may have had been one. He believed the government could take your house if he wanted it and he just kicks you out without any warning and he thought they also hired someone to assassinate a person for them when the person knows something they don't want them to know so thus the reason why some people disappear and are never found. My mom thought he was a schizophrenic because he had lot of "strange" beliefs. One of my aspie friends had friends who are conspiracy theorists and they wear him out too when he has to listen to it.

I sometimes get a crazy idea about what if there are actually time machines and that was how Anne Frank's family was found because something must have happened that made them famous so someone thought they could change the history by giving an anonymous call and to this day no one still knows who mad that call. Someone told me "actually this has been expressed before" so I saw I wasn't the only one with this crazy idea lol. I don't really believe in my own idea so I won't argue over it like my ex would about his ideas. He hated when I would challenge his ideas and when I wouldn't agree so he would keep on arguing and not drop it.

The government can kick you out of your house and take it, I believe it is called imminent domain, if they claim to 'need' the land for something else. Though there would be warning, but he's not totally off track to believe that just seems a bit mis-informed about the process....Also though you think there never are assassinations like that? I imagine you don't typically hear about them but I'd think its more likely than not it occurs it could explain some disappearances especially in a nation where cops murder people. Though if your ex figured they where coming for him specifically just because for instance that would be leaning more towards delusional.

He thought our gov assissinated people and kept silent about it and he belived our gov owned his stuff because they could come and take it if they wanted to he said.

Well I bet they do assassinate people and keep silent about it....But no the government does not own all of someones stuff just because they are able to take it in some circumstances, either way one does not have to be schizophrenic to have unusual ideas or worries necessarily.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2015, 4:41 am

aghogday wrote:
Autism Speaks is NOT a hate group.

Saying over and over "Autism Speaks isn't a hate group" won't magically make them tolerant and accepting of AS, it certainly doesn't address any of their behaviour.

aghogday wrote:
And that is NOT SOMETHING that JER has ever stated.
He has a logical head on his shoulders.
He does not agree with EVERYTHING THEY do and neither do I.

John Elder Robison has made it's quite clear where he stands on this. That you've thoroughly deluded yourself into thinking that he on the same page as you, is quite troubling.

aghogday wrote:
And Fragile X syndrome is far from the only direct cause of Autism that is IN FACT DISEASE.
ALL of this simply makes SOME of the people here look like they have no human empathy, particularly, when these facts are brought to the forefront and totally ignored.
As I have done time and time again.
The whole thing disgusts me, and I do not want the taste of it, anymore.

You happily spout your delusions, have no issue spreading around the stigma that we've diseased without realising how hateful and damaging that is to AS people, try to whitewash Autism Speaks as an upstanding and caring organisation and paint detractors are a bunch of conspiracy theorists all while remaining willfully ignorant. And you have the temerity to talk about empathy and ignoring facts. You have the gall to be disgusted, when people actually want to be considered human beings.

aghogday wrote:
Fragile X syndrome is A direct cause of Autism and a genetic disease attributed to 5% of all cases of Autism, which is about half of all cases of previously diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome in the United States, per CDC measured percentages.

IN THIS case the CURE FOR AUTISM IS THE CURE FOR Fragile X-syndrome, which I personally doubt will ever happen but never the less, treatments of remediation for symptoms specific to Fragile X-syndrome and Autism one and the same, are well under way for a better life for these folks thanks to the efforts of donations and research organizations that give a CRAP about REAL human suffering.

Fragile X is not the same as Autism, and they're not related. Fragile X happens mostly with NTs, but also with left handed people, and gay people. They're not diseased either.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2015, 4:44 am

aghogday wrote:
However scientists do have a handle on Fragile X-syndrome, as the greatest current direct genetic disease factor directly causing the disorder of Autism.

Mercury.
Lead.
Pesticides.
Plastics.
Gluten.
Not enough strawberries.
Brain damage.
Automotive exhaust.
Bad brain nerves.
Vaccines.
Chemicals found in non-stick cookware.
Lack of maternal bonding.
Bad parenting.
No worms.
Parasites.
Heavy metals.
Lyme disease.
Trauma.
Relative finger length.
Money.
Amino acids.
Too much androgen.
Air pollution.
The Internet.
Rubella. (German measles)
Drugs during pregnancy.
Vitamin deficiency.
God.
Food and water.
Circumcision.

....Fragile X syndrome.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 9:52 am

Moromillas wrote:
aghogday wrote:
However scientists do have a handle on Fragile X-syndrome, as the greatest current direct genetic disease factor directly causing the disorder of Autism.

Mercury.
Lead.
Pesticides.
Plastics.
Gluten.
Not enough strawberries.
Brain damage.
Automotive exhaust.
Bad brain nerves.
Vaccines.
Chemicals found in non-stick cookware.
Lack of maternal bonding.
Bad parenting.
No worms.
Parasites.
Heavy metals.
Lyme disease.
Trauma.
Relative finger length.
Money.
Amino acids.
Too much androgen.
Air pollution.
The Internet.
Rubella. (German measles)
Drugs during pregnancy.
Vitamin deficiency.
God.
Food and water.
Circumcision.

....Fragile X syndrome.

Nice list BUT HERE ARE THE FACTS:

AND I AM USING a source that the ASAN AUTISM SELF-ADVOCATE organization ENDORSES, PER THE AUTISM SOCIETY

http://www.autism-society.org/what-is/causes/

Quote:
Causes

There is no known single cause for autism spectrum disorder, but it is generally accepted that it is caused by abnormalities in brain structure or function. Brain scans show differences in the shape and structure of the brain in children with autism compared to in neurotypical children. Researchers do not know the exact cause of autism but are investigating a number of theories, including the links among heredity, genetics and medical problems.

In many families, there appears to be a pattern of autism or related disabilities, further supporting the theory that the disorder has a genetic basis. While no one gene has been identified as causing autism, researchers are searching for irregular segments of genetic code that children with autism may have inherited. It also appears that some children are born with a susceptibility to autism, but researchers have not yet identified a single “trigger” that causes autism to develop.

Other researchers are investigating the possibility that under certain conditions, a cluster of unstable genes may interfere with brain development, resulting in autism. Still other researchers are investigating problems during pregnancy or delivery as well as environmental factors such as viral infections, metabolic imbalances and exposure to chemicals.

Genetic Vulnerability

Autism tends to occur more frequently than expected among individuals who have certain medical conditions, including fragile X syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, congenital rubella syndrome and untreated phenylketonuria (PKU). Some harmful substances ingested during pregnancy also have been associated with an increased risk of autism.

Environmental Factors

Research indicates other factors besides the genetic component are contributing to the rise in increasing occurrence of autism – for example, environmental toxins (e.g., heavy metals such as mercury), which are more prevalent than in the past. Those with autism (or those at risk) may be especially vulnerable to such toxins, as their ability to metabolize and detoxify these exposures might be compromised.

WHETHER you CAN appreciate the TRUTH OR NOT, fragile X syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, congenital rubella syndrome and untreated phenylketonuria (PKU)S ARE ALL HUMAN DISEASES that are direct causal factors of some forms of Autism.

AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO RECORD of John Elder Robison EVER EVER stating Autism Speaks is a hate group.

That is simply rubbish and there is no professional person anywhere in the field of Autism that SUGGESTS THAT.

QUOTE IT OR OTHERWISE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. ;)

I ain't the ignorant OR DELUDED one here friend; I always come ARMED WITH THIRD PARTY REFERENCES.

AND I HAVE PLENTY MORE TO SHOOT UPON REQUEST..;)

AND These facts about Autism have been around for literally DECADES BUT SOME folks would rather push conspiracy theories RATHER THAN FACTS.

But again, the New England Journal of medicine provides the evidence as to WHY.

SO I understand it as a fascinating niche of human being but truly SAD TOO, as this kind of ignorance is WHAT TRULY BREEDS HATE.

Anyway you are just singing to a part of a choir here and NO one IN THE REAL WORLD with common sense TAKES any of this seriously, per Autism Speaks is a Hate Group Crap.

It's just Internet conspiracy BS and I'll leave it here for now, if you are finished with me for now.

But if you insist on continuing to suggest I am the ignorant one and deluded, I'll be back with a ton of more facts, as my Autistic super power is reading 10 to 15 times faster than the average human being, per my Hyperlexic form of Autism and typing around 130 words a minute when properly focused, AS I AM a lifelong pianist as well.

I also graduated at the top of the class IN all my academic endeavors in high school and college with three degrees.

I also have a quarter of a century experience working with many hats ON FOR the government, retiring at the GS9 to 11 pay grade, level.

I am a research associate scientist when younger than that.

I also am financially independent at age 54, own my own home, and that is my beautiful wife in the AVATAR with me.

I also can lift 900LBS now with my legs on Parallel Nautilus free weight leg press machine, as I have developed a unique style of free style martial arts and ballet dance walk that I have done to the tune of close to 3000 miles of Nike GPS sports watch measurement over 17 months now. At age 54, empirically speaking, I am stronger than all the much younger Marines at my elite Military gym, as they cannot come close to lift that much weight with their legs.

I am considered a dance legend in my local area, with accolades from the general public.

And most interestingly, my doctors agree that I singularly cured the most difficult reciprocal social communication problems of Autism by connecting language and emotion through free verse poetry, and increasing my physical intelligence to regulate my emotions, greater integrating my senses per sensory integration, and increasing both my short term memory and cognitive executive functioning, as science now shows that physical intelligence freely learned and expressed as an art increases all these human intelligences, and in my case, as medically documented INCREASING PHYSICAL INTELLIGENCE HAS remediated, per the modern MEDICAL definition of cure, my most FUNCTIONALLY disabling aspects of Autism.

And yes, I can provide documented, video, and photo evidence of all of this on request IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING THE FULL PICTURE YET, MY FRIEND.

I USE ALL MY INTELLIGENCES NOW MORE FULLY AND that is why some folks in real life call me a Legend.

I'm waiting for you to pooh pooh the idea that someone with Autism can do all of this, AS MANY people on this forum have done, BEFORE I PROVIDED THE IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE TO THEM.

I BREAK ALL THE STEREOTYPES IN THE REAL WORLD THAT EXIST ASSOCIATED WITH AUTISM.

AND YES, I AM PROFESSIONALLY DIAGNOSED AND HAVE THE PEDIGREE TO PROVE THAT TOO. ;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 10:21 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Seriously, six pages and nobody has said Adam Lanza or Elliott Rodgers?

People like them are causing the most damage to our image, as well as to those with schizophrenia.

:roll: I knew eventually someone would not be able to resist bringing that up yet again. Elliot Rodgers was not diagnosed with aspergers syndrome and no substantial proof he had it for one. Also how do you figure people with schizophrenia damage the image of autistics? why do I get the feeling the answer to that will be filled with stigmatizing generalizations about people with schizophrenia.

What I meant is that because of Lanza and Rodgers, people could potentially generalize all of us as violent psychopaths. And in the case of Elliott Rodgers, they may generalize males on the spectrum as potential sexual abusers. Some people use people like John Hinckley and James Holmes in their generalizations of people with schizophrenia. This is the connection I was referring to.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 10:59 am

My schizophrenic aunt used to get in trouble all the time with the law, is that the minority of schizophrenia?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 12:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:
My schizophrenic aunt used to get in trouble all the time with the law, is that the minority of schizophrenia?

According to research Schizophrenia and substance abuse makes trouble with the law potentially 10 times more likely, than the general population.

But without the substance abuse there is no substantial association that research shows.

Substance abuse is also a studied factor of trouble with the law and Asperger's Syndrome.

However, substance abuse alone is a factor for criminality.

Interestingly, folks who do not get nurturing during the first two years of life in the touchy feely way from a caring Mother and Father or surrogate parents often fall to the disease of addiction.

Science now shows that the wiring of the brain that is necessary to FEEL SOCIAL BONDING WITH OTHER FOLKS THAT IS THE STUDIED NUMBER 1 FACTOR OF HUMAN HAPPINESS, is sorely stunted without nurturing in the first two years of life.

While it's not politically correct to suggest IT, science now shows a real correlation of AUTISM AND THE REFRIGERATOR Mother Theory but only as an environmental potential causal factor and not an innate one, like the ones listed above per genetic disease.

Knowledge is power. Nurturing parents who actually RAISE THEIR CHILDREN IN TOUCHY FEELY WAYS IS A HUMAN NECESSITY FOR healthy socially cooperative human beings.

We LIVE in a society, overall now, where the majority of time SOME parents aren't even paying attention to their children.

AS METAPHOR Barney, the purple dinosaur on TV or DVD, is busy raising the children in NON-NURTURING Non-TOUCHY FEELY WAYS.

And the results of that can be children who have deficits in REAL LIFE TOUCHY FEELY RECIPROCAL SOCIAL COMMUNICATION WAYS OF social cooperation, sad as THAT TRUTH may be.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 12:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Definitely the minority. Same with people on the spectrum. Unfortunately, there are people who will make generalizations based on that minority.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:04 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Definitely the minority. Same with people on the spectrum. Unfortunately, there are people who will make generalizations based on that minority.

When you keep hearing about a schizophrenic getting in trouble with the law or killing someone or hearing about someone being attacked by an autistic or by their autistic child, it will look like a common thing because no one will say "My mom is a schizophrenic and she is a good person and has never been in trouble with the law or had any police involved" or "My son is autistic and he doesn't hurt a fly and he is so calm and quiet." Instead you hear all these bad stories about someone with a condition so people make that generalization and even TV will show the bad side just for the drama and entertainment and that reinforces bigotry and justifying it.

I also keep hearing bad stories about working with special needs about how they get attacked or have students who are aggressive or have violent outbursts and of all the time I have been in special ed, not one of them was violent and there was only one kid who was and I was six then when he was in my class and then there was Frankie but he was never in any of my classes but he would come to my house occasionally and he was aggressive towards my brothers and kept throwing an ax at them one time and chopped up my parents hammock. It went nearly a year about me not knowing about this until my dad and brothers told me and I was so pissed and hated him then. I already knew he was violent but once he did it towards my family, I was done with him. He reached my limit. Now I have zero tolerance about aggression. So I am sure these "special" kids are in the minority and I am sure lot of special ed teachers don't get attacked by their students and it would be rare for them to get a student who has aggression. But the stories are still scary and lot of people don't want to risk having an aggressive child so they will fear having an autistic child thinking it will be aggressive and rip their whole house apart and breaking their stuff and getting harmed by them. But those cases are actually rare I hear. But we keep hearing these rare stories online and in the media.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2015, 7:43 pm

aghogday wrote:

AND I AM USING a source that the ASAN AUTISM SELF-ADVOCATE organization ENDORSES, PER THE AUTISM SOCIETY

WHETHER you CAN appreciate the TRUTH OR NOT, fragile X syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, congenital rubella syndrome and untreated phenylketonuria (PKU)S ARE ALL HUMAN DISEASES that are direct causal factors of some forms of Autism.

Straight away I noticed a severe lack of links to any credible scientific studies, and there's a good reason for that.
It's because there aren't any.
Here it is here, in black and white, on the page you linked: "but researchers have not yet identified a single “trigger” that causes autism to develop."
That you would gleefully gloss over and ignore this, from your own bias confirmation that you purport as evidence, is just stunning.

From this, we can safely conclude a few things:
You employ a lot of wishful thinking.
You're thoroughly delusional.
Willfully ignorant.
With a very low standard for evidence.

I mean f**k me, they even list quack theories like Heavy metals and Mercury, which isn't new and is straight from MMS child abusers. Rubella and drugs and alcohol during pregnancy, I wouldn't be surprised if they suggested drinking water.

That's some nice bias confirmation you've found. By the way, this message was brought to you by ASAN. lol

It's great that you're in support for curing Fragile X, but don't go around on AS forum saying that we're diseased and that Fragile X is the cause, when we're no more diseased than left handed people are and when it has nothing to do with Fragile X. It impacts and affects AS people in ways you don't have that capacity to comprehend. There are already more than enough quacks when it comes to AS, thank you very much.

aghogday wrote:
AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO RECORD of John Elder Robison EVER EVER stating Autism Speaks is a hate group.

That is simply rubbish and there is no professional person anywhere in the field of Autism that SUGGESTS THAT.

I ain't the ignorant OR DELUDED one here friend; I always come ARMED WITH THIRD PARTY REFERENCES.

AND These facts about Autism have been around for literally DECADES BUT SOME folks would rather push conspiracy theories RATHER THAN FACTS.

SO I understand it as a fascinating niche of human being but truly SAD TOO, as this kind of ignorance is WHAT TRULY BREEDS HATE.

Anyway you are just singing to a part of a choir here and NO one IN THE REAL WORLD with common sense TAKES any of this seriously, per Autism Speaks is a Hate Group Crap.

It's just Internet conspiracy BS and I'll leave it here for now, if you are finished with me for now.

To say that you're on the same page as John Elder Robison, is indeed delusional and/or willfully ignorant.

Here are some quotes from John's own blog post, titled, "I resign my roles at Autism Speaks" after repeated attempts over a four year time span, trying to remediate the groups intolerance and bigotry:
http://jerobison.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/i-resign-my-roles-at-autism-speaks.html

"For the past four years I have worked very hard to defend Autism Speak after a series of public relations missteps; beginning with the I Am Autism video. The most recent “Autism Speaks Point of View” http://www.autismspeaks.org/news/news-item/autism-speaks-washington-call-action shows me that my words and efforts have had no real impact on the beliefs of the actual leadership of the organization."
-- John Elder Robison (2013)

Here's the video John's talking about:
http://youtu.be/8mycxSJ3-_Q

And with it, you can see how they view AS, how much they hate and despise Autism and Asperger's, that's what Autism Speaks is. To brush it off as a conspiracy, you would have to pretend it doesn't exist, or that AS people secretly made and tricked them into publicly publishing the video, in order to damage Autism Speaks' reputation and paint them as a hate group choc full of intolerant bigots. Now THAT, would be a conspiratorial.

John continues in his blog post:
"I have tried to help Autism Speaks staffers understand how destructive its messages have been to the psyches of autistic people. We do not like hearing that we are defective or diseased. We do not like hearing that we are part of an epidemic. We are not problems for our parents or society, or genes to be eliminated. We are people."

Clearly, a message that you yourself have not heeded.

Here are some more quotes from John, directly from his blog, addressing more of the bigotry of Speaks, and their disgusting lunatic desire to prevent AS, after they proudly announced their misappropriation and waste of donation money in such a disturbing and hateful fashion:
http://jerobison.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/whats-mssng-in-autism.html

"As I said in the beginning, autistic people are not missing. We have always been here, and we always will. Yet I and many other autistics live with the knowledge that we occupy a world where autism is widely perceived as a disease or defect. I can’t speak for other autistics, but I don’t much care to be seen as diseased or defective. Nor do I like being seen as “missing pieces,” which the name mssng implied.

To say that is not to deny the very real ways autism disables us. Rather, it’s a simple statement of fact. Autism is a neurological difference, not a sickness. As such, it’s here for a reason. Who are we, to second-guess that? Remediate its disability – sure! Wipe it from the world – that’s crazy talk, and societal suicide."

-- John Elder Robison (2014)

That you've deluded yourself into thinking that you two are on the same page, and that everyone else is just a conspiracy theorist, is just gobsmacking.

aghogday wrote:
But if you insist on continuing to suggest I am the ignorant one and deluded, I'll be back with a ton of more facts, as my Autistic super power is reading 10 to 15 times faster than the average human being, per my Hyperlexic form of Autism and typing around 130 words a minute when properly focused, AS I AM a lifelong pianist as well.

I also graduated at the top of the class IN all my academic endeavors in high school and college with three degrees.

I also have a quarter of a century experience working with many hats ON FOR the government, retiring at the GS9 to 11 pay grade, level.

I also am financially independent at age 54, own my own home, and that is my beautiful wife in the AVATAR with me.

I also can lift 900LBS now with my legs on Parallel Nautilus free weight leg press machine, as I have developed a unique style of free style martial arts and ballet dance walk that I have done to the tune of close to 3000 miles of Nike GPS sports watch measurement over 17 months now. At age 54, empirically speaking, I am stronger than all the much younger Marines at my elite Military gym, as they cannot come close to lift that much weight with their legs.

I am considered a dance legend in my local area, with accolades from the general public.

And most interestingly, my doctors agree that I singularly cured the most difficult reciprocal social communication problems of Autism by connecting language and emotion through free verse poetry, and increasing my physical intelligence to regulate my emotions, greater integrating my senses per sensory integration, and increasing both my short term memory and cognitive executive functioning, as science now shows that physical intelligence freely learned and expressed as an art increases all these human intelligences, and in my case, as medically documented INCREASING PHYSICAL INTELLIGENCE HAS remediated, per the modern MEDICAL definition of cure, my most FUNCTIONALLY disabling aspects of Autism.

And yes, I can provide documented, video, and photo evidence of all of this on request IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING THE FULL PICTURE YET, MY FRIEND.

I USE ALL MY INTELLIGENCES NOW MORE FULLY AND that is why some folks in real life call me a Legend.

I'm waiting for you to pooh pooh the idea that someone with Autism can do all of this, AS MANY people on this forum have done, BEFORE I PROVIDED THE IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE TO THEM.

I BREAK ALL THE STEREOTYPES IN THE REAL WORLD THAT EXIST ASSOCIATED WITH AUTISM.

Well, it's unfortunate that a massive ego doesn't protect people from delusion. That's very interesting to me, I also created my own unique style of martial arts just the other day using chopsticks. Instead of issuing challenges over the internet as a "martial artist", perhaps there's a martial arts style that stops people from escaping the rational world.

aghogday wrote:
AND YES, I AM PROFESSIONALLY DIAGNOSED AND HAVE THE PEDIGREE TO PROVE THAT TOO. ;)

What the? No one said that you weren't on the spectrum. AS people don't go around proclaiming that they have the proof that they're diagnosed. Why the hell would you mention this? Is this something we should be questioning?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm

With regard to refrigerator mothers I found this article from 2010:

Whose Fault is Autism? A Historical View of Placing Blame - link

Quote:
In the 1940s, however, apparently at least in part out of a desire for professional advancement, Kanner published new descriptive work that emphasized the role of the "refrigerator mother", whose denial of emotional warmth caused her baby to turn away from other human beings and become autistic. This perspective was easily popularized at a time when there was a strong behaviorist influence (stressing the role of experience as the primary cause of development) as well as a concern about the role of women; following World War II, as men came back from the army and navy, women who had been working in factories were told to step aside, go home, and take up their domestic duties. "Blaming" seems to have come into the picture at this time, as women were popularly characterized as withholding nurture and causing their children's emotional disturbance.

I thought we had gone beyond blaming the mother. Guess not.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 9:56 pm

Moromillas wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Straight away I noticed a severe lack of links to any credible scientific studies, and there's a good reason for that.
It's because there aren't any.
Here it is here, in black and white, on the page you linked: "but researchers have not yet identified a single “trigger” that causes autism to develop."
That you would gleefully gloss over and ignore this, from your own bias confirmation that you purport as evidence, is just stunning.

From this, we can safely conclude a few things:
You employ a lot of wishful thinking.
You're thoroughly delusional.
Willfully ignorant.
With a very low standard for evidence.

I mean f**k me, they even list quack theories like Heavy metals and Mercury, which isn't new and is straight from MMS child abusers. Rubella and drugs and alcohol during pregnancy, I wouldn't be surprised if they suggested drinking water.

That's some nice bias confirmation you've found. By the way, this message was brought to you by ASAN. lol

It's great that you're in support for curing Fragile X, but don't go around on AS forum saying that we're diseased and that Fragile X is the cause, when we're no more diseased than left handed people are and when it has nothing to do with Fragile X. It impacts and affects AS people in ways you don't have that capacity to comprehend. There are already more than enough quacks when it comes to AS, thank you very much.

aghogday wrote:

To say that you're on the same page as John Elder Robison, is indeed delusional and/or willfully ignorant.

Here are some quotes from John's own blog post, titled, "I resign my roles at Autism Speaks" after repeated attempts over a four year time span, trying to remediate the groups intolerance and bigotry:
http://jerobison.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/i-resign-my-roles-at-autism-speaks.html

"For the past four years I have worked very hard to defend Autism Speak after a series of public relations missteps; beginning with the I Am Autism video. The most recent “Autism Speaks Point of View” http://www.autismspeaks.org/news/news-item/autism-speaks-washington-call-action shows me that my words and efforts have had no real impact on the beliefs of the actual leadership of the organization."

Here's the video John's talking about:
http://youtu.be/8mycxSJ3-_Q

And with it, you can see how they view AS, how much they hate and despise Autism and Asperger's, that's what Autism Speaks is. To brush it off as a conspiracy, you would have to pretend it doesn't exist, or that AS people secretly made and tricked them into publicly publishing the video, in order to damage Autism Speaks' reputation and paint them as a hate group choc full of intolerant bigots. Now THAT, would be a conspiratorial.

John continues in his blog post:
"I have tried to help Autism Speaks staffers understand how destructive its messages have been to the psyches of autistic people. We do not like hearing that we are defective or diseased. We do not like hearing that we are part of an epidemic. We are not problems for our parents or society, or genes to be eliminated. We are people."

Clearly, a message that you yourself have not heeded.

Here are some more quotes from John, directly from his blog, addressing more of the bigotry of Speaks, and their disgusting lunatic desire to prevent AS, after they proudly announced their misappropriation and waste of donation money in such a disturbing and hateful fashion:
http://jerobison.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/whats-mssng-in-autism.html

"As I said in the beginning, autistic people are not missing. We have always been here, and we always will. Yet I and many other autistics live with the knowledge that we occupy a world where autism is widely perceived as a disease or defect. I can’t speak for other autistics, but I don’t much care to be seen as diseased or defective. Nor do I like being seen as “missing pieces,” which the name mssng implied.

To say that is not to deny the very real ways autism disables us. Rather, it’s a simple statement of fact. Autism is a neurological difference, not a sickness. As such, it’s here for a reason. Who are we, to second-guess that? Remediate its disability – sure! Wipe it from the world – that’s crazy talk, and societal suicide."

-- John Elder Robison (2014)

That you've deluded yourself into thinking that you two are on the same page, and that everyone else is just a conspiracy theorist, is just gobsmacking.

aghogday wrote:

Well, it's unfortunate that a massive ego doesn't protect people from delusion. That's very interesting to me, I also created my own unique style of martial arts just the other day using chopsticks. Instead of issuing challenges over the internet as a "martial artist", perhaps there's a martial arts style that stops people from escaping the rational world.

aghogday wrote:

What the? No one said that you weren't on the spectrum. AS people don't go around proclaiming that they have the proof that they're diagnosed. Why the hell would you mention this? Is this something we should be questioning?

A single trigger for all autism, NO. Causal factors, including the genetic diseases above, definitely yes.

And you can wiggle your WAY all around the truth as much as you like but again YOU STILL HAVE NOT PROVIDED ANY EVIDENCE ANYWHERE THAT ANYONE, INCLUDING JER, BUT conspiracy theorists are concluding that Autism Speaks is a Hate Group, and as I clearly stated I personally do not agree with everything they do either but nothing in life is EITHER BLACK AND WHITE ONLY OR PERFECT.

Some so-called Autistic folks are ALWAYS SUGGESTING THAT Autistic People can do anything they want until they say it and Prove IT, and some nameless avatar goes on about big egos instead of lauding accomplishments like MOST real humans do.

And no that's nothing new, here, for sure, BUT I FOR ONE DO BREAK STEREOTYPES AND CAN PROVIDE THE IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE FOR IT TOO, UPON REQUEST, if ya wanna see much more of me. ;)

But anyway have a nice day, I am finished with you here for NOW. :)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 10:01 pm

androbot01 wrote:
With regard to refrigerator mothers I found this article from 2010:

Whose Fault is Autism? A Historical View of Placing Blame - link

Quote:
In the 1940s, however, apparently at least in part out of a desire for professional advancement, Kanner published new descriptive work that emphasized the role of the "refrigerator mother", whose denial of emotional warmth caused her baby to turn away from other human beings and become autistic. This perspective was easily popularized at a time when there was a strong behaviorist influence (stressing the role of experience as the primary cause of development) as well as a concern about the role of women; following World War II, as men came back from the army and navy, women who had been working in factories were told to step aside, go home, and take up their domestic duties. "Blaming" seems to have come into the picture at this time, as women were popularly characterized as withholding nurture and causing their children's emotional disturbance.

I thought we had gone beyond blaming the mother. Guess not.

Science is always learning new things, and the lack of nurture in the first two years can cause children to go empathy numb across the lifespan. It's just a biological fact. No use to blame anyone.

But all the cause for providing appropriate nurture to children for the first two years of life, to establish empathic connections in the brain for working social cognition and reciprocal social communication, later in life.

And no it's not a direct cause for Autism, only a potential environmental factor that influences the symptoms that become diagnosable, at least in some cases.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 10:41 pm

Moromillas wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Moromillias, I am professionally diagnosed, when I was well into middle age. Thats where I learned about Aspergers. I did quite a bit of research afterwards.

I am also certainly not willfully ignorant and actually not ignorant at all, simply because I refuse to jump on the hurt feelings, take everything personally and blow it all up out of proportion because it's all a secret Nazi eugenics program bandwagon.

Straw men like this.

No one is saying that there's a secret plan to euthenise AS people, that's nonsense. With the amount of stigma and ignorance we have attached to us, it would be very easy for parents to justify abortion, if it were available, or some sort of treatment for their kids to make them non-AS. In fact, there's already parents trying desperately to make their kids non-AS. Speaks is indeed a responsible party in spreading those stigmas.

Did your research include credible sources? Or just the internet? Because that would explain all of your misconceptions.

No honey. I researched via more than the internet.

Also, I suppose you have missed the posts where people say that Autism Speaks hates autistics. I guess you missed it when people say they must want to kill us all. You probably just accidentally skipped over the posts that compared them to Hitler and said they were just Nazis. All those people who say that are in your little group of anti-Autism Speaks.

It's perfectl ok for parents to get therapy for their autistic kids to minimize the autistic symptoms. It's fine for parents to want their kids to be like their siblings and like other kids and not have the problems that autism does bring. There is nothing wrong with parents getting treatment and therapy and even medication for their children to help them, whether you approve of it or not. When you have children of your own, then you are free to raise them however you want to. When you are grown and have a job and a way to support yourself and them, then you are actually free to adopt all the autistic kids you want and even *not* get them therapy or treatment or medical care for their autism and see how that goes with you and them.

Just because you are going way over the top with this doesn't mean that it's true and doesn't mean most people are going to buy into your emotional rhetoric. Like I said before, some of ya'll are taking Autism Speaks personally. They don't want to change you, they don't want to change me, they want kids who can't communicate to be able to, they want kids who can't go through a day without a meltdown to be able to, they want people to be able to enjoy and live their lives without being limited by autism. You said in an earlier post that you just wanted to be called something that didn't sound like low functioning autism. This makes me think that your frenzy over Autism Speaks is personal. Maybe you think that because of their commercials, you are afraid that everybody is going to think you are like the kids they show.

I know you are all worked up over them, and really if you would allow yourself to get some perspective on this, and stop taking it personally, and stop being so damn paranoid over it, and maybe think of somebody other than yourself, like the very low functioning kids that Autism Speaks is talking about and wants help for, and their families, even though the families seem to be less than zero importance to quite a few of people in your little group, then maybe you could understand where they are coming from and that they aren't trying to ruin the lives and images of high functioning autistics.

Also, you never listed for me the reasons that you think autism is such a wonderful gift. Please do.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 10:50 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Like I said before, some of ya'll are taking Autism Speaks personally. They don't want to change you, they don't want to change me, they want kids who can't communicate to be able to, they want kids who can't go through a day without a meltdown to be able to, they want people to be able to enjoy and live their lives without being limited by autism.

You sound like you've been reading their literature...did they get back to you?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 10:53 pm

Ganondox wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
You can dislike the autism without disliking autistics.

When all the word is from neurotypical people complaining about their own suffering and there are no autistics complaining about their suffering being represented, I find that extremely hard to believe. It's like saying "Oh, I don't hate black people, I just hate how their skin is black, but underneath their black skin they are the same as a white person! I also dislike their culture and...but don't hate black people!"

It is nothing at all like saying that. Not at all. Honestly, if you either can't understand or if you are just refusing to understand that being autistic is not like being black, then I can't explain it to you.

I will say that being black is a race. Being autistic is having autism, which is a neurological disorder. Being black is not having a skin disorder. Being black doesn't cause some people to be able to communicate or not be able to eat but a few things or tolerate many things, or get a job or have relationships, or manage money or deal with stress. Being black may have it's degrees of skin color such as light skinned and dark skinned and that's a sort of spectrum of levels there, but that's pretty much where it stops. Blacks and autistics are both discriminated against somewhat and education can go a long way to fix both of those, but if you honestly can't see how having a neurological disorder is different from being black, then I'd actually have to call you a bigot. You are basically saying that being black is a disorder, so that makes you a bigot, doesn't it? I know of no medical publication that calls being black a disorder, but it does say that autism is.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com