Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2015, 5:00 pm

That is why I'm considered to be an aspie. Also sheldon doesn't do sarcasm, and when he does it is very obvious.

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 12:31 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
No, it's the fact that the other characters have evolved over time and Sheldon hasn't. He is still the same character he was in the first episode. People on the spectrum do change over time, it's been known to happen (I'm an example myself)

Actually... the other character's situations have evolved... sheldon is really the only character that shows personal growth... aside from howard.

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2015, 7:34 pm

Feralucce wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
No, it's the fact that the other characters have evolved over time and Sheldon hasn't. He is still the same character he was in the first episode. People on the spectrum do change over time, it's been known to happen (I'm an example myself)

Actually... the other character's situations have evolved... sheldon is really the only character that shows personal growth... aside from howard.

Raj, he used to only be able to talk in the presence of a girl when he was drunk, now he can.

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 8:14 pm

blast335 wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

Raj, he used to only be able to talk in the presence of a girl when he was drunk, now he can.

I disagree that this is personal growth... but I seek more from my characters.

ralphd
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2015, 11:53 pm

blast335 wrote:
Also sheldon doesn't do sarcasm, and when he does it is very obvious.

You just contradicted yourself.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 12:13 am

ralphd wrote:
blast335 wrote:

When has sheldon ever understood sarcasm. Never. That's consistent with the stereotypes the character promotes.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 12:32 am

PlainsAspie wrote:
ralphd wrote:
blast335 wrote:

When has sheldon ever understood sarcasm. Never. That's consistent with the stereotypes the character promotes.

Actually, in the last two seasons, he's caught it several times

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2015, 12:48 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
I agree. It's really about mocking the symptoms. hahaha he doesn't understand sarcasm. hahaha he's asexual.

I'd gove them more credit if they were honest about it instead of denying he's modeled after AS symptoms and stereotypes (much more of the latter).

Asexuality isn't a symptom but a sexual orientation (or should I say the absence of one). The only thing that bothers me about Sheldon is that people will associate autism with nerdyness. And even if this seems like a positive, it really isn't. It increases people's misunderstanding of what autism is.