Page 8 of 18 [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 1:44 am

Narrator wrote:
lol.. so true to form, David. Ignore the log in your own eye.
And just to up the anti.... I'm drinking a Corona or two
I can't drink Corona.... I don't have an appropriate tie to match.... or any of the other lah-de-dah that identifies me with the "in" crowd.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 4:24 am

Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
lol.. so true to form, David. Ignore the log in your own eye.
And just to up the anti.... I'm drinking a Corona or two
I can't drink Corona.... I don't have an appropriate tie to match.... or any of the other lah-de-dah that identifies me with the "in" crowd.

I've been drinking Corona since long before it was popular, but I do like the 'lah-de-dah' reactions it gets. lol

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 7:55 am

Oldavid wrote:
I have consistently said, and always implied, that natural science is the discovery of the workings of nature by observation, hypothesis, and experimentation. There must be a method to science or it degenerates into a mush of conjecture, assumption and superstition; as it has done in the current popularised "versions" sold entirely by media hype.

We agree. And thank you for answering. When it comes to media hype, I think it's important to distinguish between what gets reported in the media and the actual research. Reporters, including science reporters, are all about headlines and tightened up narratives. They will draw unsupported conclusions from inconclusive research in order to tighten a narrative for the article. I always go back to the original paper if possible- thanl you internet for making this easy. I am unable to understand the math in physics papers but do fine with papers that don't use math beyond statistics (the math course I did well in, unlike the others).
(wiki entry on the scientific method removed for space)

Quote:
That's simple enough; though I expect it's way more than you "Snake-oil" salesmen can understand or accept because it's inconvenient to your ideological prejudices (assumptions).

It is simple enough. Of course I understand and accept it. It doesn't conflict with my assumptions. In fact it is the basis of my assumptions.

Quote:
What popularised nonscience does (as in the example of climate "science" above) is to assume the desired "result" then "cherry-pick", or fraudulently misrepresent, or simply fabricate "observations" to suit.

What you are calling "popularised nonscience" is probably articles writen which do in fact cherry pick research. Google could probably find some. But the actual research and data are not fabricated. That's quite an accusation to claim that researchers have fabricated data to fit a narrative.

Quote:
It's painfully obvious that there is here a cadre of "Jihadists" who's mission is to eliminate any questioning of their Materialist ideology and its prophets so that no debate can ensue about any genuinely scientific issues.
Dogma #1: Everything is explained by Materialism.
Dogma #2: Anything that can't be explained by Materialism... refer to Dogma #1.

Alternatively, refer back to your own definition of science(which I agree with) that it is the discovery of the workings of nature through observation, hypothesis and experimentation. This means the supernatural is excluded. What you call jihadists are just people trying to get you to nstick to nature and stop trying to find supernatural (religious) reasons for things.

Quote:
I was rather hoping that there might be some sharp-minded and interestingly "unconventional" folk to be found on a supposedly "'spergic" forum but, once again, I am disappointed.

Perhaps the problem is that the "diagnostic tools" for diagnosing 'Spergia can't distinguish between 'Spergics and ordinary, common, garden variety, narcissists.

Anyhow*, I'll continue with the beer and direct my conversation to people who have a bit more to their knowledge base than commonplace media hype.

A whole section of insults. Not cool.

I did learn something new today.....about Australia and beer. I had no idea Corona was popular or considered a fancy beer (per the "wear a tie" remark). Perhaps that is due to expense from shipping costs? In the U.S. it's considered a laid back summer party beer. This is kicked off on May 5 of every year with Cinco de Mayo parties (where non-Mexicans inexplicably use the liberation of Mexico as a reason for Mexican themed parties with lots of Corona). It continues through summer with Corona at picnics and barbecues. People drink Corona at other times too but its' main association is with the laid back relaxation of outdoor get-togethers. It's a beach and poolside beer. The very thought of it being 'posh' in Australia is hilarious.

We also have our own warped take on Australian beer which is confined exclusively to Fosters. There was a commercial saying "Fosters, it's Australian for beer" and since it's the only Australian beer here, Americans sometimes get the impression it's the only one in Australia too, or at least the most popular.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 12:58 pm

Janissy wrote:
We also have our own warped take on Australian beer which is confined exclusively to Fosters. There was a commercial saying "Fosters, it's Australian for beer" and since it's the only Australian beer here, Americans sometimes get the impression it's the only one in Australia too, or at least the most popular

Fosters is hardly drunk here, at least not in the 3 states I have lived in. As to Corona it is a mid priced beer, but I doubt most Aussie's would regard it as fancy. But then my view on what is seen as Lah de dah is somewhat warped as I drink red wine and think most beer is crap :D , love my English Bitter though :wink:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 4:35 am

Janissy wrote:
I did learn something new today.....about Australia and beer. I had no idea Corona was popular or considered a fancy beer (per the "wear a tie" remark). Perhaps that is due to expense from shipping costs? In the U.S. it's considered a laid back summer party beer. This is kicked off on May 5 of every year with Cinco de Mayo parties (where non-Mexicans inexplicably use the liberation of Mexico as a reason for Mexican themed parties with lots of Corona). It continues through summer with Corona at picnics and barbecues. People drink Corona at other times too but its' main association is with the laid back relaxation of outdoor get-togethers. It's a beach and poolside beer. The very thought of it being 'posh' in Australia is hilarious.

We also have our own warped take on Australian beer which is confined exclusively to Fosters. There was a commercial saying "Fosters, it's Australian for beer" and since it's the only Australian beer here, Americans sometimes get the impression it's the only one in Australia too, or at least the most popular.
First things first... I don't like any of the commercial, industrially synthesised stuff that is sold as beer. Most of it tastes like weak, fizzy, cold tea with unidentifiable contaminants... except Foster's which is contaminated with musk flavoured lollies. The only really good thing to come out of "Safustraya" is the properly brewed Cooper's range of which I particularly like the stout, dark ales and bitters.
Quote:
We agree. And thank you for answering. When it comes to media hype, I think it's important to distinguish between what gets reported in the media and the actual research. Reporters, including science reporters, are all about headlines and tightened up narratives. They will draw unsupported conclusions from inconclusive research in order to tighten a narrative for the article. I always go back to the original paper if possible- thanl you internet for making this easy. I am unable to understand the math in physics papers but do fine with papers that don't use math beyond statistics (the math course I did well in, unlike the others).
I am only talking about the "actual "research"" that is produced entirely to pamper, and produce, media hype.
Quote:
What you are calling "popularised nonscience" is probably articles writen which do in fact cherry pick research. Google could probably find some. But the actual research and data are not fabricated. That's quite an accusation to claim that researchers have fabricated data to fit a narrative.
Don't take my word for it, there's a mountain of evidence that there are a great number of "scientists" out there who gladly exchange their integrity for 30 bits of popular publicity by supporting politically and ideologically driven agendas. Do your own research.
Quote:
Alternatively, refer back to your own definition of science(which I agree with) that it is the discovery of the workings of nature through observation, hypothesis and experimentation. This means the supernatural is excluded. What you call jihadists are just people trying to get you to nstick to nature and stop trying to find supernatural (religious) reasons for things.
I am not suggesting anything "supernatural"; that term has been so much abused with misuse that it's practically only used as an excuse by people playing with Ouija boards and the like, and as a term of derision by Materialists trying desperately to avoid having to consider perfectly natural metaphysical reality.

Perfectly natural, and obvious, metaphysical entities like life, intellect and will, just for starters.

It is completely impossible to recognise even the existence of a physical reality without life and intellect, most obviously.
Quote:
A whole section of insults. Not cool.
A pretty standard attempted diversion for when your bluff is effectively called.
Nope! The only use for assumptions in science is to convert it into nonscience (Snake Oil) to sell a politically or/and ideologically based agenda to the naïve and credulous.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 6:40 am

And true to form you provide no evidence for your claims.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 4:52 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:

If there is something in my "claims" that you think requires "evidence" beyond your potential observation and recollection you will itemise such, perhaps?

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 6:42 pm

Oldavid wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

If there is something in my "claims" that you think requires "evidence" beyond your potential observation and recollection you will itemise such, perhaps?

I think I itemised 15 or 16 of your "claims" on page 6, or should I say, your "subjective assumptions."

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 1:33 am

Oh David maybe you are a figment of Joseph Heller's imagination as you seem to be a conflation of several characters from Catch 22.

you have been asked to provide evidence for several specific comments you have made.

You refused to falsify my explanation of why you were wrong on entopy instead you wrote this

Oldavid wrote:
I can't, Arty, because I'm too afraid to look into a microscope and see the diatoms turning themselves into dinosaurs and I can't examine all the thousands of generations of fruit flies that have been irradiated with every imaginable radiation because they've turned themselves into spacemen, built spaceships, and gone off to colonise other worlds in the farthest reaches of the Universe.

I'm also too afraid to start my motor car in case it sucks energy out of the Sun and overflows the petrol tank all over the road causing a traffic hazard; or maybe, worse still, it might suck energy out of the Sun and assemble itself into a spaceship and dump me on the Moon without any food, or water, or air.

The world is a very scary place now that you've abolished entropy.

So once more I will try again. Please provide empirical evidence for the above statement.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 1:51 am

Narrator wrote:
I think I itemised 15 or 16 of your "claims" on page 6, or should I say, your "subjective assumptions."
Your list of "15 or16" straw men arguments have nothing at all to do with assumptions in science. It's just a diversion hoping to intimidate me and bluff others into thinking that any disagreement with fad nonscience is ipso facto invalid.

Merely rubbishing your incoherence does not represent a scientific or philosophical "claim".

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 4:12 am

Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Your list of "15 or16" straw men arguments have nothing at all to do with assumptions in science. It's just a diversion hoping to intimidate me and bluff others into thinking that any disagreement with fad nonscience is ipso facto invalid.

Merely rubbishing your incoherence does not represent a scientific or philosophical "claim".

Let's be clear. Science cannot be proven one way or another in a forum such as this. But we do have something that can be proven... here and on this forum. We have the evidence that proves absolutely your propensity for subjective assumptions. That much is beyond doubt. You asked for evidence and I gave it. It's as simple as that. That places anything you say on the quicksand of subjectivity. Your views on the topic (perhaps on any topic) will be subjective because you just can't help yourself.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 3:50 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Oh David maybe you are a figment of Joseph Heller's imagination as you seem to be a conflation of several characters from Catch 22.

you have been asked to provide evidence for several specific comments you have made.

You refused to falsify my explanation of why you were wrong on entopy. So once more I will try again. Please provide empirical evidence for the above statement.
What will you take for evidence? Is the mere fact that nature only works on entropy and no observations that contradict the entropic process (that no physical, chemical, mechanical, biological, electrical, etc. process can ever take place without a movement from a higher potential or order to a lower) or has ever been produced in any experiment, no matter how complicated, is not "evidence" to you?

Biological processes are a particularly interesting kind of entropic process, but we can't even begin to talk about that without, at least, a reasonable platform of certainty to work from.

Is my rubbishing your silly, unfounded assertion that the mere input of energy (from the Sun) somehow produces "anti-entropy" invalidated simply because it is inconsistent with your ideological assumptions?

Let me do it again: take a "closed system": (say a test tube) containing all the chemicals that make up a typical rabbit and supply energy from outside that system (shaking, electrical sparks, heat, light, and any other kind of EMR you like) and you claim that it will spontaneously turn itself into a typical live rabbit if you wait long enough.

However, we ordinary people who are "unenlightened" with nonscience ideological esoterica would confidently predict, with our intuitive grasp of entropy, that if you take a perfectly live, healthy typical rabbit and put it into your "closed system" and give it the treatment you will very smartly get a very dead rabbit that will eventually degrade into the simplest, lowest energy and order, chemical components.

Obviously not "empirical evidence" because I didn't do the experiment under your nose... maybe you should do it yourself.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 4:14 pm

Oldavid wrote:
Is my rubbishing your silly, unfounded assertion that the mere input of energy (from the Sun) somehow produces "anti-entropy" invalidated simply because it is inconsistent with your ideological assumptions?

The sun provides energy. I don't know why you call that "mere" since it does provide the energy that powers all life on earth.

http://physics.gmu.edu/~roerter/EvolutionEntropy.htm

Quote:
The second law of thermodynamics (the law of increase of entropy) is sometimes used as an argument against evolution. Evolution, the argument goes, is a decrease of entropy, because it involves things getting more organized over time, while the second law says that things get more disordered over time. So evolution violates the second law.

There are many things wrong with this argument, and it has been discussed ad infinitum. A summary of the arguments on both sides can be found on the links at www.talkorigins.org/faqs/thermo.html. These discussions never seem to involve any numerical calculations. This is unfortunate, since a very simple calculation shows that it is physically impossible for evolution to violate the second law of thermodynamics.

It is important to note that the earth is not an isolated system: it receives energy from the sun, and radiates energy back into space. The second law doesn't claim that the entropy of any part of a system increases: if it did, ice would never form and vapor would never condense, since both of those processes involve a decrease of entropy. Rather, the second law says that the total entropy of the whole system must increase. Any decrease of entropy (like the water freezing into ice cubes in your freezer) must be compensated by an increase in entropy elsewhere (the heat released into your kitchen by the refrigerator).

Quote:
Let me do it again: take a "closed system": (say a test tube) containing all the chemicals that make up a typical rabbit and supply energy from outside that system (shaking, electrical sparks, heat, light, and any other kind of EMR you like) and you claim that it will spontaneously turn itself into a typical live rabbit if you wait long enough.

Can you wait 4 billion years? And keep adding energy? And make it a very big test tube so that pre-mammalian forms of life can evolve prior? What you are describing is a take on the Miller Urey experiment, discussed to death in the other thread. And that experiment did indeed produce amino acids.

Quote:
However, we ordinary people who are "unenlightened" with nonscience ideological esoterica would confidently predict, with our intuitive grasp of entropy, that if you take a perfectly live, healthy typical rabbit and put it into your "closed system" and give it the treatment you will very smartly get a very dead rabbit that will eventually degrade into the simplest, lowest energy and order, chemical components.

Obviously not "empirical evidence" because I didn't do the experiment under your nose... maybe you should do it yourself.

If you seal a rabbit in a flask (after first killing all bacteria on and in it) it will die and dissolve. In a closed system. With no energy added. But this is not analogous to earth. Earth isn't a closed system.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 7:10 pm

David I gave you specific instances which refute your ideas on entropy and you have addressed non of them. Instead all you have done is repeat your original idea as if no refutation had occurred, so, once again:

Without bluster, hyperbole and unsubstantiated calls to authority please, as you have stated you can, falsify my rebuttal

DentArthurDent wrote:
I really don't think you get it, you do not seem to understand the full nature of the amount of energy coming from the sun nor the amount of energy required for the evolution of all life on this planet. I can furnish you with the maths if you like, but essentially the the amount of entropy for all lifeforms on the planet would be around -302 j/ks yet the amount of energy throughput coming into the system from the sun is around 420 x 10 to the power of 12 J/Ks. In short your argument is nonsense. Areas of the universe can decrease in entropy so long as other areas increase by a greater amount, entropy is not universal in the sense of the a steady increase throughout all areas of the universe. Another canard you are guilty of is to assume evolution is all about increased complexity, it is not, it is about adaptability. And on a final note it's also necessary to deal with the canard that entropy equals 'disorder'. This is a non-rigorous view of entropy that scientists engaged in precise work discarded some time ago. Not least because there are documented examples of systems that have a precisely calculated entropy increase after spontaneously self-organising into well-defined structures. Phospholipids are the classic example of such a system - a suspension of phospholipids in aqueous solution will spontaneously self-assemble into structures such as micelles, bilayer sheets and liposomes upon receiving an energy input consisting of nothing more than gentle agitation. To Quote a paper from 1998

Gentle Force Of Entropy Bridges Disciplines by David Kestenbaum, Science, 279: 1849 (20th March 1998)
Kestenbaum, 1998 wrote:Normally, entropy is a force of disorder rather than organization. But physicists have recently explored the ways in which an increase in entropy in one part of a system can force another part into greater order. The findings have rekindled speculation that living cells might take advantage of this little-known trick of physics.

And from wikibooks:Structural Biochemistry/Lipids/Micelles

Micelles form spontaneously in water, as stated above this spontaneous arrangement is due to the amphipatic nature of the molecule. The driving force for this arrangement is the hydrophobic interactions the molecules experience. When the hydrophobic tails are not sequestered from water this results in in the water forming an organized cage around the hydrophobic tail and this entropy is unfavorable. However, when the lipids form micelles the hydrophobic tails interact with each other, and this interaction releases water from the hydrophobic tail and this increases the disorder of the system, and this is increase in entropy is favorable

Entropy and evolution Daniel F. Styera

The common canard amongst YECS and OEC alike is that evolution always moves forward in greater complexity. This is not so. Evolution moves in whatever direction the environment pushes it.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 7:26 pm

Oldavid wrote:

Such a typical nonscience example of making science look like magic. Science never claims that a whole species will spontaneously appear, whether the system is open or closed.

Your example also fails to take into account the billions of years from the first forming of an amino acid and each progressive step thereafter.

A nonscientist has no grasp of time scales over billions of years and is easily conned by nonscience into a spontaneous rabbit cliche. Is that the trouble you're having David?

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 7:46 pm

Oldavid wrote:
You bods can get as sanctimonious as you like; it will not make me forget or ignore all the natural science and philosophy I've been practically obsessed with for many years... ever since I was logically forced, kicking and screaming, into the exact opposite journey Narrator describes of himself.

Yes, it was an emotional journey for me too... the kicking and screaming - metaphorically of course. And yet, though we have been on the same journey and arriving at opposite ends of the debate, which of us has been proven to consistently make subjective assumptions?

In my journey, David, the biggest lesson I learned was not about the veracity of the information. It was that I am vulnerable to my own subjectivity. I was not open to being wrong. So in that sense also, you and I have arrived at opposite ends.