Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:09 pm

Does anyone else have these? I've been having them since I was about 12 years old.

What happens during once is I tend to blank out for a moment, forget where I am and what I'm doing and everything just feels unreal. It's like I'm transported to another world or stuck in a dream, it's weird to explain. I generally have more of them when I'm super stressed or in a very panicky situation, though at times I can go for months without having one.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 12:53 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
Does anyone else have these? I've been having them since I was about 12 years old.

What happens during once is I tend to blank out for a moment, forget where I am and what I'm doing and everything just feels unreal. It's like I'm transported to another world or stuck in a dream, it's weird to explain. I generally have more of them when I'm super stressed or in a very panicky situation, though at times I can go for months without having one.

I was very lucky in that I grew out of them. I used to have absence seizures when I was just a toddler. I don't have them anymore.

The thing is that I thought the seizure auras that I saw during absence were the only thing that was wrong. I'd start seeing colours and I wouldn't realize I was blanked out at the time. To everyone else I was just staring into space unconscious but from my perspective I was just seeing coloured blobs.

My memory of my first seizure is also wrong. My parents say my first seizure happened when was walking to the bathroom and then I suddenly stopped in my tracks, blanked out, and soiled myself.

What I remember (this memory never actually happened) is that we were eating dinner and I went to the basement for some reason and I saw lights that nobody else could see and I kept trying to point out the lights but nobody acknowledged that they were there. Then someone said in a panicky voice "oh no she's having a seizure" and that's the last thing I remember.

The way I remember my seizures is very different from how my parents remember them but I definitely had seizures. When filling out forms that ask for it I write "past history of epilepsy". I'm not currently suffering from it but my history might be relevant.