Are you a child of God? Will you be God’s master or slave?

Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 9:34 pm

Aghogday regarding your last post for once we stand in complete agreement with each other. As well as your post on the various types of intelligence.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:11 pm

Grommit wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

I have hard choice for you.

You are alone in a safety raft that holds two people and are careening down the river after a larger boat sank.
You are heading towards a man and his wife who will drown if you do not act and give your place to either one or two of them. Which of you three will die?

Regards
DL

Well if it was me in the 2 man boat, probably all three of us would die because if I tried to save them I would probably fall out of the boat, I would probably be wondering what ever possessed me to get in a boat in such heavy rapids. The possibilities are actually infinite depending on the surroundings, heck I would have probably sailed right passed them just wondering what it was I was going to do.

How about you?

I believe in the law of the sea. Women and children first.

The woman and I would live.

I would live because of my wife. If my wife was dead, Then I would give my place to the husband.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:15 pm

Janissy wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
I have hard choice for you.

You are alone in a safety raft that holds two people and are careening down the river after a larger boat sank.
You are heading towards a man and his wife who will drown if you do not act and give your place to either one or two of them. Which of you three will die?

Regards
DL

These "who lives/who dies" dilemmas are always presented as an ethical choice between who lives and who dies. But I have always preferred to re-frame them as a pragmatic dilemma, specifically, "how can I change this situation so nobody dies?". Is it not moral to think outside the box and go for choices other than the two presented to you? Human morality seems to have progressed quite a lot by rejecting false dilemmas ("you have to choose either this or that, there is no third choice") and finding novel solutions.

The problem doesn't have to be "who lives and who dies?" It can just as easily be "how do you save 3 people in a 2 person boat?" Solution: by having 1 person in the boat and 2 holding onto either side while in the water- this balances. Think outside the box. It's the moral thing to do.

Sure, but then, as here, we would not have a moral decision and would learn nothing except that you cannot answer a simple moral question.

Regards
DL

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 5:59 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Aghogday regarding your last post for once we stand in complete agreement with each other. As well as your post on the various types of intelligence.

Thanks DentArthurDent; I missed this comment until now. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 8:26 pm

I see a lot of arrogance from the OP. Sorry, but you are not a god and neither am I.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 7:34 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
I see a lot of arrogance from the OP. Sorry, but you are not a god and neither am I.

Humility is a cop out for those who have not done there homework.

Regards
DL