Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

swashyrose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2015, 6:31 am

Since my bipolar became apparent I've been able to observe my own mild manic phase lately, I'm more productive and ambitious with my art, more capable of optimism. On the down side I'm much more agitated and anxious, and I keep getting exhausted. This is also the kind of time I find I'm very easily amused and sing a lot, I actually have fun, albeit a sort of intense, nervous fun.

I feel like clinging so tightly to these rare 'ups' in my life. If they are in fact a mere manic phase, wouldn't taking medication meant to remove mania also remove my creativity, passion and fun?

I've been reading quite a few things saying that yes, people's creativity has been affected but you should still take meds on behalf of your family and loved ones, who are affected especially by your lows.

I'd say two huge aspects of what I'm about are:
I'm an artist
I love my family and hate burdening them.

I hate to think I have to choose on of the above :(

G0L1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2015, 1:52 pm

Now I'm on Depakine for mood stabilization and it makes me drowsy. However, my physician insists on prescribing it. My main problem is concentration and meds are not working for this issue so far. I'm also on Bupropion and Abilify. Anyway, I'm not sure I've given you an exact answer, sorry.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 8:32 am

swashyrose wrote:
Since my bipolar became apparent I've been able to observe my own mild manic phase lately, I'm more productive and ambitious with my art, more capable of optimism. On the down side I'm much more agitated and anxious, and I keep getting exhausted. This is also the kind of time I find I'm very easily amused and sing a lot, I actually have fun, albeit a sort of intense, nervous fun.

I feel like clinging so tightly to these rare 'ups' in my life. If they are in fact a mere manic phase, wouldn't taking medication meant to remove mania also remove my creativity, passion and fun?

I've been reading quite a few things saying that yes, people's creativity has been affected but you should still take meds on behalf of your family and loved ones, who are affected especially by your lows.

I'm an artist

You won't know until you give it a trial run. If you take the meds it's not forever if you don't want it to be. Your creativity may remain unaffected but your down moods may go away. There are many people on mood stabilizers that are thankful for them.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 7:21 pm

I don't trust the Psychiatric-Industry. I do not trust that the Psycho-Actives actually function as claimed. From my research, psycho-tropic drugs are addictively poisonous-substances, and whether your eating healthily or believe that you have any hope in your life has more to do with your emotions & mental-health. The way I view psycho-tropics is that they're like heroine/cocaine, sure, one can feel better under its influence, but that is more for stopping its withdrawal-symptoms, thus making it more indicative of an addiction to the drug rather than treating any real problems.

structrix wrote:
swashyrose wrote:

I'm an artist

You won't know until you give it a trial run. If you take the meds it's not forever if you don't want it to be. Your creativity may remain unaffected but your down moods may go away. There are many people on mood stabilizers that are thankful for them.

I was trying to quote someone with regards to the Aspie thing & wanted to mention that Asperger's Syndrome has actually been completely removed from the DSM ever since version V came out. Asperger's Syndrome no longer exists apparently. I also hope that more people get informed about the real facts regarding the psychiatric-industry (one comprehensive source of information being http://www.cchr.org/). Several books also expose the myths of the psychiatric-industry that I shall link here...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0230574319/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0977307506/
http://www.amazon.com/Loss-Sadness-Psyc ... 195313046/
http://www.amazon.com/Rethinking-Psychi ... 420867423/
http://www.amazon.com/Blaming-Brain-Tru ... 743237870/

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 9:04 pm

Ban-Dodger,

If those "withdrawal" symptoms are the same as those you had that got you put on the meds in the first place, then that is generally considered to be a return of the symptoms of the illness and not actual withdrawal symptoms.

Anyway, I recommend you read the blog below. It is by a psychiatrist who I think can validate your beliefs regarding bad practices in psychiatry, but who ultimately rejects antipsychiatry.

http://davidmallenmd.blogspot.com

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 9:59 pm

structrix wrote:
If you take the meds it's not forever if you don't want it to be.

I heard that same line, too. Eleven years after cessation of meds and my tardive dyskinesia hasn't gone away.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 7:50 am

RhodyStruggle wrote:
structrix wrote:

I heard that same line, too. Eleven years after cessation of meds and my tardive dyskinesia hasn't gone away.

I think in the package insert it says tardive dyskenesia can be permanent.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 10:20 am

structrix wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:
structrix wrote:

Which apparently isn't enough to keep "well-intentioned" people like doctors, parents, and you from claiming otherwise. If you can't hold a pencil or brush steady for the rest of your life because of a permanent side-effect, then the claim that "it's not forever" is patently false.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 10:39 am

RhodyStruggle wrote:
structrix wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:
structrix wrote:

Which apparently isn't enough to keep "well-intentioned" people like doctors, parents, and you from claiming otherwise. If you can't hold a pencil or brush steady for the rest of your life because of a permanent side-effect, then the claim that "it's not forever" is patently false.

For your information, I take an anti-psychotic (hence why I know about the package insert ) and I do not have tardive dyskenesia. Just because you got it doesn't mean EVERYONE else will and to tell people to not take a drug because you particularly had a bad side effect does not discount the efficacy in other individuals.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 10:58 am

structrix wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:
structrix wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:
structrix wrote:

For your information, I take an anti-psychotic (hence why I know about the package insert ) and I do not have tardive dyskenesia. Just because you got it doesn't mean EVERYONE else will and to tell people to not take a drug because you particularly had a bad side effect does not discount the efficacy in other individuals.

I didn't tell anyone to take or not take anything though.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 7:55 pm

Your physician (as are most if not all promoters of mind-altering psycho-actives) is ignorant.

G0L1 wrote:
Now I'm on Depakine for mood stabilization and it makes me drowsy. However, my physician insists on prescribing it. My main problem is concentration and meds are not working for this issue so far. I'm also on Bupropion and Abilify. Anyway, I'm not sure I've given you an exact answer, sorry.

You are better off practicing meditation (stilling your mind) under qualified guidance (such as from a genuine Tai Chi master [and not those fakes who pretend to be masters]) rather than consuming those poisons if you need to develop concentration-ability. I have to ask, though, what are the foods you normally eat, and where do you get your nourishment ? How long have you been on psyco-tropic prescriptions ? I think you should get informed. I would trust a Dr. Peter Breggin over any of these drug-pushers, but beware of quitting cold-turkey if you've been on those drugs for any significant length-of-time, for the withdrawal-symptoms from psycho-tropics are acutally quite severe.

Hopefully you'll be able to get off of that stuff safely but you really need to do your research before making any sudden moves that might cause the drugs to take control over you. Please be informed...

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 8:20 pm

RhodyStruggle wrote:
structrix wrote:

Antipsychotics can cause tardive dyskinesia. Mood stabilizers do not. Completely different situation. The side effects of mood stabilizers do not persist after you stop taking the medication.

G0L1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Apr 2015, 3:36 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Your physician (as are most if not all promoters of mind-altering psycho-actives) is ignorant.
G0L1 wrote:

You are better off practicing meditation (stilling your mind) under qualified guidance (such as from a genuine Tai Chi master [and not those fakes who pretend to be masters]) rather than consuming those poisons if you need to develop concentration-ability. I have to ask, though, what are the foods you normally eat, and where do you get your nourishment ? How long have you been on psyco-tropic prescriptions ? I think you should get informed. I would trust a Dr. Peter Breggin over any of these drug-pushers, but beware of quitting cold-turkey if you've been on those drugs for any significant length-of-time, for the withdrawal-symptoms from psycho-tropics are acutally quite severe.

Hopefully you'll be able to get off of that stuff safely but you really need to do your research before making any sudden moves that might cause the drugs to take control over you. Please be informed...

Thank you for your concerns. It's been a while that I'm on meds and the foods are OK. Mood stabilizer that I'm using is working fine for my Bipolar condition (by lowering the amplitude of mood oscillations) but it does have side effects that I mentioned one. However, after a couple of sessions, my physician added another pill for the case of concentration, and it's working very well. I'm not against pills or any pharmaceutical treatments, but your suggestion for getting help from a guru, is impossible for me. As they say, "I don't like the drugs but the drugs like me", and "If you meet Buddha on the road, kill him!".

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 5:30 pm

I got something to add that I've recently come across...

G0L1 wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
G0L1 wrote:

Thank you for your concerns. It's been a while that I'm on meds and the foods are OK. Mood stabilizer that I'm using is working fine for my Bipolar condition (by lowering the amplitude of mood oscillations) but it does have side effects that I mentioned one. However, after a couple of sessions, my physician added another pill for the case of concentration, and it's working very well. I'm not against pills or any pharmaceutical treatments, but your suggestion for getting help from a guru, is impossible for me. As they say, "I don't like the drugs but the drugs like me", and "If you meet Buddha on the road, kill him!".

IMPORTANT: ...I need to do a paradigm-update after recently just learning about this TED talk...

Quoting comments made in response to the video of the TED Talk that I feel are of most relevance...
Caroline Lala wrote:
It would have been great if he had said how to fix this problem and what the basic process would be. It's obvious that each person's solution has to be tailored but other than just brain scans most likely via MRI or CT scans, I would like to know more about how they would go about this, especially if they have gained major grounds. This could help out society immensely. Cheers to advances in medicine.
Elisa K wrote:
Read The Mood Cure. It outlines the cure. Check out the reviews on Amazon and buy the cheap amino acids that rebuild the brain. Pharma doesn't want you to fix your brain because it is a major money maker for the industry. The Mood Cure - and the Amen Clinics - heal the brain.

I am going to be posting this to every one of my threads due to its methodologies being able to potentially turn psychiatry from the way it's currently practiced from a pseudo-science into an actual, real, genuine science !

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 11:41 am

Ettina wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:
structrix wrote:

Antipsychotics can cause tardive dyskinesia. Mood stabilizers do not.

Tardive dyskinesia was reported as an adverse reaction by more than 1% but not more than 5% of 89 Depakote-treated patients in controlled clinical trials (i.e. between two and five).

http://www.rxlist.com/depakote-side-eff ... center.htm

Ettina wrote:
The side effects of mood stabilizers do not persist after you stop taking the medication.

That's interesting. I'm sure that my doctor, who after running every test he could think of, and a few more that I suggested, costing me several thousand dollars out of pocket in addition to what my insurance covered, eventually concluded that the Trileptal I was prescribed as a mood stabilizer in my youth is a likely candidate as the cause of my male infertility, will take your no-doubt authoritative medical opinion on the side effects of mood stabilizers under consideration.