If Immortality were an option, what would you choose?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Which of these types of immortality would you choose?
Poll ended at 09 Apr 2015, 2:20 pm
Chris Lambert in Highlander. 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Johnny Depp in Transcendence. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I would not like immortality because mother earth can't handle the extra strain. 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
I would like to spend eternity in God's presence. Spending eternity in God's presence would be the ultimate. I would also like to visit my friends, family and house pets. 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
I would like to replace god since he is incompetent. I would then set about fixing some of his more heinous oversights, and deliberate sadism 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I would like to kill god and take his place. I would then embark on my own sadistic reign that will make god's sadistic reign look like Little House on the Prairie (The one without all the serial killers, obviously). 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Continuity of consciousness is an illusion. Over a lifetime, every cell in our brain is replaced several times over and dualism is a fantasy, so to talk about immortality or even drastically extended life spans as if it might happen is ignorant. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Something else. 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 20

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

Many believe that drastically increased lifespans are just around the corner. If true, this could lead to several interesting futures. If you had the choice, which kind of immortality would you choose?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 6:29 pm

I don't want to die and have the worms eat me.

I want to live forever.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 8:39 pm

I chose "other".

If I could undergo rejuvenation every 20 or so years, or a Whovian "Regeneration" every time illness or injury threatens my life, I could go for that.

Reincarnating with my identity and memories intact could be interesting too.

Spending eternity in paradise with an all-loving God seems to be the best option, though.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 12:57 am

Being a god could get lonely.

I would choose heaven. First it needs to be built. Then it can be seeded throughout all of space and time so that all of the people who ever lived will be able to use it too.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 1:44 am

I'm happy with life and death as they are right now.

Change nothing. :heart:

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 2:00 am

You have not considered how awesome it will be to merge with technology and live forever. You will get a new body made of millions of nanobots and you can turn into a dinosaur, and the world will be covered with robot Brontosaurus and Velociraptor, trucks and jet planes with lasers. All of this will be much more exciting and visually interesting than what we have now.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 4:52 am

People would get used to that, soon enough. They already don't think it amazing that we have Communication Stones that allow us to talk to anyone in the world, or Light Orbs which can banish the night, or various potions which can heal diseases.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 7:19 am

Immortality only if it also applies to my wife and daughter. And do I age but live forever (which would suck), or would I stay my current age, or even become young again?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 8:49 am

Quote:
If Immortality were an option, what would you choose?

well i will address each option.

Quote:
Chris Lambert in Highlander.

no. i do not know who he is, and therefore would be condemned to an eternity of identity crises if i was him forever.

Quote:
Johnny Depp in Transcendence.

no. i do not like depp, and i do not know the movie "transcendence". movies go for no more than 4 hours, so if i was eternally a character in a movie, my life would repeat itself every 4 hours. the movie "groundhog day" was entertaining to see once, but to have to see it over and over for ever would be a second dimension of the plot.

Quote:
I would not like immortality because mother earth can't handle the extra strain.

i am a component of "mother earth". i do not divorce myself from it to feel as if i was a burden on it.

Quote:
I would like to spend eternity in God's presence. Spending eternity in God's presence would be the ultimate. I would also like to visit my friends, family and house pets.

well maybe. as long as i can be sure i would never do anything wrong in order to get myself cast out. but to have a niggling doubt that i may not be perfect enough to never fall away from grace would be unsettling.

Quote:
I would like to replace god since he is incompetent. I would then set about fixing some of his more heinous oversights, and deliberate sadism

incompetence would not exist if the universe did not exist. incompetence is a factor of existence. for me to presume that god is incompetent is to be blind to the reality of creation.

Quote:
I would like to kill god and take his place. I would then embark on my own sadistic reign that will make god's sadistic reign look like Little House on the Prairie (The one without all the serial killers, obviously).

heh.

Quote:
Continuity of consciousness is an illusion. Over a lifetime, every cell in our brain is replaced several times over and dualism is a fantasy, so to talk about immortality or even drastically extended life spans as if it might happen is ignorant.

the fact that we remain our essential selves despite the total replacement of our brain cells indicates that who we are is not a fabric of neurons.

Quote:
Something else.

i suppose.

i would like to live forever with the clause that i could opt out at any time.
if i was done with existence in the distant future and i had seen enough, then i would be horrified to know that i will be conscious forever and see the universe disintegrate over quadrillions of years.....and still remain conscious of nothing forever after that. by george what a nightmare.

however, if at some point i realize that there will be another big bang due to convergence, then i may think "this will be interesting" as i consider watching the unfolding of a brand new universe.

it is too large a question for mew to consider. i am mortal and do not have any of those options available to me.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 8:54 pm

b9 wrote:

i would like to live forever with the clause that i could opt out at any time.

Nope, that's cheating!

Then it would not be immortality, just an extended mortality.

By the way, what you said is part of the reason why I would not choose immortality. I have also learned to embrace and love the ebb, flow, and harmony of the natural world, and see the cycle of life and death as essential parts to a greater whole.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 2:42 am

Highlander is about a group of immortals who must dual to the death with swords. The last alive gets ultimate wisdom and is allowed to age and die normally. Now to think of it, this scenario is not apt to this discussion at all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 2:31 am

just your standard garden variety eternal heaven would be fine with me :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 2:52 am

auntblabby wrote:
just your standard garden variety eternal heaven would be fine with me :)

Second that!
But seriously, who'd want The Highlander version of immortality? You kill all other immortals so you can... know everything, but die like any mortal. If I was one of those guys, I'd try convincing the others to just live and let live, then they all get to live forever!

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 3:01 am

Heaven really is the most ideal.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 9:26 pm

The world is already much too overpopulated. Unless people are forced into not breeding the world will be soon drained of its resources and become a dead, lifeless ball of dirt. Who wants to live forever in a world like that? Who wants to live in it at all?

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 9:35 pm

I chose highlander, but without all the killing.
I want to know what will happen in 200 years.
Will we be traveling the galaxy?
Will we have found how to warp space-time?
Will we still be fighting each other?
Will there be an end to reality TV?

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.