In what ways do you think autistic people should be treated

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 3:57 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

But there aren't aides/assistants/special accommodations in life nor most workplaces. If students are dependent on special treatment at school & then they graduate and head out into the real world.. how are they going to cope? Probably not very well.

IMO, those that can do w/o any special treatment at school should go without it in order to best prepare themselves for the real world of work and competition.

Hence the reason many people with disabilities cannot hold a job to sustain themselves...people are supposed to just transcend that with no effort on the part of society to perhaps meet in the middle, and that creates an obnoxious dis-balance. And do define 'the real world' ...also apparently having no support or acknowledgment of having a disability/struggles associated with a condition doesn't do a great job of preparing people to function in 'the real world' either. But I doubt this real world is a concrete stagnant thing that cannot be altered in any way over time to better fit the people within it.

Like I couldn't hold a job or sustain myself for a few years. I've lived it, I get it. But I did everything I could about it and am now functioning much better in daily life/work etc. The world isn't going to change to accommodate ASD people who don't fit in & are perceived as rude or idiots. We have to do everything in our own power to fit in as best as possible in order to make it in this world for ourselves.

"The real world" = work & life outside of school. Having minimal/no support forces people to adapt and learn to get along with the rest of the world and be self sufficient vs. depending on support staff to get you through.. because there aren't going to be support aides in the real world outside of school.

Somehow I doubt that the world is going to change to be completely ASD friendly. ASD people are the odd ones out. The majority won't make an extraordinary effort to accommodate the minority. Most people will just perceive ASD people as rude/idiots/weird etc. We can't control or change the rest of the world. We can only improve ourselves in order to better fit into the rest of the world.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 4:25 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

But there aren't aides/assistants/special accommodations in life nor most workplaces. If students are dependent on special treatment at school & then they graduate and head out into the real world.. how are they going to cope? Probably not very well.

IMO, those that can do w/o any special treatment at school should go without it in order to best prepare themselves for the real world of work and competition.

Hence the reason many people with disabilities cannot hold a job to sustain themselves...people are supposed to just transcend that with no effort on the part of society to perhaps meet in the middle, and that creates an obnoxious dis-balance. And do define 'the real world' ...also apparently having no support or acknowledgment of having a disability/struggles associated with a condition doesn't do a great job of preparing people to function in 'the real world' either. But I doubt this real world is a concrete stagnant thing that cannot be altered in any way over time to better fit the people within it.

Like I couldn't hold a job or sustain myself for a few years. I've lived it, I get it. But I did everything I could about it and am now functioning much better in daily life/work etc. The world isn't going to change to accommodate ASD people who don't fit in & are perceived as rude or idiots. We have to do everything in our own power to fit in as best as possible in order to make it in this world for ourselves.

"The real world" = work & life outside of school. Having minimal/no support forces people to adapt and learn to get along with the rest of the world and be self sufficient vs. depending on support staff to get you through.. because there aren't going to be support aides in the real world outside of school.

Somehow I doubt that the world is going to change to be completely ASD friendly. ASD people are the odd ones out. The majority won't make an extraordinary effort to accommodate the minority. Most people will just perceive ASD people as rude/idiots/weird etc. We can't control or change the rest of the world. We can only improve ourselves in order to better fit into the rest of the world.

Well then no reason to accommodate 'the real world' why should I waste all my energy trying to fit in if society has no desire to meet people who don't fit in half way or even a quarter of the way unless of course they don't fit in due to something like bullying but in this culture that is acceptable behavior :roll: that is one thing that is similar about school and the real world as far as I can tell. And like I said it has not forced me to do anything of the sort and I doubt support staff would have been helpful in my case but perhaps sensory sensativities could have been taken into account, instead of being in on the ostracism and bullying teachers/school staff could have attempted to discourage that behavior. As I've probably mentioned before I do not think becoming well adjusted to a profoundly sick society is an 'improvement' If that is the goal of self improvement I want nothing to do with it.

pj4990
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2015, 4:32 am

Don't assume that just because their grades are good and they're not disrupting learning for other people, everything is fine.

snufkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2015, 3:17 pm

I have a firm belief that everyone, diagnosed or otherwise, should get the accomodations they need in order to be able to complete their studies, no more, no less.

In cases where there is a diagnosis, there should be accomodations ONLY if needed. I do NOT think you should be put in a special class just because you're diagnosed with (for example) aspergers. I do however think that you should have the possibility if you need it. Same thing in a regular class. If you need certain accomodations, there should be nothing to stop you from getting them, because you deserve to have the same opportunity to learn as everyone else.

Of course it would be ideal if you could manage school without any special help, because that'll make it easier to navigate life after school, but if you actually need the help, that may not be an option. Also, not everyone is suited for a regular job, and some might need accomodations in the workplace as well. This is not impossible, but it demands an open minded, flexible employer.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 3:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well then no reason to accommodate 'the real world' why should I waste all my energy trying to fit in if society has no desire to meet people who don't fit in half way or even a quarter of the way unless of course they don't fit in due to something like bullying but in this culture that is acceptable behavior :roll: that is one thing that is similar about school and the real world as far as I can tell. And like I said it has not forced me to do anything of the sort and I doubt support staff would have been helpful in my case but perhaps sensory sensativities could have been taken into account, instead of being in on the ostracism and bullying teachers/school staff could have attempted to discourage that behavior. As I've probably mentioned before I do not think becoming well adjusted to a profoundly sick society is an 'improvement' If that is the goal of self improvement I want nothing to do with it.

So, you recognize there are similar social constructs in the real world as school.. and didn't enjoy school.. but have no desire to change yourself to better fit into society.. then I guess just do as you've always done and get as you've always gotten then if that's your choice. Personally, I see no point in continuing to repeat behaviour and actions that are giving one an undesirable effect. As with anything in business, you identify the problem & solve it via change/improvements, and then reap the rewards of doing so. I'd rather make positive changes that help me get along better with the world around me and be more successful in all of my goals vs. be bitter and frustrated, but that's just me. YMMV.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2015, 3:35 pm

I actually can't believe I'm gonna side with goldfish on this one... but I am. At least leaning towards him. Not that I agree with his "survival of the fittest" ideology either, but you get my drift.

For me, they thought autism was a disability. I don't think of it as one. In fact, I enjoy my "disability" because it gives me a lot of perks and abilities that many lack. I never understood why I needed more help with things when others that really legitimately do need help with things don't get it just because they aren't autistic or any other "learning disability" (LOL!).

My experience with Special ED has been incredibly negative. This included being treated like an inferior (if not, a robot), being put on services that not only failed to help me but actually hampered me, and developing an inferiority complex (and eventually) PTSD due to all of the stigma and applied behavior analysis. The accommodations mostly served to either bother or embarrass me. In the end, I realized it was trying to force me into a system I would NOT be a part of.

Look, I'm NOT advocating for just putting people in the system without help. My argument is that I find "integration" to really be more segregating. I was NOT treated with any respect at most of my IEP meetings, nor given dignity by teachers.

That's all I have to say.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 8:51 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

So, you recognize there are similar social constructs in the real world as school.. and didn't enjoy school.. but have no desire to change yourself to better fit into society.. then I guess just do as you've always done and get as you've always gotten then if that's your choice. Personally, I see no point in continuing to repeat behaviour and actions that are giving one an undesirable effect. As with anything in business, you identify the problem & solve it via change/improvements, and then reap the rewards of doing so. I'd rather make positive changes that help me get along better with the world around me and be more successful in all of my goals vs. be bitter and frustrated, but that's just me. YMMV.

Yes of course I recognize similar social constructs in the real world as in school, though at least now I am not stuck in a building with a bunch of other people so I can just not interact with those who would ostracize or bully me, much better...I often times wished I could have been enrolled in bigger schools so there would have been more diversity among students and I might have had a chance to form a circle of friends or something but maybe it would have been just as bad in bigger schools to.

But yeah I really don't have any desire to change myself to better fit into society...I have desires to change certain things about myself that I dislike, find embarrassing or worry can negatively effect others but its not about fitting into society better no self improvements I'd like to make come from any desire to better fit into society that is for sure. I am all for positive changes that help me deal with things....but as far as society is concerned positive changes need to be made to it I do not think any change I make to better fit into society would be a positive change.

Also I do not do as I have always done, I have made plenty of changes have tried plenty of different things or approaches to various things...and my life still has not gotten any better over-all. Also though I am not the one who bullied and ostracized myself for being different, I didn't cause the trauma that gave me PTSD most problems...you seem to think people cannot possibly have problems that aren't somehow directly caused by their own behavior.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 9:06 pm

Hansgrohe wrote:
I actually can't believe I'm gonna side with goldfish on this one... but I am. At least leaning towards him. Not that I agree with his "survival of the fittest" ideology either, but you get my drift.

For me, they thought autism was a disability. I don't think of it as one. In fact, I enjoy my "disability" because it gives me a lot of perks and abilities that many lack. I never understood why I needed more help with things when others that really legitimately do need help with things don't get it just because they aren't autistic or any other "learning disability" (LOL!).

My experience with Special ED has been incredibly negative. This included being treated like an inferior (if not, a robot), being put on services that not only failed to help me but actually hampered me, and developing an inferiority complex (and eventually) PTSD due to all of the stigma and applied behavior analysis. The accommodations mostly served to either bother or embarrass me. In the end, I realized it was trying to force me into a system I would NOT be a part of.

Look, I'm NOT advocating for just putting people in the system without help. My argument is that I find "integration" to really be more segregating. I was NOT treated with any respect at most of my IEP meetings, nor given dignity by teachers.

That's all I have to say.

Not so sure special ed as it is now is a viable solution to the issue either, I mean I never really was put in any programs like that as I was not diagnosed with anything but from what I saw of that...it would not have been an improvement to what I dealt with, but I still would not oppose helpful accomidations for people who need it....also it would be nice if teachers/school staff would actually deal with bullying not turn a bind eye to it or help single out people to receive more bullying.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
TheAP wrote:
My school has a separate program for people with all types of disabilities - developmental disabilities, learning disabilities, and autism. I don't think this is a good thing, because it separates these people as being "the special needs kids" and creates a stigma. I think people with autism should be taught in a way that will help them achieve as much as they can, without separating them from everyone else.

Everyone else needs to be taught to tolerate differences and not gang up on someone and ostracize and bully them as a group...you wouldn't put a kitten in a tank of sharks would you?

Ya know! The funny thing is. I grew up in the 1980's and gay people where hated more then autistics where. If you even so much as gave a hint that you where gay. Several guys would gang up on you and take you to the back of the building ofter school and beat you to a pulp. There where several cases of kids going to the hospital and jail over this.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 9:51 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
TheAP wrote:
My school has a separate program for people with all types of disabilities - developmental disabilities, learning disabilities, and autism. I don't think this is a good thing, because it separates these people as being "the special needs kids" and creates a stigma. I think people with autism should be taught in a way that will help them achieve as much as they can, without separating them from everyone else.

Everyone else needs to be taught to tolerate differences and not gang up on someone and ostracize and bully them as a group...you wouldn't put a kitten in a tank of sharks would you?

Ya know! The funny thing is. I grew up in the 1980's and gay people where hated more then autistics where. If you even so much as gave a hint that you where gay. Several guys would gang up on you and take you to the back of the building ofter school and beat you to a pulp. There where several cases of kids going to the hospital and jail over this.

That is even more f***d up that what I've had to endure in life, but it wasn't autism specifically anyone bullied me for, never really got a real reason but I was not even diagnosed with anything till I was 15 because of a suicide attempt...and then it was just depression and anxiety. Any time I ever tried getting help for it I was just told to deal with it so I did that and obviously I didn't do that right.