In what ways do you think autistic people should be treated

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 9:31 am

In school ?What do you think?

Last edited by jenisautistic on 10 Jan 2015, 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 9:32 am

With respect.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 10:39 am

Treated just like any other people, like equals.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 2:54 pm

As an equal like the rest of their peers.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm

Autistic people should be treated like any other person.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 3:06 pm

I'm talking about like services and programs

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 3:21 pm

With kind and respect.

i don't know about the other one, with kind and respect? I don't understand the question. Do you mean like what treatments they should receive or what support thy should get?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 3:21 pm

League_Girl wrote:
With kind and respect.

i don't know about the other one, with kind and respect? I don't understand the question. Do you mean like what treatments they should receive or what support thy should get?

Yes

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 3:28 pm

Depends on the individual and their situation.

For some, they may require support/assistance etc all their lives.. so, if possible, that should be provided in the school system.

But for others, I think they should be treated like everyone else - with no special treatment whatsoever - because there is no special treatment at work & in life. People have to learn to get along with the rest of the world around them. We have to either sink or swim.. and being sheltered/coddled or babied in school won't do anyone any favours for when they grow up and have to join the real world of work & life. Toughing it out and learning to get along with the rest of the world as best as possible w/o any kind of special considerations or support definitely has it's advantages for those that are on the higher functioning end of the spectrum.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 3:34 pm

My school has a separate program for people with all types of disabilities - developmental disabilities, learning disabilities, and autism. I don't think this is a good thing, because it separates these people as being "the special needs kids" and creates a stigma. I think people with autism should be taught in a way that will help them achieve as much as they can, without separating them from everyone else.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 12:47 am

You need to ask longer, more detailed questions if you expect more specific answers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 12:58 am

goldfish21 wrote:

For some, they may require support/assistance etc all their lives.. so, if possible, that should be provided in the school system.

But for others, I think they should be treated like everyone else - with no special treatment whatsoever - because there is no special treatment at work & in life. People have to learn to get along with the rest of the world around them. We have to either sink or swim.. and being sheltered/coddled or babied in school won't do anyone any favours for when they grow up and have to join the real world of work & life. Toughing it out and learning to get along with the rest of the world as best as possible w/o any kind of special considerations or support definitely has it's advantages for those that are on the higher functioning end of the spectrum.

Who said anything about babying anyone, autism/aspergers is considered a disability, accommodations exist for disabilities like it or not. Perhaps they should get rid of handicap parking spaces and wheelchair ramps and such things to, those damn people who can't walk need to sink or swim right :roll: lol. I do not see how proper accommodations is coddling/babying...but whatever. Also I am on the higher functioning end and my toughing it out and learning to get along with the rest of the world with no support or considerations did not do me any good, I burnt myself out doing that I mean not litterally but in a way I feel like I overloaded my brain and broke something in there. A lot of it is the PTSD but a large part of it is me trying to 'tough it out' I fail to see how it had any advantages for me. Most of my life felt like that feeling you have when you're learning to swim and you can barely keep floating well one can only do it so long before exhaustion sets in. Stupid analogy but best I could think of.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 12:59 am

TheAP wrote:
My school has a separate program for people with all types of disabilities - developmental disabilities, learning disabilities, and autism. I don't think this is a good thing, because it separates these people as being "the special needs kids" and creates a stigma. I think people with autism should be taught in a way that will help them achieve as much as they can, without separating them from everyone else.

Everyone else needs to be taught to tolerate differences and not gang up on someone and ostracize and bully them as a group...you wouldn't put a kitten in a tank of sharks would you?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 1:40 am

There should be job training/placement.
But this should be the case for all disabled people.

Maybe healthcare, because the cost of all those doctor appointments and medications that many of us take cost a pretty penny until we hit our deductible.
The cost of our premiums are high too.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 2:35 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Who said anything about babying anyone, autism/aspergers is considered a disability, accommodations exist for disabilities like it or not. Perhaps they should get rid of handicap parking spaces and wheelchair ramps and such things to, those damn people who can't walk need to sink or swim right :roll: lol. I do not see how proper accommodations is coddling/babying...but whatever. Also I am on the higher functioning end and my toughing it out and learning to get along with the rest of the world with no support or considerations did not do me any good, I burnt myself out doing that I mean not litterally but in a way I feel like I overloaded my brain and broke something in there. A lot of it is the PTSD but a large part of it is me trying to 'tough it out' I fail to see how it had any advantages for me. Most of my life felt like that feeling you have when you're learning to swim and you can barely keep floating well one can only do it so long before exhaustion sets in. Stupid analogy but best I could think of.

But there aren't aides/assistants/special accommodations in life nor most workplaces. If students are dependent on special treatment at school & then they graduate and head out into the real world.. how are they going to cope? Probably not very well.

IMO, those that can do w/o any special treatment at school should go without it in order to best prepare themselves for the real world of work and competition.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 3:14 am

goldfish21 wrote:

But there aren't aides/assistants/special accommodations in life nor most workplaces. If students are dependent on special treatment at school & then they graduate and head out into the real world.. how are they going to cope? Probably not very well.

IMO, those that can do w/o any special treatment at school should go without it in order to best prepare themselves for the real world of work and competition.

Hence the reason many people with disabilities cannot hold a job to sustain themselves...people are supposed to just transcend that with no effort on the part of society to perhaps meet in the middle, and that creates an obnoxious dis-balance. And do define 'the real world' ...also apparently having no support or acknowledgment of having a disability/struggles associated with a condition doesn't do a great job of preparing people to function in 'the real world' either. But I doubt this real world is a concrete stagnant thing that cannot be altered in any way over time to better fit the people within it.