Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2015, 4:06 pm

I originally posted about this in General Autism Discussion, but it quickly got lost in the sea of threads there. Hindsight is 20/20, but anyways, me and WitchsCat (my fiancee) are starting a new video series titled "Ask an Aspie Couple". Basically we take user-submitted questions and answer them on camera, from an inside perspective. Anything goes really, from relationships to personal preferences to current events to anything you can think of!

Questions can be submitted as responses here, via our Google+ page, our YouTube channel, or if you'd prefer anonymity, you can send us a PM or an email. We won't share who's asking the questions, nor give personally-identifying information if you contact us privately, but we will do our best to answer anything and everything we get!

link: YouTube channel
link: Google+ page
email: [email protected]

So does anyone have any questions their curious to see answered by an Aspie couple? :D

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 4:38 pm

Are you both aspies?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2015, 4:47 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Are you both aspies?
Yup, both of us are officially diagnosed. :)

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 7:35 pm

Shep wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Are you both aspies?

And to clarify, I was diagnosed at aged 2, while Shep was diagnosed at age 3 1/2, so we were both diagnosed at a very early age.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 7:48 pm

WitchsCat wrote:
Shep wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Are you both aspies?

And to clarify, I was diagnosed at aged 2, while Shep was diagnosed at age 3 1/2, so we were both diagnosed at a very early age.

How old are you? You must both at your very least be in your early to mid-twenties then because AS was only recognised officially from 1994 onwards.

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm

Jono wrote:
How old are you? You must both at your very least be in your early to mid-twenties then because AS was only recognised officially from 1994 onwards.
I'm 24, she's 27. If I recall correctly, I was one of the first few diagnosed in my area under the official diagnosis. I can ask my mom for more info, she still remembers it like it was yesterday. I was far too young to really remember much, but apparently they had a lot of Hot Wheels in the waiting room from what I'm told.

As far as my fiancee, I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong here sweetie) that her diagnosis was prior to it's inclusion in the DSM and thus not really "official" until four years later, basically confirming at the time what everyone already knew.

EDIT:
Small clarification: the answers to the above two questions will be in the first video. Maybe the first video can be more of an introduction then. Food for thought, until I get my new camera in a few days :wink:

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 8:09 pm

Shep wrote:
As far as my fiancee, I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong here sweetie) that her diagnosis was prior to it's inclusion in the DSM and thus not really "official" until four years later, basically confirming at the time what everyone already knew.

My diagnosis was in 1990, so that seem kind of accurate.

Shep wrote:
Small clarification: the answers to the above two questions will be in the first video. Maybe the first video can be more of an introduction then. Food for thought, until I get my new camera in a few days

Sweet! We have our first video for our series! Thanks, guys, and keep the questions coming! :D

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 5:50 am

WitchsCat wrote:
Shep wrote:

My diagnosis was in 1990, so that seem kind of accurate.

Shep wrote:
Small clarification: the answers to the above two questions will be in the first video. Maybe the first video can be more of an introduction then. Food for thought, until I get my new camera in a few days

Sweet! We have our first video for our series! Thanks, guys, and keep the questions coming! :D

Can you check it? I don't see the video on your channel.

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2015, 7:19 am

Jono wrote:
Can you check it? I don't see the video on your channel.
We have the content for our first video, not the video itself. Gotta get the camera first :wink:

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2015, 4:29 pm

Just got a response from the other thread:

QuiversWhiskers wrote:
Are you ever annoyed by the other's stimming or habits?

Do you "share" stims? Are they in a way contagious to each other?

How long have you been able to make eye contact with each other?

How do you divide the chores, paying the bills/budgeting, cooking, etc?

Do you find that you mirror each other's moods? Like if one is irritable the other gets that way too?

Do you watch each other for sensory overload in public and make moves to protect each other from it?

How do you handle meltdowns? Do you find yourself on the verge of a meltdown in response to the other's meltdown, like an empathic response to it?

Are you similar or opposite in your personalities? Like is one extroverted, the other introverted?

Does it ever hurt when you need attention from your SO when that SO is frequently absorbed in their special interest?

I could think of more but maybe someone else will after having read these.
All excellent questions, and worthy of answering in our first video! :D (I'm thinking we can still have an introduction in the first part, but still answer these questions afterwards.) Camera should be arriving on Wednesday (i.e. in three days), so I'll aim to have it up within a few days of it arriving.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 7:47 pm

WitchsCat wrote:
Shep wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Are you both aspies?

that seems early for aspergers sure it wasn't classic autism or PDD-NOS

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2015, 1:24 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
that seems early for aspergers sure it wasn't classic autism or PDD-NOS
Yup, I'm positive on both counts. While mine was done after its inclusion in the DSM, her mom has a polaroid picture of her in the doctor's office when she was first diagnosed, dated and labeled. Don't happen to have it handy at the moment, but it's dated sometime in 1990 (I forget the month and day; only saw it briefly). She showed signs earlier on than I did.

Good news on the camera front: it's arriving a day early, so we should be able to start filming today! :D

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 6:29 pm

Quick update: we just finished taping our first episode. All we have to do now is edit and splice what we taped, and it should be up on YouTube soon.

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm

Okay, so I may have pulled a dum-dum and forgotten to, you know, adequately test out the camera prior to using it. I apologize to everyone, and the data's all there, however I am having a bear of a time getting the audio portion to play right. Either there's an overbearing sound on the entire video that makes it hard (but not impossible) to hear, or the quality's bad and there's clicks and pops that would drive any Aspie nuts (myself included) . And looking at the owner's manual, I see why -- I used the waterproof case designed for video only, not the one that lets in more audio, or even bare. That was a mistake on my part.

Bottom line is we will re-shoot the video tomorrow. I'm working from home then, so I have flexible hours and can take a break to dedicate to filming. Will test out various scenarios first to see what works best for the audio, and then film.

On a brighter note, if this ever takes off, and anyone heavily into audio engineering wants to take a crack at it, we should be able to release this as a "behind the scenes prequel" of sorts. As is my motto, "Onwards and upwards!"

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2015, 7:25 pm

Another update: filming and post-processing is done. Uploading to YouTube as we speak. Estimating 31% done with 220 minutes left in the upload (no, it's not a slow connection or anything, just a massive file -- about 17 minutes at 1080p equates to 3.8 GB even as a compressed MP4 file). For upcoming episodes, we'll definitely trim down the content to fewer questions, and leave out the personal introductions as well to slim down on time. Both format and longevity will be adjusted as more questions start rolling in and we get a feel for everything, similar to TV shows (ever notice the first season of many TV shows aren't nearly as good as later seasons? Adjustment period at work).

I'll post the video in this thread in the morning, since it won't be done until about 11 PM, waaaaaay past my bedtime. In the meantime, I did tell it to go ahead and publish it once it's done uploading, so if you notice a video in my channel, but haven't heard from me here yet, I'm probably still asleep :wink:

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2015, 7:30 am

And it's up! :mrgreen:

That's me on the left, and my fiancee (Witchscat) on the right. Also visible are my two guitars (electric 6-string and acoustic 4-string bass) and my computer setup on the left, and my 3D printer on the right, just to satisfy everyone's curiosity. :wink: