Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/ ... new-study/

the headline pretty much says it all "Majority Of Autism Increase Due To Diagnostic Changes, Finds New Study"

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm

I know some epidemic believers have been quick to point that this supposedly only explains 60% of the increase so what about the other 40%. It's important to note 60% is the minimum.

Quote:
So, if there is a real increase – again, it’s not clear – do we have any idea what might account for it?

emphasis mine

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 3:20 am

Feralucce wrote:

the headline pretty much says it all "Majority Of Autism Increase Due To Diagnostic Changes, Finds New Study"

Most of us already knew that.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 3:42 am

That's because it doesn't necessarily destroy social constructs, autism merely illuminates certain social behaviors as abrasive or obsolete.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 4:53 am

A lot of the unexplained 40% could be explained by talking to autistic people.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 11:30 am

Jono wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

Most of us already knew that.

I know. Some of us have been promoting this theory for years... (it is a recurrent theme on my blog)... It is nice to have a scientific backing for it.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2015, 2:59 pm

No, this is CLEARLY a corporate lie, because our FOODS and AIR QUALITY MUST be responsible for this disease!

/sarcasm

On a serious note, it's good to see a more mainstream site actually stand up for people with autism and those that know what it's like to live with it. Something different from the "autism moms", Autism Speaks pity commercials, and "studies" that are mostly based on correlation and causation (which is a VERY bad way to present an argument if used pure).

Spread this like a cold, everyone!