Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Whatplanet
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2015, 5:56 pm

I have never been diagnosed, i was suspected as a young child but my parents always got defensive when it was suggested that i might be autistic or that they should take me to see a specalist and it has been asked of me many times thoughout my life. I know im definately not normal but the symptoms for autisim/aspergers etc always seem quite vauge and varied and as such i have trouble understanding what the symptons and exact nature of the condition is exactly. what i thought i would do is post a list of the commonly given symptons and with a short explanation of my understanding of it and how it relates to me so that i can better understand asd's and assess my situation from there. Thank you for your time :)

delayed speech: Didn't speak till 4 years old but i than started speaking fluently.

lack inborn social skills this is a tricky one, i understand body language and social cues in theory but my level of understanding in personal social situations can vary from adaquete and adaptable social behaviour to me not realising that the person im being friendly with is being blatently aggresive towards me. (this is extremely varied and a big red flag of something wrong to both myself and other people)

preferring to have a familiar routine i don't necessarily prefer too, its more a compulsion but i can overcome it if i have too at the cost of stress and physical tiredness.

Avoid eye contact always avoided it as a child. although i always make it now it still feels uncomfortable, like it puts pressure on my eyes. but im still capable of making eye contact and no longer avoid it.

having repetitive movements rocking and slapping knees as a child, finger drumming and feet tapping as a teen. pacing and finger wiggling as an adult. i dont understand when, how or why this kind of behaviour seemingly transcends from normal to autistic?

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 9:46 pm

Hey Whatplanet welcome. :sunny:

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:56 am

You have it right - the disability shows up in situations where the sub-500ms facial response is necessary to complete the body language loop. You'll be left out. Forgive them, because they know not what they do.

Inkybob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2015, 5:40 am

Hi,

Re "i dont understand when, how or why this kind of behaviour seemingly transcends from normal to autistic?"

My understanding is, any of the Autistic traits can be present in anyone - neurotypical (NT) or otherwise. What identifies them as "Autistic characteristics" is when they occur clustered with other Autistic characteristics, and can be stronger in us than in NT people.

So, for example, my friend from school has very strong interests in one or two subjects, and she really immerses herself in tudor history, and modern languages. When she's discussing these subjects it's hard to get her to stop talking! But she is very socially confident & competent, very naturally empathetic, and in many other ways clearly not Autistic.

On its own, no behaviour is uniquely Autistic.

Regarding movement based characteristics, all humans have a need for sensory stimulation, and everyone has their own degree of hyper / regular / hypo sensitivity to different stimulus, and so may carry out different stimulating or calming actions. Again, on their own they don't indicate Autism, but if they are part of an overall picture that includes difficulties with social understanding or functioning, and narrow & intense focus on specific interests etc etc, then they may be indicative of Autism.

Does that help at all?

Whatplanet
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2015, 7:34 am

That's paints a much clearer picture thank you :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 3:49 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!