Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:30 pm

Of course the parents really shouldn't be believing everything they read. There are tons of medical scams like this and a lot of more minor ones.

Ever heard of Luminosity? That website has absolutely no clinical studies supporting it, yet they make the claim that their site is proven by the science of neuroelasticity and then they overcharge people for a handful of simple games.
However, games, including video games have been shown to be extremely good for mental health, there isn't any proven difference between Luminosity, Super Mario, or Chess.

This supplement uses the same kind of scam and uses the same logic as reasoning behind it.
Their logic flows like this:
"Autism (and other things) can have limited speech.
We provide a nutritional supplement.
Malnutrition can limit the development of a child, possibly including speech.
Therefore, our nutritional supplement causes/helps speech."

It's flawed logic, which means that it makes great marketing.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:40 pm

Reading the comments under the article highlights the willingness to accept bad logic.

Many are defending the supplement by confuse cause and correlation.

"I gave my child this supplement, and he spoke." Yeah, that may be true but it probably would have happened on any other supplement or without supplements.

And others are simply quoting studies about how autistics can have trouble with staying properly nourished as defense, which is true but irrelevant. Of course these supplements are going to help keep the kid nourished and that may help if the kid has nourishment issues, but it has little to do with the claim that the supplement causes speech.
It may be a good supplement, but that isn't the issue. The issue is fraudulent marketing claims.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:50 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Of course the parents really shouldn't be believing everything they read. There are tons of medical scams like this and a lot of more minor ones.

Ever heard of Luminosity? That website has absolutely no clinical studies supporting it, yet they make the claim that their site is proven by the science of neuroelasticity and then they overcharge people for a handful of simple games.
However, games, including video games have been shown to be extremely good for mental health, there isn't any proven difference between Luminosity, Super Mario, or Chess.

This supplement uses the same kind of scam and uses the same logic as reasoning behind it.

"Neuroelasticity" should be "neuroplasticity".

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 3:08 pm

eric76 wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

"Neuroelasticity" should be "neuroplasticity".

Ok, yes, I meant neuroplasticity...