Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alomoes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2015, 4:13 pm

Effective: Learning, today I learned what I am. And also proved that I exist.

Also effective: The forer effect. If you believe something enough, you will learn it as true.

Socializing on Mycroft Holmes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycroft_Holmes

^^Pretty much a description of what I am.

I ought to list the people who were this.

'A better strategy, he suggests, is to reject the label and live as if the oppression did not exist. Quoting Goffman, he writes, "But of course what is a good adjustment for the individual can be an even better one for society."'

Exactly what I am doing. This is subjective, yes.

Any errors in logic detected?

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 1:47 am

Tumblr. I don't mean it really like 'I'm a Tumblr social activist and it helps me', no. It's just a better place to surround yourself with things you love and interest you more than any other social network, IMO.

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:20 pm

Music

Looking on the bright side
-If I can think of something good about my situation fairly quickly, this helps me put it in perspective. If it takes too
long to think of something good, this might make me feel worse.

Acting calm
-If I'm anxious I can usually (almost) convince myself that I'm calm.

Talking about my problems

Routines

Distraction

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:43 pm

catlady2323 wrote:
Distraction for the things I can't change.

I have been diagnosed with non-24 hour (a circadian rhythm disorder) which causes manic depressive symptoms. When I am in the depressive phase I can become mildly suicidal due to the pain.

For suicidal ideation I tell myself "not today" and set a future date. This relieves my stress and setting a future date makes me feel that I can choose to end the pain when I want to but just "not today". (I have been using this technique for several years. I just keep re-setting the future date further into the future).

I like your technique.
I have even told others about it.
I have not said anything about you, however, just your great idea.
Be well. :D

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:52 pm

catlady2323 wrote:
corroonb wrote:
Lists

Routine

Books

Sleep
Exercise
Quiet
Pets
Weighted blanket
Music
Movies

This is a great list! I have condensed your list to the things I use as coping strategies (hope you don't mind). I especially wanted to say how much the weighted blanket has helped. I have been using a weighted blanket nightly to sleep under, and occasionally during the day when stressed or for special occasions (like a visit to the dentist).

The weighted blanket and QUIET are my go-to things when I am really stressed and nearing melt-down stage.

i also like the weighted blanket at the Dentist idea....thanks!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 7:44 pm

Pacing.
Keeping a busy mind. (In other words, distraction)
The typical 'drink poison to get immune to poison'. (Which I did with my sensory issues)
Some music.
Solidarity.
Laughing. Hard.
Glimpsing some memories.
Daydream. :lol:

Depends what's my current obsession...
Lastly, adapt and adopt. :? It's something I picked up from where I live.
Then, LEARN.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Ciphergarm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2015, 11:27 am

Fnord wrote:
Sleep.

This is true for me. My #1 and only effective mechanism for coping. The meds I'm prescribed on don't really do anything. I just stay on welbutrin because it reduces my appetite, Klonopin doesn't help my anxiety attacks. Music use to help some but my ex ruined a lot of the old bands I use to like.

LocksAndLiqueur
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

Kava: A mild sedative that's available over the counter in my country though is banned or heavily regulated in much of the world because it's been known to cause liver problems. It's really useful to carry a jar of the stuff around and when a situation starts to get tense, just give everybody about 800 to 1600 mg.

Alcohol: This one seems to be quite popular here. I'll have you know that I very rarely drink (only on special occasions such as Christmas and also when something particularly upsetting happens. Last time I had a drink it was when my grandmother passed away. I whipped up a gallon of home-brewed hard cider that was particularly dry).

Other Substances: There's one in particular I'm thinking of here. I'd rather not incriminate myself by saying what it is. I will say that it's infinitely more effective than alcohol or anything else I've tried, but after one particular incident a month or so ago I've been trying to avoid it.

Distractions: I always have something I'm working on. I'm about done building a forge in the back yard. Once that's done I guess I'll start blacksmithing and that should be cool. I've also been doing a lot of cleaning around the house lately and an old buddy of mine is teaching me to cook. Of course, school takes up most of my time. I'm currently taking classes at the local community college and since finals are about to start I've been pretty occupied with making sure I know my s**t.

Long Walks: I might walk for several hours each day. Sometimes, I run into someone I know and end up doing something with them (as is what happened last night) but most of the time I just walk around for a couple hours, nothing happens and I eventually just turn around and go home.

Other People: I'm not much of an extravert. I'm writing this at 10:15 am (I got up over 6 hours ago) and I haven't spoken a word today. I don't like parties or anything else that involves large groups of people I don't know. I do like getting together with a small number of people that I am comfortable with though.

ASMR Videos: I don't actually experience ASMR, but I find the videos very soothing. Well, I find some of them soothing. Some are just creepy. Check this out though:

Slow, Deliberate, Repetative Tasks: Yesterday, I reloaded some 6.5x55. I haven't done anything like that in a long time, but it was really relaxing. It's a lot like working on a zen garden or bonsai tree I suppose. The only difference is that this requires more attention to detail (which is a plus in my mind). Being disturbed when I'm doing something like that is extremely upsetting, but if I can get through it without being bothered it's really nice.

Music: I'm always listening to music. I don't really know what to say about it other than that I enjoy it very much and think it's nice that I can use it to tune out what's going on around me if need be.

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2015, 3:46 am

LocksAndLiqueur wrote:
Slow, Deliberate, Repetative Tasks: Yesterday, I reloaded some 6.5x55. I haven't done anything like that in a long time, but it was really relaxing. It's a lot like working on a zen garden or bonsai tree I suppose. The only difference is that this requires more attention to detail (which is a plus in my mind). Being disturbed when I'm doing something like that is extremely upsetting, but if I can get through it without being bothered it's really nice.

This really helps the next day. Spending a lot of time slowly and deliberately doing something, only thinking about the exact step you're doing and no more, is immensely calming. I am trying to make time to do it for several hours every weekend, but it is always daunting to start. It's not easy to keep focus, either! But if I do it, it's really great.

I am doing Zentangle with this, but it's hard to keep from making "art." I keep forgetting I am not doing "art" -- I need to just draw one line and then another line. It slows my brain down and focuses me if I can do it. (Then "art" can happen once I am slowed down.)

I am eagerly awaiting my weighted blanket. In the meantime, I have an ultimate fidget that I love. (http://www.amazon.com/The-Sensory-University-ULTIMATE-FIDGET/dp/B0019648V6) If I don't use it I'll pick at my skin without noticing. :/

Journaling is the other thing that really helps. I have so many thoughts that distract me, and journaling lets me order them later. I keep a personal journal tucked in my work to do list, so I can always switch from one to the other.

My destructive habit -- which I try to avoid -- is excessive research. I will research something to death if I get anxious! Instead, I have to notice when I'm perservating after the research is really done. I also read and listen to audiobooks this way: just hearing/seeing, not really paying attention. I crave information to fill my head. When I do that too much without really paying attention...it's time to draw lines one at a time again or go carefully and slowly organize a closet.

My "peche mignon" (my vice!) is to organize my clothes drawer and see if I can reduce my wardrobe even further. I keep trying to get it down to as few items as possible. Three skirts, one denim skirt and jeans, seven black shirts, enough underwear for about a week, a black dress and extras for cold weather and running are where I am now. I want to get it down even more! Meanwhile I just keep buying more fountain pens...

slave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 1:08 pm

dryope wrote:
LocksAndLiqueur wrote:

This really helps the next day. Spending a lot of time slowly and deliberately doing something, only thinking about the exact step you're doing and no more, is immensely calming. I am trying to make time to do it for several hours every weekend, but it is always daunting to start. It's not easy to keep focus, either! But if I do it, it's really great.

I am doing Zentangle with this, but it's hard to keep from making "art." I keep forgetting I am not doing "art" -- I need to just draw one line and then another line. It slows my brain down and focuses me if I can do it. (Then "art" can happen once I am slowed down.)

I am eagerly awaiting my weighted blanket. In the meantime, I have an ultimate fidget that I love. (http://www.amazon.com/The-Sensory-University-ULTIMATE-FIDGET/dp/B0019648V6) If I don't use it I'll pick at my skin without noticing. :/

Journaling is the other thing that really helps. I have so many thoughts that distract me, and journaling lets me order them later. I keep a personal journal tucked in my work to do list, so I can always switch from one to the other.

My destructive habit -- which I try to avoid -- is excessive research. I will research something to death if I get anxious! Instead, I have to notice when I'm perservating after the research is really done. I also read and listen to audiobooks this way: just hearing/seeing, not really paying attention. I crave information to fill my head. When I do that too much without really paying attention...it's time to draw lines one at a time again or go carefully and slowly organize a closet.

My "peche mignon" (my vice!) is to organize my clothes drawer and see if I can reduce my wardrobe even further. I keep trying to get it down to as few items as possible. Three skirts, one denim skirt and jeans, seven black shirts, enough underwear for about a week, a black dress and extras for cold weather and running are where I am now. I want to get it down even more! Meanwhile I just keep buying more fountain pens...

GREAT post!

Note the self-awareness and self-moderating behaviors(both mental and physical)that she is employing. Congrats to you!! !!

This is ultimately the key to coping.

When we bring self-awareness into our positive and negative coping strategies we make it possible to improve ourselves.

Thanks for sharing :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2015, 10:03 pm

I read and write a lot, I smoke lots of cannabis too. Meditation / nonjudgmental observation. Then Calisthenics, martial art's, and acoustic guitar during down time.

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2015, 1:46 am

slave wrote:
Note the self-awareness and self-moderating behaviors(both mental and physical)that she is employing. Congrats to you!! ! !

Aww, thanks! :D

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 3:11 am

what works:
taking my ear defenders and ear plugs everywhere for noise
wearing wraparound eyeglasses for light sensitivity
not going out during the daytime for light sensitivity
sleeping off migraines (caffeine used to work, not anymore)
writing in my journal to work stuff out
distraction with movies or funny websites
snapping my wrist with a rubber band to stop ruminating (at this point, just thinking about the rubber band works)
distraction via submersion in academics/interests
avoiding forums outside of WP
avoiding PPR and Love and Dating forums
lists so that I don't forget errands
to-do reminders on my cell phone
limiting the number of errands per day to avoid fatigue
thinking of life one day at a time/living in the moment to avoid frustration and hopelessness
soothing fantasies to help me fall asleep
allowing myself to adhere to an unusual sleeping schedule
lowering my expectations of other people to avoid disappointment
thinking locally rather than globally to avoid being overwhelmed by the world's problems

what doesn't work:
endlessly editing my dating profiles and answering more match questions
agonizing over the wording of my posts so that people won't read into what I'm saying
asking people what they are talking about
reading books and websites about dating tips
snacking before bed to avoid night sweats
forcing myself to switch attention when I'm immersed in one subject I like
honesty. yes, HONESTY does not work. think on how sad that is...
relying on my internal sense of time
trying to guess what people want

f9
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Apr 2015, 4:42 am

1) I second to:

☆ Avoidance (I'm not here and this thing does not exist) - not really useful in long run - in the sense that some things won't just go away! Some other things again, well, 'time heals everything' applies :)

☆ Lists and schedules. List everything! (too many of them… but they do help, although the big bulk of them gets ignored, the ones that get followed help)

☆ Procrastination (see, what I am doing now?!?!?) - not really useful in long run! In the sense that some things must get done at the end… So I procrastinate, but they are still there and then I'm stressed about not having done them...

☆ Routine (do not even think of me going anywhere or doing anything before noon. there is stuff that needs to be done beforehand. includes procrastination and avoidance of the fact it's a new day) - usually useful

☆ Withdrawal (escape into my room, mornings, evenings, and any time in between) - works miracles!

☆ Quiet (everyone shut up and most importantly: don't talk to me) - earplugs / ear protectors sometimes, but they hurt my ears … I have learned to tell people :"can we talk about it later?" and "I am tired of talking now" - usually it works well with family who then leave me alone♪

☆ Heavy blankets (piles of blankets. and a sandbag - normally used for yoga)

☆ Sleep - which is a form of avoidance for me

☆ Walks, walks, just walk and meander around (Although I'm recently stressed out by the fact I can't use it as much as I used to…
I used to live in a super safe country and in a super safe metropolis. I could spend all days just walking around, e.g. start going north and do not stop before I'm exhausted ad find myself like 20km from where I started. Take any train back.
But now I have moved to UK + into provinces and I feel horrible limited by the fact I'm living
a) in a small town with no public transport - I am not used to think how to I get back after a couple of hours meandering and in countryside … well, there just is not metro/ tube/ subway/ train nearby to take you back. I'd end up in the middle of nowhere, out of energy ...
b) in a country where towns have unsafe areas … I don't like finding myself in the middle of a gang area alone … ohhhh…) - so, walking used to be ultra useful, now not so much now. I need to get my partner to come along and then I get stressed when he spends too much time looking at a boring building or nags me of spending too much time studying an interesting stone en route … I also get stressed when I can't just turn down whichever road feels right etc …

☆ sit on FB and WP and … talking on internet feels good but … goes under 'procrastination' and 'avoidance' with it's effectiveness!

Quote:
Also effective: The forer effect.

sounds cool, will try!

Quote:
For suicidal ideation I tell myself "not today" and set a future date.

Yes! I haven't been suicidal recently but I used to use it all the time too!! ! And will probably use again when needed.
It goes with "when things get really really so bad I can't bear it, I'll do it - but I am just about hangin on, so I can wait a bit, can't I"
And with devising a plan for perfect suicide which usually gets so complex I get confused and leave the idea for a bit!.

I'm alive, so works well!

Quote:
lowering my expectations of other people to avoid disappointment

I need to put that on my list of things to remember to do!! !

2) Add things that work:

☆ meditation

☆ writing it down (overwhelming emotions, obsessive thoughts, problem-solving which just won't stop - usually writing it all down helps the mind to shut up and relative normality to be restored)

☆ saying nonsense things (I'm aware enough to say it quietly or only in my mind when in public; at home I say things loud and sometimes move like rhythmically or flapping hands of whatever happens to feel calming. "flying horses!! !! all flying horses!! !! gaboon!" ╲(^o^)/)

☆ using sunglasses

☆ During parties and other situations like training courses when people are unavoidable - Parties: hide in toilet! if children are around, play with them (they don't do small talk)! if possible 'disappear' without saying the goodbyes at earliest chance. Courses: use 'lunch break' 'have something urgent to deal with' and escape to a place where it's possible to have lunch without others. Same with at the end of day, be 'busy'! :)

☆ Social interaction:
1) I have learned to try and use the 6W1H (questions starting with 'what, when, where, who(m with), why' and 'how') - to some extent to pretend I'm almost a NT capable of small talk.
It's a conscious effort and makes me to run to a toilet at first opportunity (see above) but I used to just hide behind a safe person and say nothing. Practice, practice … Now I can already pull out about two of them in row (and then hope someone saves me!! !)

2) When no 5W1H can be found but I'm still stuck with a NT expecting to chat, there is another trick!
It is: look at the person, find a somewhat attractive object (or pick a clothing colour) and say something like "Oh, that's nice!" or "I like it". This prompts an NT to talk about it and helps to think of one of the 5W1H's!

3) Doesn't matter if I'm not interested in the person in front of me. I think (= sort of convince myself) that I am interested / pretend to myself being interested.
This helps to draw my attention to the person and use either of the tricks above (a 5W1H question or a 'compliment')

Now these are seriously cool! Because they work!!
It's sort of really puzzling at first, like, how can it be I say something like, "By the way, I like the colour of that blouse" it switches the NT to lit up and go on about where they bought it or how they tried to match it with some other item … ?! And they look so happy, always, when I do that!

Isn't that amazing? It is exhausting but on the other hand, it really helps!

And when it gets too much then its time to 'be busy', pretend to 'use a telephone' or 'need a toilet' - and because I have done my bit and actually talked I'm sort of excused (and I also feel I've earned my right to remain silent!) :)

I find it really cool. :flower: Although sometimes I forgot I had to use the tricks and just hide someplace… Or I'm not in good enough condition to use them...

I have APD (auditory processing disorder) too so for listening-related things:
☆ Before needing to call to a person (non-family member) - write down all I will need to say starting from "Hello, my name is …"
Everything. And then read from my paper. Otherwise I can't use phones at all - my mind just stops, I panic and hang up. Go away! (Avoidance mood)

☆ When someone calls when I absolutely need to take the phone (like a job interview or something) - press the phone against my ear, use other hand to close the other ear, squat into a corner with my back to the room I'm in and close eyes.
That makes me just about to be able to concentrate enough I understand 80%-ish 90%-ish of what's been said. I have recently learned shamelessly to ask people repeat the bits I didn't get.

☆ For lectures and classes and speeches I used to sit in front row and stare at the speaker. Since learning more about APD I figured out that as long as I sit someplace which allows me unrestricted view to the speaker I don't have to be in the front row.

And may other things. But it's now too long already!