How is it so many creatures sharing the same space ...

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 11:52 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Huh?

So....

What you're saying is:

You're not being illogical out of greed.

You're being illogical just for the sake of being illogical.

So that makes it more logical!

Thats....unique logic!

No, I am saying people will reject science when it says stuff that will inconvenience them too much. All of a sudden, all this science is meaningless and wrong and scientists don't know what they are talking about. Or, it's a matter of the science being polluted by industry and politicians, thus it's incorrect. All the scientists and everyone else made it up as a big hoax. But why would they? Tell me why someone would make it up when it is easier to just give in and say to people, do whatever you want? That's always the easiest way. So, why sit there and make up an elaborate Man-Made-Climate-Change story? There are better ways to get people to buy windmills and solar panels, like, telling them they won't have to keep handing over money each month to the local electric company, for one.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 23 Jan 2015, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 11:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Huh?

So....

What you're saying is:

Thats....unique logic!

Dude, she's thinking out of the box.

Unusual around here, yes.

But not impossible, as SHE proves here.

Most all INTERESTING DISCUSSION is provoked by OUT OF THE BOX THINKING.

AND THAT'S what ANA does Best.

But it does TAKE OPEN MINDED thinking for even THE POSSIBILITY to see that.

AND at least SOME OF 'US' HAVE THAT.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 11:56 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Huh?

So....

What you're saying is:

Thats....unique logic!

No, I am saying people will reject science when it says stuff that will inconvenience them too much. All of a sudden, all this science is meaningless and wrong and scientists don't know what they are talking about.

YEAH, and Quantum Physics kinda highlights THAT reality WELL.

THERE IS ALWAYS the next dimension of human reality POSSIBLE.

FINDING it is always the challenge and ALWAYS will be.

But it will NEVER EVER BE found with closed minded thinking folks.

As is always the case, as even Einstein stated, ALL TRULY great discoveries are produced by imagination OVER REASON.

OH YEAH, AND THE reason I can leg press 900 LBS now, is not because of reason, it started with imagination for the cure for 19 medical disorders, escape from shut-in existence, and now literal legend status in dance, named as such by the METRO CROWD, AND NOT ME.

IMAGINATION IS THE greatest human power.

Reason just describes the effect of it, and THAT IS ALL REASON DOES.

IMAGINATION IS THE TRUE POWER OF LIFE.

AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN, where historical humans are concerned.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 12:03 pm

aghogday wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Huh?

So....

What you're saying is:

Thats....unique logic!

Thanks, Aghogday.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 12:08 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
aghogday wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Huh?

So....

What you're saying is:

Thats....unique logic!

Thanks, Aghogday.

You're welcome, Friend. :)

traven
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 12:54 pm

so many creatures sharing the same space ...

The human body carries about 100 trillion microorganisms in its intestines, a number ten times greater than the total number of human cells in the body. The metabolic activities performed by these bacteria resemble those of an organ, leading some to liken gut bacteria to a "forgotten" organ. It is estimated that these gut flora have around a hundred times as many genes in aggregate as there are in the human genome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora) lol

Anthropocentrism as superstitional religion for the masses, which is intertwined with the idea of progress [the Idea of Progress is the theory that advances in technology, science, and social organization can produce an improvement in the human condition] with is also a religious anthropocentristic superstition.
Wishful thinking merely!

but people prefer discussing nonsense for masquerade

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 3:33 pm

traven wrote:
so many creatures sharing the same space ...

The human body carries about 100 trillion microorganisms in its intestines, a number ten times greater than the total number of human cells in the body. The metabolic activities performed by these bacteria resemble those of an organ, leading some to liken gut bacteria to a "forgotten" organ. It is estimated that these gut flora have around a hundred times as many genes in aggregate as there are in the human genome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora) lol

Then why don't those bacteria have fur?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 3:37 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Hey if people can dispute man made climate change, I certainly have the right to dispute Theory of Evolution. I am not science-by-convenience. I don't just accept it because it is easy and molds to what I want in my life. It's easy to discount something like man made climate change because it will impact the way we live our daily lives and most of us do not want any restrictions so we reject that science. It's far easier to go along with Theory of Evolution because it's no skin off anyone's nose to accept it. Won't alter a thing about their daily lives. Won't inconvenience them in the slightest.

Science-By-Convenience.

Well maybe there's a genetic component? Evolution-By-Convenience.

You are mistaken. Accepting evolution will challenge many people's basic religious beliefs. Perhaps they are uncomfortable with their apey grandparents and would not want to invite them to dinner.

(RIP Douglas Adams)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

No, I am saying people will reject science when it says stuff that will inconvenience them too much. All of a sudden, all this science is meaningless and wrong and scientists don't know what they are talking about. Or, it's a matter of the science being polluted by industry and politicians, thus it's incorrect. All the scientists and everyone else made it up as a big hoax. But why would they? Tell me why someone would make it up when it is easier to just give in and say to people, do whatever you want? That's always the easiest way. So, why sit there and make up an elaborate Man-Made-Climate-Change story? There are better ways to get people to buy windmills and solar panels, like, telling them they won't have to keep handing over money each month to the local electric company, for one.

I'm not 100% sure but I think what you are asking is why people will accept the research supporting evolution but not the research supporting climate change. Then you speculate that perhaps people will discount research when they have a vested interest in it not being true but otherwise accept it.

A journalist at Slate agrees with you. (And per your other thread, Slate has quite an obvious skew, but I think this article is relevant to your question.)

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2013/12/creationists_and_climate_change_political_union_of_science_critics.html

But note that they say that while anti-evolution and anti-climate change groups were initially two separate groups (with the anti-climate change groups presumably accepting the evidence for evolution because they had no vested religious interest) the two groups seem to be merging.

Quote:
But there's also the "declining trust in science" theory, according to which political conservatives have, in general, become distrustful of the scientific community (we have data showing this is the case), and this has infected how they think about several different politicized scientific issues. And who knows: Perhaps the distrust started with the evolution issue. It is easy to imagine how a Christian conservative who thinks liberal scientists are full of it on evolution would naturally distrust said scientists on other issues as well.

This suggests that the group of people who accept the research supporting evolution but reject the research supporting climate change is getting smaller all the time. More and more it seems that people (Americans, at least, this article doesn't go on about other countries) reject both. Once the religious and ideological people have joined forces, the remaining people accepting evolution research but rejecting the climate change research is much smaller and I think more reasonable. This new smaller group doesn't seem to be accepting evolution research out of convenience while rejecting climate change research out of inconvenience. There seem to be few in this camp who reject climate change outright (except Humanaut :wink: ) but rather dispute that it is human-caused rather than part of natural cycles that would have happened without us. They are accepting the data but disputing what the data means. That's not unreasonable and is not anti-science.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 1:20 am

ANA you have me rather confused.

From your last couple of posts you give the impression that the whole point of this thread is a somewhat satirical expose of people cherry picking what to believe, rather than accepting evidence which conflicts with their own "common sense" prejudices. Is this correct or do you actually believe evolutionary biology is "so far fetched" and that it may only be"somewhat true.

Regarding "somewhat true" It is a fact that we do not know in full all the processes involved e.g Heredity looks like it can be passed on to the next generation through epigenetics. But the stuff we are in the process of discovering bolsters the natural evolutionary process rather than suggesting a supernatural one.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 7:43 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Huh?

So....

What you're saying is:

Thats....unique logic!

You seemed to be misunderstanding your own post!

You were talking about TWO subjects: 1)other people, and (2) yourself.

You said other people reject science because of...greed, or prejudice, or just convenience (they dont wanna turn the thermostat down).

In contrast- you on this thread are ALSO denying science, but for strictly unselfish reasons.

ERGO....if other folks can be dumb I (Ana) can be dumb too!! !! !
Or that's what it sounds like you're saying.

I understand ( and definitely dont dispute) your point about subject one. Its what you said about subject two that baffles me. Why does the fact that a Tobacco exec. (for example) denies the findings of the Surgeon General about smoking justify you being silly? Lol!