Do you find PPR type discussions difficult in person?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:26 am

I struggle with PPR type discussions, in person. I find it difficult to focus and find words. My mind seems to get overloaded with analyzing the setting, facial expressions, people's intentions and other distractions. Though I do manage it better after one drink. lol.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:33 am

It's really quite simple: No one can think, within a personal-contact context, like we think in PPR discussions. We have time to write, and to reflect upon what we have written.

It should be noted that people don't SPEAK all those philosophical treatises within personal conversations: they WRITE them. Imagine if Tolstoy SPOKE "War and Peace?"

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:43 am

Yes definitely because everyone where I live, they pretty much recite the same mantra without really thinking about stuff. Everything is always somebody else's fault, they don't want to take responsibility and examine themselves. It's so aggravating when people want to blame the government or some outside entity for absolutely every problem they experience in their life instead of thinking of ways they can make their lives better of finding inner peace about their existence.

I would be hesitant to discuss it with some of them because they are simply too tightly strung and honestly believe their doom is because of some outside force. They refuse to see anything from the perspective of being half full instead of half empty.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 1:30 pm

Where I live, if the Bible didn't say it happened, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN, overall, with the natives here.

Fortunately I worked at a Military station where at least there was a cosmopolitan influx of folks from around the world.

But still the military tends to cater to traditional AND conservative ways of being.

I more often have these conversations then and now, with the spouses, rather than the military dudes who most often have a very rigid way of thinking.

If I cannot talk to an open minded person, it is not even worth the effort.

And yes, I've always had problems with verbal language in getting it all concise and working together, particularly in focusing and filtering out all the environmental stimulus, including the affective empathy produced by complex facial expressions.

But as I get older it gets easier, but at the same time, the opportunities to find ANY OPEN minded folks decreases, as truly these days, we live in a Twitter World, where the only folks, for the most part, who have the ability to even have a deeper thinking conversation about anything, are relegated to the older folks, and where I LIVE the OLDER FOLKS SPELL rigid thinking closed minded conservatives.

So yeah, that's part of why I COME HERE, and sometimes I find the exception to the new rule of human MUCH MUCH shallower thinking and expressing of OPEN MINDED IDEOLOGIES....

The same old crap re-hashed bores me silly......;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Jan 2015, 10:35 pm

Well I'm certainly more aware of my audience IRL obviously but I like discussing politics and current events, I think I can articulate myself well enough and I think I can find common ground with most people. My problem is that I might start lecturing and repeating myself.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 5:50 am

Easy.

It's not social communication after all, rather drawing on opinion and fact.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 9:05 am

In my case, it's easier for me to discuss in-depth topics in real life than talking in a social-like chit-chat matter.
When I do, I literally can feel it when there's a come-back. Unfortunately, it's rather a rare chance because the people from where I live, in terms of religion, their common rebuttal is argumentum ad hominem. It's rarely a reasonable disagreement or an agreement. However, politics are the most popular one here, but it's only talks, no action and still whines at it. Real life events seems the most ideal, except it's least interested among all PPRs of my choice.
The only thing I have to worry is my overloading mind over my slow mouth.

Funny enough, I would rather do the social chit-chat online, than PPR topics. Same goes how I initiate it; I'm likely start a PPR irl, and randomness online. And unlikely do irl with a random banter and PPR online (in-game chats, forums, other social media). Probably because I had enough with trolls in the past to be honest...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 2:18 am

Narrator wrote:
I struggle with PPR type discussions, in person. I find it difficult to focus and find words. My mind seems to get overloaded with analyzing the setting, facial expressions, people's intentions and other distractions. Though I do manage it better after one drink. lol.

Not directly. The difficulty lies in finding enough people who are interested in such discussions to keep things varied and interesting - otherwise I probably wouldn't post here at all.

I do advise against self-medicating with alcohol, though. It might level the playing field in the first instance, but it's a short-term solution that all too easily becomes a long-term illness.

With apologies if that sounded judgemental - it's more a reflection on me than anyone else.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 3:53 am

I love discussing PPR type topics, but I suck at debating. :P I find things like religion, philosophy, social issues, history, science, medicine, technology, and politics to be fascinating topics, and I can talk up just as much of a storm about them as I can about my "special interests", though that's partially because a lot of them relate to my special interests in some way. I don't do "small talk" very well, and I've found that this turns a lot of people off, but whatever, people who can't handle big topics usually aren't worth discussing things with anyway, at least not for me.