Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 10:57 am

As in journalists...I notice sometimes when you see an article, first thing you notice are the errors. Then it seems like they write in a way that seems kind of skewed and isn't really in touch with reality.

Then you see comments, if they are allowed, about the article pointing out the mistakes and the way it distorts reality by people who do not write for a living yet do so correctly and have nothing to gain or lose.

Anyone find this phenomena odd?

Desurage
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2015, 2:57 am

I had to read that a few times, though I know what you mean. It happens all the time, the reason the article is published is because some editor thought it was genius and naturally people who don't agree or see all the little BS love to call it out. Someone must be loving the skewed take the articles present because the source is still in business I guess.

Its strange because theres always such opinion even in straight journalism articles. The way they present the issues and people, its often like they have already decided that whatever the truth is they don't care and only want to tell you that you should think whatever they are talking about is horrible or great as they say it is. I heard that most people believe authority unquestioningly, I suppose that was never an aspie thing.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 3:23 am

Desurage wrote:
I had to read that a few times, though I know what you mean. It happens all the time, the reason the article is published is because some editor thought it was genius and naturally people who don't agree or see all the little BS love to call it out. Someone must be loving the skewed take the articles present because the source is still in business I guess.

Its strange because theres always such opinion even in straight journalism articles. The way they present the issues and people, its often like they have already decided that whatever the truth is they don't care and only want to tell you that you should think whatever they are talking about is horrible or great as they say it is. I heard that most people believe authority unquestioningly, I suppose that was never an aspie thing.

Isn't it strange the journalist doesn't have the basics down and they write for money while those in the comments aren't getting paid a dime yet they have it mastered and seem to not be so clueless?

Desurage
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2015, 3:29 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Desurage wrote:

Isn't it strange the journalist doesn't have the basics down and they write for money while those in the comments aren't getting paid a dime yet they have it mastered and seem to not be so clueless?

Too bad he's not writing the article then

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 3:41 am

Desurage wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Desurage wrote:

Too bad he's not writing the article then

It seems like everyone's good at it but the one writing the article 8O

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 8:02 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I don't think it's strange. Most commentors can fit in two categories.

1)People who inhnerently know more about the subject than the journalist because they either were present when the reported event happened, they know the people reported on, or the article is in a field that they are sytrongly familiar with (whereas the journalist only had days or even hours to research it).

2)People who are opposed to the skew in the article. Skew is a feature, not a bug. Editors want articles that align with the values or marketing of that particular media.

That commentors know more about their home town/event they were at/subculture they are in/field they work in is not strange at all. That commentors disagree with the values and marketing of some piece of media is also not strange at all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 9:29 am

Reporters report - They objectively give the facts of an event (who, what, when, where, why, and how) without interjecting their own subjective opinions, and leave the impression-making to the reader.

Journalists journalize - They focus on the anguish and drama of an event, and then tag the piece with their own impressions, so as to lead the readers to conclusions that the journalist believes should be true.

Reporters cover a wide variety of topics, and usually more often than journalists. Journalists are more concerned with getting their names and faces attached to something exciting than to being accurate, while reporters are more concerned with accuracy than with personal fame and glory.

I don't trust journalists. I trust reporters.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 10:01 am

You know what? Why don't actually try to be a journalist? Then maybe you could gain insight into why they skew things. Maybe it's not merely a means to manipulate human populations. Maybe you won't have a "black and white" viewpoint pertaining to reporting the news. You'll be on the front lines, gaining knowledge and wisdom.

Desurage
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2015, 10:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You know what? Why don't actually try to be a journalist? Then maybe you could gain insight into why they skew things. Maybe it's not merely a means to manipulate human populations. Maybe you won't have a "black and white" viewpoint pertaining to reporting the news. You'll be on the front lines, gaining knowledge and wisdom.

I was going to type a bunch of ha ha's in all caps but I figured that would be too annoying.