Harm and undermining of the self diagnosed on WP

Page 5 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 5:59 pm

I'm not saying don't have an inclusivity statement. Just that I don't think it will change anything in a practical way. It's not in human nature to be inclusive. It's a learned behaviour and some have learnt it better than others.

I really like AspieUtah's statement. It sounds perfect.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:03 pm

It probably won't change anything...but--like you stated--what's the harm?

If one person could be reassured by such a statement, I would feel like the statement served its purpose.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If one person could be reassured by such a statement, I would feel like the statement served its purpose.

That's because you're a beautiful human being. Even if you do have a creepy avatar.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:17 pm

I like your avatar Kraftie!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:20 pm

LOL....we've already taken a vote on it--my avatar stays! :P

And I do believe it's human nature to be inclusive--especially if the inclusivity is productive. And it, most definitely, could be productive.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:22 pm

I was joking. :lol: I saw those posts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:42 pm

And I like yours, too, Waterfalls!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:54 pm

Well that was a little too warm and fuzzy for my taste, but so be it. I don't really care about inclusivity on WP, whether it be the validity of a diagnosis or a shared drink at the Bar. I have never felt included here or anywhere else and I'm not sure I see the value in it. You only really know who your friends are when you need them and often they're not those who you had the best time with. If someone wants to post a kitten that's fine.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:57 pm

I've never posted kittens.

I've never felt "included" in my life, either. I'm a court jester in a world of social butterflies.

But you actually AGREE with me about self-diagnosis vs. "official diagnosis." That it really doesn't matter whether the person is self-diagnosed or officially diagnosed.

People don't think I'm "warm and fuzzy," actually.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've never felt "included" in my life, either. I'm a court jester in a world of social butterflies.

I'm starting to question the value of life experienced through my defective interface. It just seems like killing time to me. And yet some people get such joy out of it. I don't understand how.

Quote:
But you actually AGREE with me about self-diagnosis vs. "official diagnosis." That it really doesn't matter whether the person is self-diagnosed or officially diagnosed.

I couldn't care less.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:07 pm

It could be the cold, dank winter of Kingston.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I took Henry for a walk the other day, in the morning, before I was awake. I forgot my gloves. My hand was exposed for only a few minutes. Well I got frost bite - just mild, but it was 10 minutes of excruciating pain as my hand warmed up. What I'm getting at here is that this is not a natural environment. It was -24 Celsius, I checked after my hand thawed.
How can some people not be affected by it? They're happy and content. When the air alone could kill you, they're unfazed. Perhaps I'm obsolete.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:24 pm

It's a "natural" environment for your part of Canada, unfortunately. I don't find Minus 24 Celsius to be abnormally cold for your area.

Sorry you got frostbite. Have you been to the doctor about it?

You're certainly not obsolete to Henry.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm

androbot01 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I took Henry for a walk the other day, in the morning, before I was awake. I forgot my gloves. My hand was exposed for only a few minutes. Well I got frost bite - just mild, but it was 10 minutes of excruciating pain as my hand warmed up. What I'm getting at here is that this is not a natural environment. It was -24 Celsius, I checked after my hand thawed.
How can some people not be affected by it? They're happy and content. When the air alone could kill you, they're unfazed. Perhaps I'm obsolete.

Perhaps because the air could kill them but it didn't.
Depression can kill you too. It tried to kill me just recently but it didn't. I'm proud to be a survivor.
I don't really care that I don't fit in here.
Warm and fuzzy? Ffft.
I don't even like cats.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's a "natural" environment for your part of Canada, unfortunately. I don't find Minus 24 Celsius to be abnormally cold for your area.

It's completely normal, which is the insanity of it. How can you be expected to flourish in an environment where the air can kill you? It's bizzaro world!

Quote:
Sorry you got frostbite. Have you been to the doctor about ?

No its fine. I heated it up slowly.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:42 pm

Raleigh wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Perhaps because the air could kill them but it didn't.

Yes, surviving obstacles. Very worthy.
Quote:
Depression can kill you too. It tried to kill me just recently but it didn't. I'm proud to be a survivor.

I'm not sure if its depression in my case, or realism.

Quote:
I don't even like cats.

That is a brave admission on WP.