Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:40 pm

I've got a date for tomorrow. This makes me think of one question. Should I disclose? Should I tell her I'm aspie? I mean, I think the thing that always goes wrong on my dates is that I don't tell them I'm aspie, I don't respond to their nonverbal cues and then they get frustrated and I never see them again.

Would it be smart for me to just tell her that i can't read body language? I mean, she already seems to be really into me and when she started messaging me, her opening message was on how she likes geek guys. Maybe she will accept it as one of the quirks of dating a geek guy. I mean, I think that when two are dating they should be able to accept small flaws in each other, small ones that can't be helped.

Since she's a primary school teacher I have a feeling she's heard of Asperger's before. A percentage of her students may have it. This may be the first time she's encountered it in an adult... or maybe it isn't.

Disclosing might be the one thing that makes it work or she might see it is immature, as making excuses for myself... what you think?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:51 pm

Don't disclose, not now, not ever.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 6:45 pm

I would not disclose until you get so close to each other that you're considering living together. Not a wise move.

Or unless you REALLY feel like it.

Frankly, most people do not have a great deal of knowledge of autism spectrum disorders.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 7:59 pm

This person might have more knowledge than most about autism spectrum disorders.....but there must might remain a lingering prejudice, nevertheless.

If it comes up in discussion--if she speaks about her experiences with Aspergian kids without prejudice against them--
then I might consider disclosing.

You could talk about your little quirks without saying you have Asperger's. Just like any NT person could talk about their quirks.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:09 pm

My favorite lady knows my brain better than I do if I had to guess. Yeah, she does think it's weird, but everyone I know is weird, things balance out.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:21 pm

Absolutely not. If all goes well, she'll figure it out for herself.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:26 pm

Don't disclose ... yet.

Instead, ask her if her school has programs for Special Needs students, such as those with learning disabilities or perception disorders ... like ADHD, PTSD, or Autism Spectrum Disorders. Tell her that you have some interest, because you just found out that a distant friend may have AS ... Even though you think he's just a little nerdy. Tell her also that you're not likely to see this friend again for a while because he lives in another state or province ...

Then describe some of "his" (your) symptoms to her and ask her what she thinks. Eventually, she may figure it out; but in the meantime, you two will have the opportunity to get to know each other better, and maybe even form a committed relationship.

Of course, you'll have to apologize later for deceiving her; but eventually, all men have to do that anyway, whether they've intentionally tried to deceive a woman or not ... :wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:01 pm

Or you can always just explain yourself without categorizing yourself, might be easier than deceiving anybody.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 4:48 am

don't disclose on the first date, but don't try to weasel around it either.
should the topic come up, just agree and let the word get out naturally.

also, you should disclose early-ish in the relationship, but it's best to wait untill you are exclusive

TheCrookedFingers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2015, 5:16 am

I think that if your partner can't face your diagnosis, it's a lot less likely that they'll be able to understand your symptoms, either. Maybe you shouldn't disclose on the first date, but I definitely think you should tell her before you get so involved that you'll both get hurt if she realizes something is "off" about you and she doesn't like it.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:08 am

Totally agree with Kraftiekortie.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:22 am

Fnord wrote:
Don't disclose ... yet.

Instead, ask her if her school has programs for Special Needs students, such as those with learning disabilities or perception disorders ... like ADHD, PTSD, or Autism Spectrum Disorders. Tell her that you have some interest, because you just found out that a distant friend may have AS ... Even though you think he's just a little nerdy. Tell her also that you're not likely to see this friend again for a while because he lives in another state or province ...

That's a heck of a lot of subterfuge! Better to go with the flow of things, I think, then to occupy one's mind with this plot.

Quote:
Of course, you'll have to apologize later for deceiving her; but eventually, all men have to do that anyway, whether they've intentionally tried to deceive a woman or not ... :wink:

Good Lord! That's an archaic way of thinking. And somewhat condescending. I think women deserve a bit more respect.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:30 am

androbot01 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Don't disclose ... yet. Instead, ask her if her school has programs for Special Needs students, such as those with learning disabilities or perception disorders ... like ADHD, PTSD, or Autism Spectrum Disorders. Tell her that you have some interest, because you just found out that a distant friend may have AS ... Even though you think he's just a little nerdy. Tell her also that you're not likely to see this friend again for a while because he lives in another state or province ...
That's a heck of a lot of subterfuge! Better to go with the flow of things, I think, then to occupy one's mind with this plot.
Quote:
Good Lord! That's an archaic way of thinking. And somewhat condescending. I think women deserve a bit more respect.
In every relationship I have ever had, eventually I have had to apologize for deception when I had made no attempt to deceive. It is just part of the archaic "All men are liars" belief that most women seem to express, sooner or later. So if you have already been convicted, you may as well make yourself guilty, too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:36 am

Disclose it when you've gotten to know her better and she get's to know you. When you trust her enough that you feel that you can disclose, then you can disclose but it probably won't be on the first date.

Also, another thing that I've learnt to do, you should probably give her resources like websites etc if she doesn't know much about ASD. There's a lot of prejudiced and bigoted stuff about AS on the internet, especially with regards to AS and relationships. So you need to give her positive resources, even if only to avoid the possibility that she googles around and finds the negative stigmatising stuff first.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 9:56 am

Fnord wrote:
[In every relationship I have ever had, eventually I have had to apologize for deception when I had made no attempt to deceive. It is just part of the archaic "All men are liars" belief that most women seem to express, sooner or later. So if you have already been convicted, you may as well make yourself guilty, too.

Well, that's unfortunate. I certainly don't think all men are liars.

SIDWULF
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2015, 10:02 am

May i suggest you do not disclose right away but later on when you are comfortable or the situation requires an explination (You might loose her if you dont explain your behaviour)

I have disclosed to only two girls i have dated . First one lasted 2 years and i told here within a couple months voluntarily. Second one is ongoing and i was forced to tell her after i told her i had no friends. I was also forced to tell her about ocd after i had no choice but to take medication in front of her.