Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Inkybob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2015, 5:29 am

Hi all,

I've rejoined Wrongplanet after having a diagnostic appointment yesterday, which confirmed my assumptions that I'm on the Autistic Spectrum.

I was a member here some years ago, but couldn't remember what username or email I used to sign up. It was more straightforward to just sign up anew.

So, I'm Robin, based in SE London, aged 33. I self-diagnosed about 9 years ago. I approached my GP back in 2007 but they referred me for ADHD testing, despite my clear description of why I believed myself to have Asperger's, but I was so relieved to even to be taken half seriously I didn't protest. The Ed psych at the ADHD clinic agreed with me - I didn't have ADD or ADHD, but did have some Autistic traits. However she was unable to confirm that diagnosis.

So I let a few years go by! I didn't have the energy to fight that particular battle, until I moved house & moved GP with it. I was having some problems at work that I thought might be ASC linked, so I asked for referral, and my new GP was happy to refer me.

Long story short, the assessment was yesterday. I saw a psychologist and psychiatrist at the same time, and they used information from my ADHD assessment (the WAIS-IV & some other bits) plus about 2 hours of talking with them both. They then discussed me whilst I waited out of the room for about 5 minutes, then they confirmed I am Autistic, the psychiatrist said most likely Asperger's.

I find this interesting given Asperger's is being removed as a diagnostic category, but maybe Lewisham is a little behind the times.

I felt surprisingly little at the time - it confirmed what I knew, and I was relieved because I was worried I'd been mistaken for this long, but no overwhelming sense of anything in particular.

Anyway! Best wishes all.

Jules_Bonnot_1912
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2015, 5:37 am

Welcome (back)!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 9:39 am

Do you live near Bromley, Blackheath, or Shooter's Hill?

Inkybob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2015, 12:32 pm

Hi Kraftiekortie,

I live nearish all of those places, depending on your definition of near! I live in Brockley. Why's that - are you local?

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:04 pm

Hey Robin, welcome back. :sunny:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 4:56 pm

My wife's son lives in Shortlands (which I believe is a part of the London Borough of Bromley).

My wife and I live in New York City.

Inkybob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2015, 6:32 pm

Yep, Shortlands is in Bromley. I'm about half hour by train from there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:39 pm

Probably a nice area, then....especially if you're going farther from Central London.

I find most of the Southeast to be decent. I heard bad things about Lewisham--but my wife likes to shop there.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 5:10 pm

Welcome back to Wrong Planet!