Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Sylveon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2015, 11:36 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Kate and I’m from Canada. I'm a biology major and I want to be a science illustrator. I also love to draw, paint, and do other artistic things.

I think I may be on the spectrum, but I live in the middle of nowhere and there aren’t many resources here. I want to get a diagnosis because I am going to a Master’s program in the fall (hopefully) and it’s on the other side of the country. I have barely been handling undergrad and think some kind of accommodations might help.

I have seen people say to go to a GP so they can give you a referral to a professional, but I don’t really like my GP. He doesn't seem very interested in mental health problems (I went for depression before) and I feel like autism won’t be any different. Could I start by going to my school’s counsellor? I think a note from them make my GP more likely to take me seriously.

Thank you for your replies :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 11:58 pm

Lucky you... BC is the coolest place I've ever traveled in. Just beautiful everywhere in countless ways. Full of awesome people too!

I think you should see about asking that counselor about who they recommend, looks like they would know more about these things than your physician. Or you could just do the requisite googling.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Sylveon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2015, 12:31 am

cberg wrote:
Lucky you... BC is the coolest place I've ever traveled in. Just beautiful everywhere in countless ways. Full of awesome people too!

I think you should see about asking that counselor about who they recommend, looks like they would know more about these things than your physician. Or you could just do the requisite googling.

Hi! Yes, it's lovely, I'm really glad I live here.

And I think I probably will go see the counselor. I don't think there are many people around here who specialize in ASD, unfortunately..

Nagalis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2015, 12:50 am

Yeah, you should definitely bring it up with your counselor.

The way it works here is that whoever is working with you on it, they will need a second opinion in order to actually diagnose you. At least with adults. From what I understand, it's simply because you've had years and years to develop all kinds of things, and it can be hard to map how many possible traits, if any, you were showing as a kid.

It took me six years.
But a big part of it was a complete ass of a doctor.
Too proud to be professional, I guess.
Told me to get lost when the psychological tests were showing she might be wrong and that I am on the spectrum.

So, godspeed.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 1:07 am

In theory it's always possible to get an evaluation by video chat...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 1:20 am

Hey Kate welcome. :sunny:

Sylveon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2015, 3:09 am

Thank you for your replies, I went and scheduled an appointment with a counsellor :mrgreen:

Nagalis wrote:
Yeah, you should definitely bring it up with your counselor.

The way it works here is that whoever is working with you on it, they will need a second opinion in order to actually diagnose you. At least with adults. From what I understand, it's simply because you've had years and years to develop all kinds of things, and it can be hard to map how many possible traits, if any, you were showing as a kid.

It took me six years.
But a big part of it was a complete ass of a doctor.
Too proud to be professional, I guess.
Told me to get lost when the psychological tests were showing she might be wrong and that I am on the spectrum.

So, godspeed.

Ah, the second opinion thing makes sense, but that's sad that it took so long. It's kind of worrying that things like that happen, just because of someone's pride..

cberg wrote:
In theory it's always possible to get an evaluation by video chat...

That's true, I wonder how accurate those are

RoadRatt wrote:
Hey Kate welcome. :sunny:

Hello and thank you ^^

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 8:54 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

ziggyramone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull