Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2015, 11:28 pm

Hello,
I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was very young, and well lets just say I had to live most of my life feeling I was a different species than everyone else... it was hard, still is. I never really got to meet with other Aspies so this will be new for me. I feel I needed to come here because I am hitting a very hard time in my life. My father died the year I graduated college and I feel I have lost the one person in my family who actually understood anything about me and my defective wiring. He was actually the one who knew I could learn where teachers gave up and re-conveyed information to me in a way he knew I would understand. You don't get many like Dad. Now I am 27, struggling with finding skilled of gainful employment that can help me become independent. I am starting to feel helpless and useless... and well... if you have Aspergers you probably know where thoughts of hopelessness and depression lead....

Which I probably why I am here, to see how other Aspies cope with themselves and handle themselves. i guess this is just a hard time for me and working a sh***y unskilled job, living at home and getting rejected applications is not helping my depression.

I tend to cope best when I have 'distractions' but rather than wasting time with games (which I have probably played to DEATH) I will instead try to socialize with others like me.

let me know what you all and into and will gladly share what I am into. and I like to do projects if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

"All knowledge starts with a question"

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:10 am

Hey SwissPagan welcome. :sunny:

Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine almost two years ago so I know how that feels.

I am into music and video games. If I'm not listening to music I'm probably playing a video game and if the video game doesn't need me to hear what's going on I'm doing both at the same time. :D

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 12:38 pm

I kinda do that too, or listen to a video during the game, I tend to favor historical strategy games myself. I like to draw and write too, but lately haven't had much practice...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 4:23 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

January20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

Hi SwissPagan,

I lost my dad in 2013, and he was the only person that seemed to understand me as well because I suspect he either was an Aspie or had Aspie-like qualities. The saying, "I am my father's child" seemed appropo. However, I was not speaking to him for about 1.5 years before he died, and he tried to call me about a week or 2 before he died. The loss of my dad is what really got me trying to figure out why the hell I have such social dysfunction; my dad who was, also, socially dysfuntional avoided personal contact with people (even me, which I forced anyway) but he loved to call everyone on the phone and belonged to several conspiracy theory blogs and websites, which is how he coped with who he was. Not loosing yourself in your self is the key to acceptance of self. I have a theory that when we cannot socialize or make friends well then we should still try to get involved in social groups or causes that still keep up functioning as members of society. Find a group or cause that you can relate to or that you feel could benefit from your volunteerism or time. The problem with autism and aspergers is that they are very selfish or self-involved conditions, which are not easily corrected; therefore, sometimes we have to do things for others that may not be self-serving at all. I found that attending an Aspie meetup to be helpful just in that it got me out of my own head for 2 hours and made me pay attention to other's who are also suffering. I felt a sense of belonging and I did not expect anyone to go anything for me other than for them to share their own experiences.

Find a autism or aspie group to join and participate in. You might even have to start one up yourself via meetup.com if none exists in your immediate area. It is okay to be autistic or aspie, but it is better to know you are not alone!! :heart: