Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BlueYellowBrownGreen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2015, 8:33 am

Why do you believe in God? What are some of your Godly experiences?

I am looking for answers from people who believe rather than answers from people who don't believe. I've already heard the arguments as to why people don't believe in God. It can get pretty heated on some forums too, with people calling others stupid. I am not trying to convert people. I am looking for people who believe to give me their feedback. :)

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 9:01 am

I do, and the basic answer for the "why?" is because it makes sense to me.
I just think that it's too hard to believe that our entire universe was the result of something spontaneous, i can't see sense in that mainly because of how perfect and "in place" everything is.
I don't deny science (things like evolution/big bang) but, for me, what some people see as a spontaneous, chaotic process that took millions of years to happen is, in fact, something that happened way faster than it possible could because it was created by God. What we see and study are evidences that those things happened, but for me it just haven't happened out of nowhere.

Last edited by Andrejake on 19 Jan 2015, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 9:05 am

This thread belongs in PP&R, not GAD.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 9:13 am

I believe in God. I have never seen / heard anything to prove differently.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2015, 9:53 am

Fnord wrote:
This thread belongs in PP&R, not GAD.

It's probably better off in Random or something. In PPR, someone (whistles innocently) might tear apart a hypothetical faulty reason to believe in a god.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2015, 11:18 am

I'm not religious but my family are Christians. My parents were brought up in Christian families and so believe in God. God was a major part of my mother's life when she was younger. She went to Catholic school.

My father had "Godly experiences" when he was very ill in hospital. He felt as if God was watching over him and protecting him, keeping him company when visiting hours were over.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 3:14 pm

I believe in god and everything in my religion, because its the truth

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2015, 3:18 pm

I believe. Other than being raised as a Christian, I'm not really sure why I believe. I guess one reason is I think the big bang theory and evolution are dumb; another is that I've seen what would be considered "miracles" (nothing huge, of course) happen when they really shouldn't have.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 6:54 pm

I believe it is possible for this universe to be a simulation, hence, the something that created this simulation could be called a god.

Fane7545
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2015, 7:47 pm

I believe in God because His existence has solid logic behind it. There are good arguments for the existence of God (some of which use the Big Bang theory to support their premises), and they are more convincing to me than the arguments against the existence of God.

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 10:01 pm

I do believe in God. Though I don't feel that God & science are mutually exclusive.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 1:08 am

(Moved from General Autism Discussion to Politics, Philosophy and Religion)

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 1:34 am

I used to believe... up til around 52.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 2:14 am

I believe in God as an existential substrate. Like if you could draw a Venn diagram that describes the entirety of existence - not only everything that ever has existed or will exist, but every thought that's ever been or will be thought - then God is the page upon which that diagram is drawn.

I don't believe in a personified deity. I'm comfortable with the label 'panentheist'.

Don't know if I've ever had a Godly experience but I'm fairly well acquainted with the mystical experience, a feeling of unity with the divine that is at once both immanent and transcendent. It's an overwhelming sensation of profound, ineffable significance and unfathomable beauty; like getting punched in the gut by Euler's Identity.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 2:23 am

Quite honestly, I personally would be insane not to believe in GOD.. as I experience real life miracles almost everyday.. that can never be explained by science alone...

And yes.. I've done science as a REAL LIFE profession.. so I know what the hell I'M talking about...

God to me is the Force of ALL THAT IS.. per Mother Nature TRUE allowing human Relative Free Will to absolutely do REAL LIFE MAGICK.. PER THE DIRECTOR.. producer.. and actor of one's own play with Relative Free WILL...

Some folks tap much further into this higher power OF GOD by seeking with no doubts at all..and NEVER EVER GIVING UP WITH HUMAN RELATIVE FREE WILL...

And some folks rarely tap into it IF @ALL FROM MY extensive experience through the course of my lifetime.. relating to All That IS. :)

AND HELL no.. at least for ME.. NO RELIGION REQUIRED AT ALL.. AS the TRUE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE OF GOD is built into human instinct and intuition.. at least in my case..:)

As documented AND EVIDENCED AS such.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick