High Functioning Autism and Aspergers

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jan 2015, 10:15 pm

I had a slight speech delay but became pretty good verbally after abit except I had problems pronouncing certain sounds that required speech therapy till I started high-school; high verbal vocabulary thou I sometimes say the wrong words due to my dyslexia. I never been much of a visual person but I do have a low vision disorder & I have problems with my brain not processing things I do see. I say I'm an Aspie sense I seem to fit the profile minus having Aspie or autistic strengths. Would I be HFA with the slight speech delay?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 7:14 pm

Jezebel wrote:
Jensen wrote:
Somewhere I read, that the difficulty distinguishing the subtypes (many overlaps) made scientific results unreliable, so it was decided, in order to give it all akind of a new start, to regard it all as a spectrum of the same disorder and name severity by number, - aspergers being level 1.

Hmm, I'm aware of the issues distinguishing between the diagnoses and how they were given inconsistently, because the DSM stated that as their reasoning for the changes in the DSM-5. I know that AS and HFA are often considered equivalent to the diagnosis of ASD level 1 under the DSM-5.

Was it a recent article? As far as I know, the DSM and ICD are the only manuals used for ASD diagnoses and as ASPartOfMe mentioned, ICD-11 won't be out until 2017 and they still seem to be debating whether they're going to keep AS as a diagnosis.
It was on Asperger Test Site about six weeks- two months ago.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2015, 7:34 pm

Jensen wrote:
It was on Asperger Test Site about six weeks- two months ago.

I've never heard of that site before. :oops:
I'll look it up. Thank you!

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2015, 9:03 pm

For me, it all depends on the 'function' to classify whether I will perform at high function or low function.

For example, I can do a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle in 10-15 minutes, but it takes me half an hour to tie my shoelaces or put a key on a key-chain.

I can philosophise and theorise for hours at a high level, but when it comes down to practical living skills, social communication and basic 'street smarts' I just cannot cope.

People have said I am 'high functioning'....yeah, they haven't seen my numerous bad days yet when I can't function at all.

So, I have developed the term 'mid-functioning' (I don't know if such a term exists)... I can do some things and limited things very well, but everything else I am basically crap at.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 2:38 pm

SoMissunderstood wrote:
For me, it all depends on the 'function' to classify whether I will perform at high function or low function.

So, I have developed the term 'mid-functioning' (I don't know if such a term exists)... I can do some things and limited things very well, but everything else I am basically crap at.

Mid-functioning is already used by autistics. I am higher than mid-functioning but not quite high-functioning either.