Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2015, 2:45 am

I've been diagnosed as autistic, but I think I may also be schizoid. Is that possible? Or does one cancel out the other?

I'm most definitely autistic, but I think I may also be one of those "secret schizoids" because of the type or relationships (or lack thereof) I have with people. I know how to make them like me. I have this "other person" that comes out when socializing, so my outward appearance is all smiles and dorky charm, but on the inside I don't give a crap. I don't think I would even care if my best friend of 6 years dropped dead right now.

I don't enjoy being in public or with people. I spend, literally, all my time in my dorm room not talking to anyone. I sometimes go days without saying word, other than my order to the cashiers for food, and I'm not interested in going out. I don't want sex or a boy/girlfriend. I do have a very flat effect, except when I'm being that "other person." I take pleasure in some activities, but it's not that strong. I have my special interests and I love them, but other than that, nothing else. The only person I have fun with and actually care about is my little sister.

The character I've always most identified with is Dexter Morgan, which caused me too look up his disorder. That was 5 years ago, but I thought I was being paranoid, so stopped thinking about it, but the thoughts are back again...

I kind of needed to let this out. Anyways, am I just crazy over here or is it possible to be both?

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm

Before I was diagnosed with Asperger’s (in 2013), I suspected being schizoid. However, the clinical psychologist (who diagnosed me) indicated that I didn’t have the “presentation” of someone who was schizoid (whatever that means).

In any event, I thought that the diagnosis of one (Asperger’s) precluded the diagnosis of the other (Schizoid).

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2015, 5:46 pm

I have a similar story , however, I believe my neurologist believes that I could be potential psychopath or schizo since i told him that I do not see any value in human life. I told them the only reason I am not breaking any laws as the punishment is too great to justify the breaking of the laws. Here is where my so call delusion come up, I told him I want to torture people until they return to their true self. Basically, I want the survival of the strongest back and none of this moral and ethics make believe games. I guess my ideas are too crazy hence why they believe that I could be the a schizo or psychopath. However, the only problem is that I can logically explain all of my ideas unlike them where they say people have value just because. So, I believe society is the crazy one and not myself.

Back to the main question. I still have a hunch that society is creating all these "crazy" people since we are not creatures design to live in such a meaningless society. Thus, we have a bunch of evolution garbage that does not fit into how society is currently run.

I too put on a fake me to the world. He is a weak willed pathetic man who has a good heart. I absolute hate him, however, he is good mask to put on to the public.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jan 2015, 10:24 pm

Schizoid & autism can not coexsit so you can only have one. However there can be a lot of overlap with the symptoms & Aspies can develop Schizoid traits. It's also not uncommon for some Aspies to be mistakenly diagnosed with Schizoid instead of Aspergers(that happened to me)

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2015, 11:06 pm

I do have some schizoid traits. I prefer being alone, and getting lonely is extremely rare for me. Also, I'm very detached.

Henry Armitage
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2015, 6:23 pm

I was (mis)diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder in 1984 as a depressed college student who had attempted suicide. It would be 30 years before I was diagnosed correctly as an aspie. As already mentioned, there can be a lot of overlap. Best of luck in finding the truth for yourself.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 4:28 pm

I’ve been told by my Doctor that I am AS with Schizoid tendencies. It seems to me you could have both as one is a neurological condition and the other is a personality disorder.

klausnrooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2015, 9:09 pm

People are so complex I'm sure you can easily meet the specs for both. As Hannibal Lecter says, "Starling, do you think you can dissect me with this blunt little tool?"

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 5:51 pm

The distinction between Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Schizotypal Disorder, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder is not clear-cut.

There's a significant overlap in symptoms and genetic correlation between each of these "disorders". Co-morbidity is also very common.

Personally, I lean towards the notion that Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Schizotypal Disorder, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder are not individual conditions but as different expressions of the same spectrum.

I would also argue that these are not disorders, but normal variations within human behavior that have been pathologized for no other reason but the rather eccentric and unusual behavior of people within, which makes them more difficult to manipulate and control.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 6:03 pm

The DSM implies that a people must not be diagnosed with both ASD and schizoid PD, so most likely no one would diagnose someone with both. However, I see no reason why they could not co-exist.

As for the characteristics you mentioned, they are not clearly schizoid. For example, not wanting to be around people is symptomatic of ASD, anxiety, and even depression. Schizoids are actually more indifferent to people than positively averse to their presence. The reasons for your behavior are what determine the proper diagnosis, not just the behavior itself.