Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

emax10000
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2015, 11:37 pm

This is one of those things where I am hoping really hard it turns out to be not completely true. If it is, than it is one of the most glaring examples I have seen yet of why we struggle, so to speak.

http://emmashopebook.com/2015/01/13/the ... mans-life/

Quote:
There’s a young man, his name is Reginald. Everyone calls him Neli. He was on the high school wrestling team, wore a key on a chain around his neck, liked to hold three playing cards, loved his hoodie, repeated “television and movie lines ” and carried a “string that he runs through his fingers.” He was described as being shy and he liked going to his local library, which was two miles from his home. But one day none of that mattered. One day someone saw Neli sitting on the grass outside the library waiting for it to open. They called the police, reporting a “suspicious male, wearing a hoodie, possibly in possession of a gun.”
Neli is black.
Neli is also Autistic.
All the schools within a few miles of the library “went on lockdown.” SWAT teams were called in. That’s at least five schools, though one report said it was eight. Five schools. Eight schools. Lock down. SWAT team. All because an anonymous source said they saw someone suspicious sitting outside a library.
Suspicious could mean any number of things. Maybe it means someone who moves differently, keeps their head down, stares at their feet, doesn’t look you in the eye when you speak to them or doesn’t answer you at all when you ask them a question. Maybe they rock back and forth as they stand or sit, maybe it means they run a piece of string through their fingers or maybe they twirl it around and around the way my daughter does.
Neli was found, frisked and was unarmed. This is where the story should have ended. It is at this point that the situation should have been diffused. This is where the person who had the ability to calm things down could have, but chose not to. Maybe a parent, teacher, someone in the community who knew him, who could have vouched for him might have stepped in. Except the school resource officer who approached Neli and frisked him, did know him or at least had seen him at his high school. Whatever he knew or didn’t know wasn’t helpful as Neli’s life was about to get much, much worse. Neli was forced down over the hood of a car and told he was being taken in.
According to one report Neli cried, “I didn’t do anything wrong!” The arresting officer replied, “You don’t have to – Welcome to Stafford County.” Then he held a gun to Neli’s head and said, “I will blow your head off, n****r.” Neli fought back and in doing so the officer was hurt.
The jury deliberated for three days, found Neli guilty of “assaulting a police officer among other charges” and recommended a sentence of ten and a half years.
Ten and a half years.
The judge disagreed and sentenced Reginald Latson to two years in prison with time served. Except Reginald had done nothing wrong. Except that ONE YEAR in prison for seeming “suspicious” to someone is not justice.
“Suspicious” could mean someone who utters lines from a favorite movie or says something that is considered out of context or not relevant to the conversation. Or maybe suspicious means “not white” and when combined with any of these other things this results in people imagining there’s a weapon as well. Or maybe not being white is all it takes. But one thing is certain, being viewed “suspicious” and black and Autistic in today’s world can get you locked up, sentenced by a jury of your peers to ten and a half years, put in solitary confinement for most of your time in prison, and when you’re broken, when you give up the will to live and try to kill yourself, it’s enough reason to put you in a straight jacket, restrain you for hours, hours in a chair, and then slap you with another charge to make sure you never get out of prison.

I am really hoping this is just one gigantic, made up hoax and didn't happen. I am honestly hoping for that here.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 12:00 am

Tragically, it's real

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2015, 12:38 am

It seams that in this age of terrorism and paranoioa, people have checked their brains at the door. Where were the people who knew this guy and could vouch for him? I certainly hope he has someone to go to bat for him and get this appealed.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 1:35 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
Tragically, it's real

SMH...

This is the world we now live in, where society is governed by paranoia and lies.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 3:46 pm

He's been conditionally pardoned. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=275255

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 2:57 pm

emax10000 wrote:
This is one of those things where I am hoping really hard it turns out to be not completely true. If it is, than it is one of the most glaring examples I have seen yet of why we struggle, so to speak.

http://emmashopebook.com/2015/01/13/the ... mans-life/

Quote:
There’s a young man, his name is Reginald. Everyone calls him Neli. He was on the high school wrestling team, wore a key on a chain around his neck, liked to hold three playing cards, loved his hoodie, repeated “television and movie lines ” and carried a “string that he runs through his fingers.” He was described as being shy and he liked going to his local library, which was two miles from his home. But one day none of that mattered. One day someone saw Neli sitting on the grass outside the library waiting for it to open. They called the police, reporting a “suspicious male, wearing a hoodie, possibly in possession of a gun.”
Neli is black.
Neli is also Autistic.
All the schools within a few miles of the library “went on lockdown.” SWAT teams were called in. That’s at least five schools, though one report said it was eight. Five schools. Eight schools. Lock down. SWAT team. All because an anonymous source said they saw someone suspicious sitting outside a library.
Suspicious could mean any number of things. Maybe it means someone who moves differently, keeps their head down, stares at their feet, doesn’t look you in the eye when you speak to them or doesn’t answer you at all when you ask them a question. Maybe they rock back and forth as they stand or sit, maybe it means they run a piece of string through their fingers or maybe they twirl it around and around the way my daughter does.
Neli was found, frisked and was unarmed. This is where the story should have ended. It is at this point that the situation should have been diffused. This is where the person who had the ability to calm things down could have, but chose not to. Maybe a parent, teacher, someone in the community who knew him, who could have vouched for him might have stepped in. Except the school resource officer who approached Neli and frisked him, did know him or at least had seen him at his high school. Whatever he knew or didn’t know wasn’t helpful as Neli’s life was about to get much, much worse. Neli was forced down over the hood of a car and told he was being taken in.
According to one report Neli cried, “I didn’t do anything wrong!” The arresting officer replied, “You don’t have to – Welcome to Stafford County.” Then he held a gun to Neli’s head and said, “I will blow your head off, n****r.” Neli fought back and in doing so the officer was hurt.
The jury deliberated for three days, found Neli guilty of “assaulting a police officer among other charges” and recommended a sentence of ten and a half years.
Ten and a half years.
The judge disagreed and sentenced Reginald Latson to two years in prison with time served. Except Reginald had done nothing wrong. Except that ONE YEAR in prison for seeming “suspicious” to someone is not justice.
“Suspicious” could mean someone who utters lines from a favorite movie or says something that is considered out of context or not relevant to the conversation. Or maybe suspicious means “not white” and when combined with any of these other things this results in people imagining there’s a weapon as well. Or maybe not being white is all it takes. But one thing is certain, being viewed “suspicious” and black and Autistic in today’s world can get you locked up, sentenced by a jury of your peers to ten and a half years, put in solitary confinement for most of your time in prison, and when you’re broken, when you give up the will to live and try to kill yourself, it’s enough reason to put you in a straight jacket, restrain you for hours, hours in a chair, and then slap you with another charge to make sure you never get out of prison.

I am really hoping this is just one gigantic, made up hoax and didn't happen. I am honestly hoping for that here.

If true, this is simple racism with autism as a side issue...
Welcome to the USA...