Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 3:48 am

Imagine the US with a population of 3,000,000 people.

The first US census in 1790 counted 3,929,214. And that was in a much smaller US than today.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:09 pm

Janissy wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Due to all the wars the rapes the pillaging of land and the greed let alone the polution of this planet times like these make me wish that at least 99.9% of the human population was to be exterminated. Its hard to tell from the good and the bad anymore, the definition of humanity these days is no longer the definition of what it once was all I see is hate greed lust and personal gain.

When was this golden age when greed, lust and personal gain weren't motivators? When was it that war, rape and pillaging of the land weren't happening? Ok, pillaging of the land only started with the advent of agriculture and has accelerated in line with technology and increased population. But agricultural people certainly wanted to pillage the land prior to technology making it so easy. That's what "dominion over nature" is all about. Hunter/gatherers don't need to clear cut forests to turn them into crop fields. However, there is some evidence that the megafauna of our ancient past were hunted to extinction by paleolithic humans, so if true, that countas as pillaging the earth.

There is evidence that the world is a less violent place than it used to be. It's just war technology can make a single violent event more destructive (Hiroshima+Nagasaki) and communication technology can make us aware of violence in literally every corner of the globe so it seems to surround us even though that surrounding is an illusion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/22/world-less-violent-stats_n_1026723.html

linked article wrote:
It seems as if violence is everywhere, but it's really on the run.

Yes, thousands of people have died in bloody unrest from Africa to Pakistan, while terrorists plot bombings and kidnappings. Wars drag on in Iraq and Afghanistan. In peaceful Norway, a man massacred 69 youths in July. In Mexico, headless bodies turn up, victims of drug cartels. This month eight people died in a shooting in a California hair salon.

Yet, historically, we've never had it this peaceful.

Aspie Otaku wrote:
As the human population continues to grow more and more land and resources are depleted and polluted!

This is a problem we can solve with technology, to use what we have more efficiently.

Quote:
More rapists are born and more murderers are born, more wars are waged and more followers brainwashed by religions to justify killing raping and stealing land.

This happens at a slower rate than it did before. See above link. The number of people who have committed rape and/or murder is arguably a lower percent of the population than it had been in the past. And if you think that religion being used to justify killing, raping and stealing land is new (or at least more frequent) you need to read some history. The history of probably any country will do.
Quote:
I know I might come off as some monster for saying this but sometimes I think that if 99.9% of the human population was exterminated it would solve everything and there would be peace.

If people didn't exist, the problems caused by people wouldn't exist. But that seems more a tautology than a solution.
Quote:
I would be the last human being living at peace alone in the wilderness and even if females were to survive I would abstain to ensure human extinction because I know they do not love me they are just desperate to procreate as a species to prevent extinction, I no longer care for this species.

Why should you be spared when everyone else dies? This is just misanthropy disguised as rescue of the earth.

You say: "There is evidence that the world is a less violent place than it used to be." , but it's hard to be accurate.

I recently read a man's story as he reminisced about long walks in New York's Central Park in the middle of the night people were accustomed to enjoy. I don't think the park is safer now than then. My personal belief is most of the crime today is fueled by drugs, which were less available (or legal) in centuries past.

Are the "Muslim killing Muslim" scenarios more prevalent now than the past? Or is the advent of better killing methods responsible?

And today "greed lust and personal gain" is now called "Capitalism" and is extolled as the ideal trait for a candidate for office of President, by the Republican Party.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2015, 3:50 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Pizzagal3000 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Pizzagal3000 wrote:
I kinda noticed there are quite a few otakus(anime fans) on this thread. Is there some kind of correlation between anime and depression? I can only assume that alot of otakus are depressed based on this thread and that the majority of anime content have very despondent themes(i.e. rape, incest, murder, grief,). Which is why I had to cease watching them altogether.
No correlation here my depression is from years and years of abuse and upon observation of horrible stuff that goes on in the news and the world. Granted there is anime with all the horrible stuff mentioned but not all of it, it depends on what your watching. Want to be depressed and wake up to reality pick up a local newspaper and read the headlines another bombing going on or something horrible, forest burnt down etc.

I should have resisted to appear as if I minimized the cause of any person's depression. :(

I wish I would have said that viewing negative content(anime or not) over a chronic period of time, may be a cause of any human's depression.

I would like to suggest to you to perhaps choose to view anime with positive themes instead(friendship, comedy, love,), if you really are watching macabre content from anime(or anything else for that matter, such as the news :( ).
Its quite alright most of the animes I watch are the ones with possitive settings etc I steer clear of the kind with rape and such because I see to much of that crap going on irl anime is my escape from the cruel and unforgiving reality. I like the kinds where the bad guy gets sent to justice or defeated or changes his way although it does not happen until many seasons later. I also like goofy animes like Shin Chan for laughs and such because the world needs comedy in dark times like these. Anime itself has a very broad genre from normal decent wholesome entertainment to dark twisted violent and realistically dark and sadistic crap some I even avoid. Anime just fills the gaps most westernized animated shows do not cover and include slice of life types like Watamote and Welcome to the NHK bothe Watamote and Welcome to the NHK I relate to alot on those protagonists esspecially Sato. My ASD combined with decades of mental sexual and physical abuse have left me in a borderline Hikkikomori like state! I trust very few people i am afraid and shut myself in from the world.

You know what? I think you are very intelligent. I think this based on the things you type and how you typed them. You are very punctual and wordy. Very nice! :D

Also, I do agree with everything you said here. Especially the "world needing comedy" part. We need to laugh like how we need to drink water to survive! :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 3:54 pm

I second that, Pizza---even if you don't think I'M "intelligent and punctual." :wink:

Intelligence and punctuality happen to be two things which I value in people.

Another is the ability to laugh at one's self, and to not take one's self too seriously.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 4:00 pm

yeah i think humans are a bunch of stinking rats too. or actually that's an insult to rats. was never loved by anyone. never loved anyone. I think 99.9% is too generous, make it 100. press the nuke button already.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 4:02 pm

Being robbed while traveling used to be a rather big worry.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 4:19 pm

Robert A. Heinlein wrote:
"I believe in my fellow citizens. Our headlines are splashed with crime, yet for every criminal there are 10,000 honest decent kindly men. If it were not so, no child would live to grow up, business could not go on from day to day. Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime."

Robert A. Heinlein, "This I Believe"

Or, as Starlord put it, "I may be an as*hole, but I'm not 100% a dick."

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm

Magneto wrote:
Robert A. Heinlein wrote:
If it were not so, no child would live to grow up, business could not go on from day to day

like children growing up and business going on is something to f*****g celebrate

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 4:33 pm

Why yes, it is.

Why does it matter to you so much that other people are enjoying living? What other option do we have?

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 5:05 pm

Magneto wrote:
Why yes, it is.

Why does it matter to you so much that other people are enjoying living? What other option do we have?

I just pity people like you, which I see all the time. They are just mindless.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 10:37 am

I enjoy seeing people growing up.

Business: I'm not a business-oriented person, but I see the need for it in this modern age.

I don't pity myself for liking life to be lived.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 3:45 pm

I think this way about the world when I'm depressed which I am most of the time but I do believe that there are good things and people in this world, during my childhood I remember I loved everything due to the circumstances but then so many things happened and the circumstances changed so I started to hate everything, I'm so sad I really wish I could rewind time and stay back at that time, the people I was around back then were good, some are still around but now they aren't the same as they were, I still keep dreaming the things I miss would come back which I'm sure won't
After witnessing this harsh reality I don't want to think about it whenever I try that it pushes me so hard to the darkness and makes me more conscious about that I'm in it, I try to do good things but it doesn't improve my state. Isn't this ironic just when I'm about to do good in my life it snatches the chance away from me, I try to fix things and make myself feel better but its always the same.
All those bad things happened because people don't think about others they only think about themselves and what benefits them
Illuminating that much humans won't help, its just like war when both sides fight killing off eachother thinking that it would bring peace

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 12:26 am

Pizzagal3000 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Pizzagal3000 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Pizzagal3000 wrote:
I kinda noticed there are quite a few otakus(anime fans) on this thread. Is there some kind of correlation between anime and depression? I can only assume that alot of otakus are depressed based on this thread and that the majority of anime content have very despondent themes(i.e. rape, incest, murder, grief,). Which is why I had to cease watching them altogether.
No correlation here my depression is from years and years of abuse and upon observation of horrible stuff that goes on in the news and the world. Granted there is anime with all the horrible stuff mentioned but not all of it, it depends on what your watching. Want to be depressed and wake up to reality pick up a local newspaper and read the headlines another bombing going on or something horrible, forest burnt down etc.

I should have resisted to appear as if I minimized the cause of any person's depression. :(

I wish I would have said that viewing negative content(anime or not) over a chronic period of time, may be a cause of any human's depression.

I would like to suggest to you to perhaps choose to view anime with positive themes instead(friendship, comedy, love,), if you really are watching macabre content from anime(or anything else for that matter, such as the news :( ).
Its quite alright most of the animes I watch are the ones with possitive settings etc I steer clear of the kind with rape and such because I see to much of that crap going on irl anime is my escape from the cruel and unforgiving reality. I like the kinds where the bad guy gets sent to justice or defeated or changes his way although it does not happen until many seasons later. I also like goofy animes like Shin Chan for laughs and such because the world needs comedy in dark times like these. Anime itself has a very broad genre from normal decent wholesome entertainment to dark twisted violent and realistically dark and sadistic crap some I even avoid. Anime just fills the gaps most westernized animated shows do not cover and include slice of life types like Watamote and Welcome to the NHK bothe Watamote and Welcome to the NHK I relate to alot on those protagonists esspecially Sato. My ASD combined with decades of mental sexual and physical abuse have left me in a borderline Hikkikomori like state! I trust very few people i am afraid and shut myself in from the world.

You know what? I think you are very intelligent. I think this based on the things you type and how you typed them. You are very punctual and wordy. Very nice! :D

Also, I do agree with everything you said here. Especially the "world needing comedy" part. We need to laugh like how we need to drink water to survive! :wink:
Without laughter there is no happiness only more darkness sorrow and hate! I wish people learned to get along together have a few laughs and not kill eachother or rape eachother let alone kill off animals for fun and destroy habitat. We need comedy to see somewhat a light to everything in life otherwise we are lost! I wish everyone could get along and put aside their differences and realize how much damage they are not only doing to eachother but to the planet! Humans can remain destructive to the point of wiping out all life forms with pollution and destruction but as a result will wipe themselves out, nature is able to adjust and survive such cataclysms unlike humanity, what we do to nature effects us even more we fail to realize that.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 1:02 am

Speaking of which it reminds me of the greatest speech of a long dead comedian I have idolized and he is right this applies to women as well I wish this video said women as well I know for sure women have as much goodness as men do! We need to listen to this speech and work together and make the world a better place not only for human kind but for nature as well because what we do to nature has more effect to us than it does to nature as well nature can live on without mankind no matter how much we poison this planet! We need to live in harmony with nature with the combination of compassion and technology for the better good. We are all equal we are all human and we need to work better to make the world a better place otherwise all will be lost and indeed the human race will wipe itself out!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:43 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Speaking of which it reminds me of the greatest speech of a long dead comedian I have idolized and he is right this applies to women as well I wish this video said women as well I know for sure women have as much goodness as men do! We need to listen to this speech and work together and make the world a better place not only for human kind but for nature as well because what we do to nature has more effect to us than it does to nature as well nature can live on without mankind no matter how much we poison this planet! We need to live in harmony with nature with the combination of compassion and technology for the better good. We are all equal we are all human and we need to work better to make the world a better place otherwise all will be lost and indeed the human race will wipe itself out!

People really are sheep/parrots/puppets. The like bar of that video shows how gullible and mindless people are.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 5:38 pm

tomato wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

People really are sheep/parrots/puppets. The like bar of that video shows how gullible and mindless people are.

To be mindful in AWARENESS CAN DIVINE Heaven.

TO BE mindful in THOUGHTS CAN BE Human Hell.

IT depends on the thoughts and the individual.

But negative thoughts CAN REIGN Literal Human HELL.

And mindful awareness CAN BE Literal Human Heaven NOW.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick