Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2015, 8:38 pm

Saw this today and just HAD to share this video -- it's by a local teen (presumably not on here yet, as far as I can tell anyways), but has a VERY moving, inspiring, and touching video raising awareness. Even has the same first name as I do! He's 15 and is an Eagle Scout on the spectrum. As part of his community service project, he made an autism awareness video. Made the rounds on the local news channels as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86MXGIDG7UM

Rock on! :mrgreen: I for one applaud this fine young gentleman. They even said on the news that he is looking to go to college and one day own his own business. Frankly this needs as much exposure as it can get -- it's only got about 1,750 views right now! I don't know about you, but I'm sharing this with just about anyone and everyone that I can. Got a laugh out of the post-credits sequence too. Funny stuff! :D

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 8:57 pm

Michael's video was better than all the public-service announcements of Autism $peaks. They could learn a lot from him.

I loved the Rain Man reference and the ending especially. :lol:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 10:03 am

As a current member of the BSA and very close to obtaining the rank of Eagle myself, I am so glad to see this scout use his Autism not only as a way to educate the populous, but to use it as his Eagle project as well. I didn't even know such a thing would have been acceptable as a project.

An Eagle Scout who has Autism talking about the subject holds so much more water and validity that whatever A$ spews, because unlike the latter, he is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. :wink: (which A$ is not)

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2015, 4:19 pm

Pretty damn good video, and admittedly we have to give props to him. He had some balls to do this and present his differences not as a disease or tragedy but as something to be proud of, something to look up to.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 9:55 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Michael's video was better than all the public-service announcements of Autism $peaks. They could learn a lot from him.

But they they won't they are to "impaired". That is why these videos are needed.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2015, 8:05 pm

Yeah. The only way the "impaired" label will ever be overcome is if we have our own "media" per se.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 6:03 pm

I saw today that the Boy Scouts Of America Facebook page made a post about Michael. Lots of people are so happy for him and saying how their sons are in the scouts as well with Aspergers, how they are going to make Eagle or have achieved Eagle, and how being in the BSA really helped them out in more ways than one. Some of the commenters were actual scouts with Aspergers, myself included.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 8:04 pm

Now, this is the type of autism awareness that I hope to see more of, this April. :thumleft:

Heyman15678
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2015, 11:13 pm

I have Asperger's and myself earned Eagle rank. Not sure if theres a video about Aspergers but thought Id let you know.