Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Can you think of anyone who is truly unconventional?

There seems to be two meanings to "unconventional." The more popular meaning seems to be, not following popular convention. But those who claim to be unconventional are almost always just following another convention. It doesn't matter how different or weird or new-agey or unpopular it is, there are still agreed principles amongst those who follow a different path. Anarchists, lifestylers, wiccans, rock stars, misanthropes, gypsies, punks, snags, bohemians, trolls, trekkies, truckers, trannies.. whatever the unconventional thing is, it still has its conventions. After all, their conventions are one way that we recognize them.

Some people follow a different convention, because it's more attractive to them. But I also think some people are trying to be more original. All power to them, but it's a rare individual that I've encountered who is distinctly original.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 1:09 pm

Narrator wrote:

There seems to be two meanings to "unconventional." The more popular meaning seems to be, not following popular convention. But those who claim to be unconventional are almost always just following another convention. It doesn't matter how different or weird or new-agey or unpopular it is, there are still agreed principles amongst those who follow a different path. Anarchists, lifestylers, wiccans, rock stars, misanthropes, gypsies, punks, snags, bohemians, trolls, trekkies, truckers, trannies.. whatever the unconventional thing is, it still has its conventions. After all, their conventions are one way that we recognize them.

Some people follow a different convention, because it's more attractive to them. But I also think some people are trying to be more original. All power to them, but it's a rare individual that I've encountered who is distinctly original.

Hmm..

Need I say more. ;)

Truly at one time, I AM about as vanilla as they come.

And i practiced really, REALLY hard to become vanilla.

But yes, truly, I AM one of a Kind, NOW.

Wherever i go, offline or ON. ;)

It truly takes PRACTICE..

To be an original. :)

It comes natural

to i.. 4now...:)

AND TRULY

VANILLA
SUX..
TO
i
AT
LEAST.

And the most amazing thing is, even though I do not fit in anywhere,

People truly LOVE ME for it in real life, PER THEIR WORDS, NOT MINE,

just for the way i dance life now..

IN CREATIVITY, YEAH, in REAL life..

I'm too cool for COOL. ;)

AND THAT'S JUST AN empirical assessment,

per the scientist,

under AND ABOVE the COOL. ;)

AND considering I was a shut-in, a year and half ago, for FIVE LONG YEARS.

IT'S NOT JUST COOL, It's a REAL life Miracle at age 54.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 23 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 1:16 pm

I am one of the most unconventional people around, completely, refreshingly different than the conventions around me and proud of it.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 1:26 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I am one of the most unconventional people around, completely, refreshingly different than the conventions around me and proud of it.

Yeah, and that's why I like you so much, and don't ever let the HATERS CHANGE YOU.

CAUSE as you know THEY'LL NEVER GIVE UP. ;)

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 1:30 pm

I don't try to be conventional or unconventional. I just try to live by my convictions. Sometimes take me in directions that are different from the larger group/s that I may appear to belong to, but not always.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 1:36 pm

aghogday wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Yeah, and that's why I like you so much, and don't ever let the HATERS CHANGE YOU.

Don't worry, I am incredibly stubborn. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 2:02 pm

Even Shakespeare's plays were mostly derived from earlier plays. They were not totally "original."

I'm similar to Nerdygirl as to my views on conventionality/unconventionality.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 2:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Even Shakespeare's plays were mostly derived from earlier plays. They were not totally "original."

I'm similar to Nerdygirl as to my views on conventionality/unconventionality.

I agree, there's nothing totally original or unconventional.

We ALL stand on the shoulders of giants AND not so giant folks. :)

But never the less, it IS the STAND that counts. :)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 2:15 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
aghogday wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Don't worry, I am incredibly stubborn. :lol:

Yeah.. hehe.. me too..

There is a long trail of 'FAILING' folks who 'TRY' to change me. ;)

AND HAHA! NOW that 'we' have the internet, IT IS even documented too. :)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 2:30 pm

I sometimes get annoyed with people who think having a certain opinion makes them incredibly different and original, when really having that same opinion is very common. Like when they think they're the only one who doesn't like a certain celebrity, when really you hear all the time about people disliking that celebrity.

But that could be why I have so much trouble fitting in. I'm too weird for the "mainstream", but not cynical enough for the "outcasts".

I prefer to think of everyone as being special and different from everyone else.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 12:24 am

Narrator wrote:

I can think of lots of characters I've met in my life that used conventionality as a means to an end and by that alone they weren't your bog standard conventional types but whether that makes them truly unconventional to you?

Some of them have pegged it now partly due to their unconventional life styles and others have retired from society in one form or another. Others again have decided to walk the line of mainstream conventionality after all.
As for me, conventionality has always been and will always be a means to an end.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 1:46 am

aghogday wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I hope some of this is not aimed at me. Yes I do criticise ANA, not for being unconventional, rather for not understanding the conventions she is disparaging. No problem here with non conformity as long as the person understands fully why the conformity they are against exists. As to the suggestion that there are ANA "haters" on the forum. Get a grip

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 1:53 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
aghogday wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I hope some of this is not aimed at me. Yes I do criticise ANA, not for being unconventional, rather for not understanding the conventions she is disparaging. No problem here with non conformity as long as the person understands fully why the conformity they are against exists. As to the suggestion that there are ANA "haters" on the forum. Get a grip

It wasn't aimed at anyone, in particular.

And yeah, while there aren't any 'Ana' specific haters on this forum there are plenty 'black and white haters' who express 'hate' for anything that doesn't fit their little paradigms of life. And no I do not necessarily think that's even personal. I see it MOSTLY as literal ignorance in 'HATE' OF WHAT DOESN'T FIT PARADIGMS OF RIGID THINKING.

I know more than that, IN REAL LIFE EFFECTIVE RESULT EXPERIENCE, so I simply share it, as well as Ana.

AND NO ONE EVER CHANGES ME to fit in a little box. :)

So I DO NOT care MORE, whether they try or not. :)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 2:15 am

Weird seldom gets weirder than cberg. for example...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 10:03 am

cberg wrote:
Weird seldom gets weirder than cberg. for example...

Thanks for linking that.

I love alternative music, wherever I find it, and WILL check it out in the future. :)