Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 5:56 pm

lol

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 11:26 pm

They showed the woman being nice and agreeable, the man being somewhat cocky and disagreeable. And the man had much more luck. Women more fussy? Not according to this tiny sample!

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 12:22 am

You mean to tell me men on dating apps just want to get laid? It's not possible! My world is spinning...

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 7:05 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
They showed the woman being nice and agreeable, the man being somewhat cocky and disagreeable. And the man had much more luck. Women more fussy? Not according to this tiny sample!

For them to be fair they should have showed the 2nd date if they happened or cancelled by the girls - because this how it happens in life, girls never say no upfront on the first date.

Do you recall one of my date threads? where I had a fulfilling date for 3 hours ended with a kiss and even we talked about what to do on next outing and.... she became "busy" after that, and I didn't do anything stupid and kept communication at minimum.

This how it happens when the girl is not interested, how she behaves on first date has no meaning, it's the follow up which matters - and this is what they didn't show in the video.

Also the girl in the test was showed as "hottie" in the pic, with the bikini pic - while the pics of the guy where "inspirational" kind of pics, they deliver a different message.
The equivalent guy should have been some more toned type of model guy and with non-inspirational beach photos.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 7:16 am

sometimes i think you put more faith and give more credit to tinder as a legitimate dating website than it deserves, it's a superficial hookup app and nothing more lol

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 10:16 am

^ CafeAulait found her bf there.

You put too much fait that it's just for hookup or that okcupid is much different and better.
Believe me, most women there swipe guys' photos in their inbox in the same way.

CynicalWaffle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2015, 11:30 pm

A better comparison woulda been, a fat girl and a SKINNY guy. Fat guys can get dates easily. In fact they can get them a lot more easily than skinny guys.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 5:31 am

Klowglas wrote:
You mean to tell me men on dating apps just want to get laid? It's not possible! My world is spinning...

I thought tinder was basically about getting laid. Isn't it based on grinder, but for straight people?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 8:35 am

CynicalWaffle wrote:
A better comparison woulda been, a fat girl and a SKINNY guy. Fat guys can get dates easily. In fact they can get them a lot more easily than skinny guys.

I've been fat, skinny, and I am now buff with a 380 lb bench press. When do you think I got laid the most?

spoiler wrote:
When I was a skinny guy going for the pretty-boy look.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 8:41 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

You put too much fait that it's just for hookup or that okcupid is much different and better.

Lol.... my boyfriend was on both OkCupid AND Tinder. He said women on OkCupid are no better/smarter/less-superficial/less-issued than women on tinder. The only thing you know is that the OkCupid women are more certainly looking for a serious relationship... but they are no more interesting or better partners.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 3:17 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Lol.... my boyfriend was on both OkCupid AND Tinder. He said women on OkCupid are no better/smarter/less-superficial/less-issued than women on tinder. The only thing you know is that the OkCupid women are more certainly looking for a serious relationship... but they are no more interesting or better partners.

Your boyfriend is right: Tinder is theoretically better than Okcupid, by far I would say.

First, the Tinder profile is linked to the person's facebook pictures, so one wouldn't be able to put the sexiest/least honest photos on it since they are the same pics on fb, and you can just add a simple one personal text description - this is really enough as a first glimpse. I don't get why it's considered a "Hookup" app while Okc is not, the Hookup reputation I think comes from its sister app Grinder (For gays) but it's not necessarily true for Tinder, the Tinder-FB link makes it a poor choice for men-women hookup.

Secondly, at least, from a pure MALE view, before I chat with a 'match' I would be totally sure that she finds me attractive at the very least, otherwise she wouldn't be a 'match' in the first place.

It's the chat feature which is the most important in Tinder for two to know if they are matching mind-wise. Chat is instant, more natural than a long Okc profile, and there's less time to sculpt things for an ideal projection.

Tinder is more like real life than Okc, The "match" is the first glimpse in real life, and the chat is the first conversation.

On okcupid, there's more room for self-exaggeration and self-sculpting in the profile's content, safer to put less honest photos since it's less likely to be seen by real life friends, and the whole questions/matching system and the whole profile structure there encourages the person to "sculpt" everything (and they get advice from others what to put and how to word things) - the final outcome rarely projects the real person.

Also the girls on okcupid get tons of spam messages from desperate guys, so they start to develop a poor and suspicious view on all guys on okc; guys on okc are very stigmatized (as desperate or pervert) by girls until proving otherwise. Also girls on okc find it hard to concentrate with one guy on chat due to the dozens of messages and chat requests they get by the minutes - this is not the case on Tinder.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 3:32 pm

886 wrote:
sometimes i think you put more faith and give more credit to tinder as a legitimate dating website than it deserves, it's a superficial hookup app and nothing more lol

And just to prove you how okcupid isn't based on a less superficial reality than tinder :)

This was the result of a real experiment on okc conducted by a journalist:

Notice how the 2 most attractive-looking girls almost monopolize the received messages, and notice how the most attractive guy monopolized the guys' received messages.

Quote:
• The women as a group received over 20 times more messages than the men.

• The two most attractive women received 83% of all messages.

• The two most attractive women probably would have received several thousand more if their inboxes hadn’t have reached maximum capacity.

• It took 2 months, 13 days for the most popular woman’s inbox to fill up. At the current rate it would take the most popular man 2.3 years to fill up his.

http://jonmillward.com/blog/attraction- ... xperiment/

This experiment really exposes what Okc is really all about.

Przemek87
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jan 2015, 5:51 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I guess that's the main reason why I gave up on online dating :?. I'm not sure if I should try Tinder.

CynicalWaffle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2015, 8:20 pm

Kurgan wrote:
CynicalWaffle wrote:

I've been fat, skinny, and I am now buff with a 380 lb bench press. When do you think I got laid the most?

spoiler wrote:
When I was a skinny guy going for the pretty-boy look.

Even with the spoiler, I'm still gonna say when you were buff. Skinny dudes get passed over way more than fat girls.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 1:38 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Notice how the 2 most attractive-looking girls almost monopolize the received messages, and notice how the most attractive guy monopolized the guys' received messages.

What...this isn't making sense...I've lost the ability to maths! By my count, the most attractive female got 76 messages and the most attractive male got 12, but there were others who got more than that! :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 2:52 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

What...this isn't making sense...I've lost the ability to maths! By my count, the most attractive female got 76 messages and the most attractive male got 12, but there were others who got more than that! :lol:

Your taste differs a bit from the norm, but not that different, you picked the "2nd-favored-by-most" (the first two females both got full inbox) of each, you still wouldn't think the 0 and 11 as the most attractive ones, which was the point of my post.