Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 6:38 pm

Who thinks it is? We don't discuss aesthetics enough in the forum. Why is music so beautiful to our ears and pleasing to our hearts? Our souls thirst for the eternal song.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 7:21 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Who thinks it is? We don't discuss aesthetics enough in the forum. Why is music so beautiful to our ears and pleasing to our hearts? Our souls thirst for the eternal song.

To use a metaphor..

First there is Dark.. then Light.. then movement or dance.. then song.. or sound.. to fuel the eternal poetry IN Infinity of existence...

A human without a song or dance.. FOR A HeART as ONE EXPRESSED.. is well.. not a reflection of GOD.. as not well..PER MOTHER NATURE TRUE...:)

i have a song and dance in my HeART that makes IT HEART.

AND i often spin around and around and around in dance and song ways.. as of course that IS what GOD does ABOVE to the Milky Way spinning around its BLACK HOLE TO below and electrons spinning nucleuses that create reality as we see IT...:)

The SECRETS OF LIFE ARE IN PLAIN 'sight' for those who have 'eyes' and 'hears' to 'see' THE ESSENCE OF TRUTH AMONG AND BEYOND Humanity.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 12:07 am

I like the sound of the wind over any music though, it never sounds out of tune either...
I can't stand Jazz, it jars my soul. And opera has never been my thing either. those relaxation tapes with panpipes, and waterfalls annoys the hell out of me too. Percussion is my favourite followed by strings for the rest. Rock and techno when it comes to mainstream. Throatsinging for totally off the beaten track. I find it kind of hypnotic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throatsinging

There is a school of Taoist thought that works with healing sounds. The 5 notes of the pentatonic scale resonate with organs as per 5 element theory. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing#Music

Music theory is very structured. Just like mathemathics. If you don't do it right the result is wrong too. It's like the maths of the art world :)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 1:25 am

The other day I drove a family member to the dentist. It was an early appointment and I only got something like a couple hours sleep because I couldn't manage to fall asleep early enough the night before. I took a pillow and blanket with me in the car and drove to the dentist's office, in a neighboring town about twenty miles from here, maybe a little less. I was half asleep the entire time and planned to nap while the family member was in the dentist's office.

When I got there, I reclined my seat and found it quite easy to sleep in the car with the sound of the other vehicles driving down this busy thoroughfare. The sun on my face, which I normally hate with a seething passion, felt pretty nice in the middle of winter, too. So I was surprisingly, completely comfortable and the white noise the passing cars produced really helped me fall asleep fast. I find white noise very relaxing. Before I knew it, an entire hour passed and time to wake up and drive back home. That sleep drunk feeling no longer lingered though, so I drove back much more awake and alert.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 5:03 pm

Quote:
While music has long been recognized as an effective form of therapy to provide an outlet for emotions, the notion of using song, sound frequencies and rhythm to treat physical ailments is a relatively new domain, says psychologist Daniel J. Levitin, PhD, who studies the neuroscience of music at McGill University in Montreal. A wealth of new studies is touting the benefits of music on mental and physical health. For example, in a meta-analysis of 400 studies, Levitin and his postgraduate research fellow, Mona Lisa Chanda, PhD, found that music improves the body's immune system function and reduces stress. Listening to music was also found to be more effective than prescription drugs in reducing anxiety before surgery (Trends in Cognitive Sciences, April, 2013).

In 2009, researchers led by Lauren K. King of the Sun Life Financial Movement Disorders Research and Rehabilitation Centre at Wilfrid Laurier University, in Waterloo, Ontario, found that short-term use of vibroacoustic therapy with Parkinson's disease patients led to improvements in symptoms, including less rigidity and better walking speed with bigger steps and reduced tremors (NeuroRehabilitation, December, 2009). In that study, the scientists exposed 40 Parkinson's disease patients to low-frequency 30-hertz vibration for one minute, followed by a one-minute break. They then alternated the two for a total of 10 minutes. The researchers are now planning a long-term study of the use of vibroacoustic therapy with Parkinson's patients, as part of a new partnership with the University of Toronto's Music and Health Research Collaboratory, which brings together scientists from around the world who are studying music's effect on health.

The group is also examining something called thalmocortical dysrhythmia — a disorientation of rhythmic brain activity involving the thalamus and the outer cortex that appears to play a role in several medical conditions including Parkinson's, fibromyalgia and possibly even Alzheimer's disease, says Bartel, who directs the collaboratory.

"Since the rhythmic pulses of music can drive and stabilize this disorientation, we believe that low-frequency sound might help with these conditions," Bartel says. He is leading a study using vibroacoustic therapy with patients with mild Alzheimer's disease. The hope is that using the therapy to restore normal communication among brain regions may allow for greater memory retrieval, he says.

"We've already seen glimmers of hope in a case study with a patient who had just been diagnosed with the disorder," Bartel says. "After stimulating her with 40-hertz sound for 30 minutes three times a week for four weeks, she could recall the names of her grandchildren more easily, and her husband reported good improvement in her condition."

The goal of all of this work is to develop "dosable" and "prescribable" music therapy and music as medicine protocols that serve specific neurologic functions and attend to deficits that may result from many of these neurologically based conditions. Rather than viewing music only as a cultural phenomenon, Bartel says, the art should be seen as a vibratory stimulus that has cognitive and memory dimensions.

"Only when we look at it in this way do we start to see the interface to how the brain and body work together."

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/11/music.aspx

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 10:40 pm

guzzle wrote:
Quote:
While music has long been recognized as an effective form of therapy to provide an outlet for emotions, the notion of using song, sound frequencies and rhythm to treat physical ailments is a relatively new domain, says psychologist Daniel J. Levitin, PhD, who studies the neuroscience of music at McGill University in Montreal. A wealth of new studies is touting the benefits of music on mental and physical health. For example, in a meta-analysis of 400 studies, Levitin and his postgraduate research fellow, Mona Lisa Chanda, PhD, found that music improves the body's immune system function and reduces stress. Listening to music was also found to be more effective than prescription drugs in reducing anxiety before surgery (Trends in Cognitive Sciences, April, 2013).

In 2009, researchers led by Lauren K. King of the Sun Life Financial Movement Disorders Research and Rehabilitation Centre at Wilfrid Laurier University, in Waterloo, Ontario, found that short-term use of vibroacoustic therapy with Parkinson's disease patients led to improvements in symptoms, including less rigidity and better walking speed with bigger steps and reduced tremors (NeuroRehabilitation, December, 2009). In that study, the scientists exposed 40 Parkinson's disease patients to low-frequency 30-hertz vibration for one minute, followed by a one-minute break. They then alternated the two for a total of 10 minutes. The researchers are now planning a long-term study of the use of vibroacoustic therapy with Parkinson's patients, as part of a new partnership with the University of Toronto's Music and Health Research Collaboratory, which brings together scientists from around the world who are studying music's effect on health.

The group is also examining something called thalmocortical dysrhythmia — a disorientation of rhythmic brain activity involving the thalamus and the outer cortex that appears to play a role in several medical conditions including Parkinson's, fibromyalgia and possibly even Alzheimer's disease, says Bartel, who directs the collaboratory.

"Since the rhythmic pulses of music can drive and stabilize this disorientation, we believe that low-frequency sound might help with these conditions," Bartel says. He is leading a study using vibroacoustic therapy with patients with mild Alzheimer's disease. The hope is that using the therapy to restore normal communication among brain regions may allow for greater memory retrieval, he says.

"We've already seen glimmers of hope in a case study with a patient who had just been diagnosed with the disorder," Bartel says. "After stimulating her with 40-hertz sound for 30 minutes three times a week for four weeks, she could recall the names of her grandchildren more easily, and her husband reported good improvement in her condition."

The goal of all of this work is to develop "dosable" and "prescribable" music therapy and music as medicine protocols that serve specific neurologic functions and attend to deficits that may result from many of these neurologically based conditions. Rather than viewing music only as a cultural phenomenon, Bartel says, the art should be seen as a vibratory stimulus that has cognitive and memory dimensions.

"Only when we look at it in this way do we start to see the interface to how the brain and body work together."

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/11/music.aspx

Thanks for linking that research Guzzle. I also came across research recently that suggests that listening to rave dance music of the electronic kind can actually release HGH, Human Growth Hormone.

I have to agree, as my Doctors are dumbfounded on how I CAN lift 900LBS by the way of leg press with an extremely low testosterone reading of 277, of that of a 75 year old man.

Although I haven't been tested for it, no doubt my HGH levels must be extremely high to be adding strength to muscles, bones, ligaments, and tendons like I've been doing in measurable amounts, empirically so, and documented as such, in the last year, of being relatively glued to a song and dance almost every day, around 4 to 8 hours a day.

Dance and Song, ALONG WITH Human Will, FAITH, BELIEF, AND HOPE, are definitely my ticket out of devastating and life threatening shut-in illness to the count of 19 medical disorders, over the course of five years.

Unfortunately, during those five years, the type two Trigeminal Neuralgia Pain Disorder that affected my eyes and ears, made it literally impossible to listen to any music at all.

When the pain finally went away enough to listen to music, and the dance AND SONG starts for me again, this is definitely the path to reestablishing physical and emotional health to integrated human being once again, and truly better than ever before, kinda like the 6 Million Dollar man, on DANCE AND SONG ALL NATURAL DRUGS!..:)

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 9:52 am

aghogday wrote:
this is definitely the path to reestablishing physical and emotional health to integrated human being once again, and truly better than ever before

The wind is a whisper that soothes my aching soul or a roar that humbles me deep within.

Never was an integrated being to start with me. Story is in my posts somewhere. I don't like repeating myself.
Music is like glue, a resin that holds my psyche together whilst everything else seems intent on tearing it apart.
It's a damper for all the bitterness I have developed over the years. It cushions the sharp edges.
It allows me to escape into my pre-traumatic world where all was sweet and dandy.

Some musicians are bigger than life. These are some of them
Can't seem to post you tube vids me so click on the link if your curiosity gets the better of you :wink:

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 10:00 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
When I got there, I reclined my seat and found it quite easy to sleep in the car with the sound of the other vehicles driving down this busy thoroughfare.

My car is my temple actually. I love the sound of engines. Only thing I love more is the sound of goods trains thundering past. They mesmerize me.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 10:56 am

guzzle wrote:
aghogday wrote:
this is definitely the path to reestablishing physical and emotional health to integrated human being once again, and truly better than ever before

The wind is a whisper that soothes my aching soul or a roar that humbles me deep within.

Never was an integrated being to start with me. Story is in my posts somewhere. I don't like repeating myself.
Music is like glue, a resin that holds my psyche together whilst everything else seems intent on tearing it apart.
It's a damper for all the bitterness I have developed over the years. It cushions the sharp edges.
It allows me to escape into my pre-traumatic world where all was sweet and dandy.

Some musicians are bigger than life. These are some of them
Can't seem to post you tube vids me so click on the link if your curiosity gets the better of you :wink:

Thanks. :)