Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 11:03 am

At some point you have to trust the system.

It's impossible not to.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Jan 2015, 11:22 am

I'll utilize the system for I have no choice but trust it? No.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 12:03 pm

I trust only those systems that I've designed and constructed myself.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 7:14 pm

It depends. But at least I think you need to understand what it is that you do not trust. Bligthly saying ït does not fit within the confines of my perception of reality, therefore I stubbornly refuse to accept it" gets no-one anywhere.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm

If you've ever used the gov't or local resources or filed a tax return or parked in a signed zone, you're trusting the system. If you've ever taken a bus or train or tram or taxi, you're trusting the system. If you've eaten processed food or take-away or filled the tank of your car or spoken to a policeman or walked the streets of any city, you're trusting the system. The fact that you're online here means you're trusting the system. And so many more examples.......

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 8:11 pm

I trust some systems designed and built by other people, but only so far.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 8:23 pm

Narrator wrote:
The fact that you're online here means you're trusting the system.

ASD people in general might be less trustworthy of "blind faith" in the unknown. Many seem to be atheist, and along that line, many appear not to care to believe in things that cannot be proven.

Start a topic on "The system of Creationism" and see how many WP members ascribe to that system of beliefs.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 8:38 pm

Narrator wrote:
If you've ever used the gov't or local resources or filed a tax return or parked in a signed zone, you're trusting the system. If you've ever taken a bus or train or tram or taxi, you're trusting the system. If you've eaten processed food or take-away or filled the tank of your car or spoken to a policeman or walked the streets of any city, you're trusting the system. The fact that you're online here means you're trusting the system. And so many more examples.......

Not necessarily....trusting the system is not necessary to get benefits out of said system per say. For instance I am on SSI and got my food stamps re-instated but that hardly means I 'trust' the system. More like I hope the system continues things like food stamps and SSI....I do not trust that it will without a doubt continue to do so. I also do not trust that the government as a whole has the best interest of the citizens in mind with much of their policies.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 8:49 pm

Sometimes you drink the milk and sometimes the milk drinks you. Can anyone, perhaps OP explain to me the reason in trusting any system which projects mistrust of its' constituents?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 9:00 pm

Narrator wrote:

I'm guessing you don't work in technology. Routine use of the internet indeed does mean trusting the system, but a working knowledge of IT security, cryptography, game theory, information age legislation and the post-modern power structures thereof provides ample stopgaps to individuals like myself should any facet of this system turn against us.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 9:17 pm

cberg wrote:
Narrator wrote:

I'm guessing you don't work in technology. Routine use of the internet indeed does mean trusting the system, but a working knowledge of IT security, cryptography, game theory, information age legislation and the post-modern power structures thereof provides ample stopgaps to individuals like myself should any facet of this system turn against us.

I worked in IT for 15 years. And, like you, I trusted in my own abilities to protect myself. But I also realised it's a false confidence. Unless you're going to inspect every data packet you send or receive, you can never be completely secure.

But as you infer, people who have less knowledge give away a little privacy and security with every app they install and with every gadgety new way of connecting. How many people use Chrome? How many people examine the permissions they're giving an app before installing it? How many people read the terms/policy they "agree" to when installing a program or registering with a site?

All of which goes to my original premise. Unless you don't connect, and unless you have a non-smartphone, you're trusting the system - some more than others.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

If I didn't 'play the game', I wouldn't have been given a nice, new house to live in,paying $100wk rent, nor would I have free access to medical care 24/7.

You don't have to trust the system, but often you just have to 'go with the flow' no matter how much you hate it or disapprove so that good things will come out of it way down the track.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 10:09 pm

Apologies for my forgone conclusions, although yours seems like a viewpoint that's reached far more easily living outside the US of A. In a panopticon scenario, trusting the system is mutually exclusive with making one's own decisions.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm

Hell. f*****g. No.

To say the least, "the system" painted me with a target. "The system" treated me more like an enemy or a broken machine rather than a human being. "The system" constantly dehumanized me and tried to make sure I wouldn't evolve past a lower form of class. "The system" is making sure that people will hate me purely on the basis of my neurology. "The system" is determined to destroy me.

Call me paranoid-as-fuck, but that's how I've experienced it so far. Perhaps I'll stay cynical, maybe go with the flow or taking a shot when I can, but no. I can't trust the system, when it said it wouldn't trust me.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 10:29 pm

cberg wrote:
Apologies for my forgone conclusions, although yours seems like a viewpoint that's reached far more easily living outside the US of A. In a panopticon scenario, trusting the system is mutually exclusive with making one's own decisions.

If you're implying that living in the US is like living in a panopticon, then you're probably correct on both counts. Although, in Australia, we're not far behind. I walk the streets with cameras on every corner. I expect my Internet activity is a part of the US panoptic monitoring. My financial records are tracked. And I have suspicions regarding my phone calls, text messages and other records. But if I was in any jeopardy, I would limit my activities to only the essentials. Hence a tacit trust is inevitable, often essential, and perhaps even healthy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 10:39 pm

The operant philosophy is "Trust and Verify" ...

I trust my car to run safely, but I still take it in for regular tune-ups, and I have a comprehensive insurance policy on it (more than the required PL/PD policy).

I trust this computer to work, but I still update the AV and OS software regularly.

I trust my wife to manage our finances, but I still audit the books once a month.